Is this all the FPS i should expect?

Hi all,

I semi upgraded my rig, and just wanted to see if you all agree with the amout of FPS i am getting.

• i7-4790k, using ASUS optimal settings (OC) for 4,5ghz
    • EVGA GTX 1070 factory OC (dont remember the clock)
    • SSD drive
    • ASUS z87 mobo
    • 8gb of ram
    • Stock CPU cooler, but never goes above 53 celcius.

Settings:

• Everything to max except:
    • Shadow quality: high
    • liquid detail: good
    • View distance: 7
    • Environemtn detail: 7
    • Groud clutter: 8
    • SSAO: Ultra

AA is running custom through Nvidia Experience, which translates into SSAA 4xCMAA + and the render scale is 160%.

For questing i am sitting steadily between 90-120 FPS
    In world quest heavy environments with 40 players or more, i tend to drop to 40fps.

Is this really what i should expect?

Thanks in advance all:

10+ Year Old Account
    That's normal, cause WoW doesn't care about the GPU too much. A 1060 is hella overkill, and a 1070 is beyond that. This is still an issue with the game engine that Blizzard refuses to address. Mainly cause it scales terribly with CPU cores.

with those settings, yes. Whats render scale at and SSAO ultra has a serious FPS impact depending on the zone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post
    SSAA 4xCMAA + and the render scale is 160%.
    This is not a thing in WoW. If you're running SSAA 4x, you're at 200% render scale. Once you lower the render scale, you're no longer running SSAA 4x.

As far as your numbers, I run an i5 2500k at 4.6GHz and a GTX 1070 at 2000/8808MHz. I have all settings at 10, 8xMSAA, MFAA forced via GeForce Control Panel, and 140% render scale. I see similar numbers while questing and in very crowded WQ areas, I've seen drops to the mid-40s. Raid scenarios (20 man HFC Heroic) I was able to maintain 60+ fps 96.7% of the time.

Not sure why people say WoW doesn't care about the GPU. That hasn't been the case since WoD was released. Changes with the engine allowed for a lot of load to be shifted to the GPU when it was on the CPU before. Hence all the new graphic options which became available with WoD.

I have a GTX 1080 and get TONS more fps than others do with better CPUs but a worse GPU. Everything maxed except view distance which is at 8. 1440p with 180% render scale. Run 90+ FPS in most situations with drops to 40 in world quest areas that have a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzou View Post
    Not sure why people say WoW doesn't care about the GPU. That hasn't been the case since WoD was released. Changes with the engine allowed for a lot of load to be shifted to the GPU when it was on the CPU before. Hence all the new graphic options which became available with WoD.

I have a GTX 1080 and get TONS more fps than others do with better CPUs but a worse GPU. Everything maxed except view distance which is at 8. 1440p with 180% render scale. Run 90+ FPS in most situations with drops to 40 in world quest areas that have a lot of people.
    Cause they are stuck in the past + it does seem like the way up to some cases.

What i mean by that is :

At 1080p with the pre-wod settings a 680 and 560 Ti as example would perform about the same, i am talking default 1080p settings, no render scaling, no anything and they pretty much still do, CPU comes into play after the bottleneck of those settings.

Of course a GTX 1080 will perform better than any older card when you start render scaling and bigger resolutions than 1080.

WoW in WoD--->Legion became much more GPU demanding that before, all the little media cards are struggling at Low settings too now simply because even the low textures have much more than before, as has been the case since MoP.

Also most of the people commenting on here never experienced gaming on a crap PC for long periods or seen how it is to measure the actual difference.

Most people in here have always had a proper gaming GPU that always scaled, so despite tech knowledge, they dont have practical knowledge.

I play Legion from about 5 or 6 different PC Settings becuse friends work there, just bored to stay home to play again, etc etc.

I had the cancerous time on playing on a FX-4300 with a GT 630 the other day, 30 FPS in dungeons with everything on Low.

FX-4300 with a GTX 950 in it, 70+ with a few High/Fair settings so not everything is crapstastic.

I5 3470 with 650 = Playable mixed settings of High/Low.

I5 3470 with 7700 =Playable mixed settings of High/Low

i5 6500 with 390 = Can max most things but i simply dont, i use my own settings.

The game has changed massively, shit PC's cant handle it the way they could before.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-09-19 at 06:00 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Because it's not about getting 200fps out questing on your own. It's about not dropping down to 30 or even lower during raids and even cities like Dalaran. The frames don't dip in Mythic raids or in Dalaran because it suddenly became too graphically intensive. It's because of the high amount processing needed from the CPU in order to render all of the players as well as they're actions. The fps difference in a mythic raid between a GTX 1070 and a GTX 960 is going to be minimal if even existent assuming you aren't playing as some higher resolution with the render scale turned all the way up with unnecessary amounts of AA.

GPU's matter, but only to a certain point. Friend's girlfriend has a 4790 in her PC, for example, yet only has something like a GT 730 (yay prebuilts) and her frames are horrible because yes, it's not good enough to handle the graphics. Playing at 1080p with 4x MFAA and 100% render scale, I wouldn't notice the difference between my 980ti and 770 while raiding.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    This is not a thing in WoW. If you're running SSAA 4x, you're at 200% render scale. Once you lower the render scale, you're no longer running SSAA 4x.

As far as your numbers, I run an i5 2500k at 4.6GHz and a GTX 1070 at 2000/8808MHz. I have all settings at 10, 8xMSAA, MFAA forced via GeForce Control Panel, and 140% render scale. I see similar numbers while questing and in very crowded WQ areas, I've seen drops to the mid-40s. Raid scenarios (20 man HFC Heroic) I was able to maintain 60+ fps 96.7% of the time.
    You are right of course. Interesting thing is, that when it comes
    To crowded areas, the only thing that seems to make any difference is the ground clutter and view distance. All other settings seems
    To have no to minimum impact on fps at all.

Really thought the upgrade from a 4690 to a 4790k would make the difference. Wonder if a heavy OC would allow me to
    Maintain 60 fps in very heavy areas. Open world and dungeons are smooth as shit though, and there sure is a very noticeable difference between my old 3,9ghz 4690 and the 4,4ghz 4790k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing shifted from the CPU to the GPU. What you see is new options that puts even more load on the GPU. The limiting factor will always be the CPU.
    Guess which number that matters? Certainly not the 90+ FPS. That 40 FPS is what you really want to pay attention to, cause that's when the game looks noticeably bad. Though 40 FPS is nothing to cry about, but this is a game from 2004 that looks like cartoon graphics that has a hard time even with a setup like yours. A GTX 1080 is beyond overkill for WOW.

If you could get a 8Ghz version of your CPU, that 40 would easily hit 80. Buying a Titan or 1080 Ti would still get you 40 FPS. Also, a 1060 would also get you 40 FPS. See the problem here?

I'm running a 6600k @ 4.4ghz, 16gb ddr4 3000, and a gtx 970. I've got everything maxed and still dip to 40fps in some scenarios. Certain areas of Val'shara for example, I dip down to 43fps or when there are lots of other players in screen, but 95% of the time I can hold a steady 60fps at 1080p. Just the way wow always has been.

I just replaced my 2500k at 4.5ghz and can't tell a difference in wow at all.

I've just ordered new parts as my system died, it looks like from reading these threads I'm going to see 0 FPS gain over my 2600k + GTX670 when moving to the 6700K + GTX1070.. Oh money well spent.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Put render scale at 100%. It's a complete waste of resources.

And yes, you will get some frame drops when things get busy. That's WoW for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I've just ordered new parts as my system died, it looks like from reading these threads I'm going to see 0 FPS gain over my 2600k + GTX670 when moving to the 6700K + GTX1070.. Oh money well spent.
    well i'm going to imagine you were going to spend money on a new pc anyway if the old one died. nothing wrong with a 6700k and 1070. clock for clock i think skylake is 10-15% faster than good old sandy bridge.

if wow is literally the only game you play you can probably sell the 1070 and grab a 1060, if that money can be better used elsewhere in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    well i'm going to imagine you were going to spend money on a new pc anyway if the old one died. nothing wrong with a 6700k and 1070. clock for clock i think skylake is 10-15% faster than good old sandy bridge.

if wow is literally the only game you play you can probably sell the 1070 and grab a 1060, if that money can be better used elsewhere in your life.
    Na I bought the 1070 mostly because I want it to last a few years (like the 670 still would have if it didn't hit the bucket 2012-2016 RIP), I play a lot of racing games, if I ever wanted to get a 3 screen or VR setup for that it would be ideal so the 1070 was looking attractive, it's pricey though considering previous XX70 cards never hit this premium before.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4