15+ Year Old Account

Flying as a ghost in Suramar

Hey Guys,

yesterday I was doing some WQs in Suramar with a friend of mine and we were dying a lot because...well, reasons. After the 3rd death he (a human mage) said "Hey, why is my Ghost riding a gryphon...HEY I CAN FLY!". When I (a night elf druid) tried I was also able to fly. Now my question... is it possible this has been implemented during the day via hotfix or was it always possible and I am just a scrub that didn't notice it?

But if it always has been possible, why didn't my non-wisp-friends notice it before? Did we die in a special, unreachable place so flying was only available because of that special corpse place? Many questions, no clue so far
    "Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

* * --(Terry Pratchett, Eric)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitanii View Post
    Hey Guys,

yesterday I was doing some WQs in Suramar with a friend of mine and we were dying a lot because...well, reasons. After the 3rd death he (a human mage) said "Hey, why is my Ghost riding a gryphon...HEY I CAN FLY!". When I (a night elf druid) tried I was also able to fly. Now my question... is it possible this has been implemented during the day via hotfix or was it always possible and I am just a scrub that didn't notice it?

But if it always has been possible, why didn't my non-wisp-friends notice it before? Did we die in a special, unreachable place so flying was only available because of that special corpse place? Many questions, no clue so far
    Hopefully it is meant to be, getting around the city as a running ghost can take a little time..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I have died in Suramar more times than I should have, and I've never been on a ghost gryphon. Also I'm going to try and call your bluff since you didn't share any information about the location where you died. How are we supposed to know if you died in an unreachable place if you don't tell us where you were?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velios View Post
    I have died in Suramar more times than I should have, and I've never been on a ghost gryphon. Also I'm going to try and call your bluff since you didn't share any information about the location where you died. How are we supposed to know if you died in an unreachable place if you don't tell us where you were?
    I didn't think about it when it happened so I can't really remember where exactly we died but iirc this picture shows the spirit healer (red circle) and the area we died in (blue circle). Once I flew over water flying was disabled and I had to get back to the city to be able to fly again.

I know I have no proof but I will give you my word that it is the truth and nothing but the truth. Any internet stranger could say that, sure, but because I thought this was supposed to be (because the death after we were still able to fly and someone else im my guild mentioned it as well without us telling him about it).

Maybe someone else has noticed something similar?
    "Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

* * --(Terry Pratchett, Eric)

Deleted
    fun fact

I died in one of the eastern leyline pylon caves and I walked the closest path back to my corpse and while doing that I came across not only one but two spirit healers that were way closer to my corpse than the one the game put me at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    fun fact

I died in one of the eastern leyline pylon caves and I walked the closest path back to my corpse and while doing that I came across not only one but two spirit healers that were way closer to my corpse than the one the game put me at.
    It does this not only with death, but the whistle will often take you miles out of range of the closest flight master for one thats across the map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Flying while dead should be baseline in all zones. There is no logical reason for them to not have it implemented, especially in light of their ridiculous zone designs the last couple expansions.
    Well, I mean, if you can fly everywhere while dead but not while alive it does create an opening for some ugly "creative use of game mechanics" moments where you die at the bottom of something, fly up higher as a ghost, res up there, and repeat until you get to where you're trying to exploit to.

Granted, with the amount of toys and class mechanics you have now, you can mostly reach everywhere some way or another, but that's sort of "fun" gameplay I guess trying to get somewhere you're not meant to get using a glider or something like that... whereas dying over and over to corpse-fly your way there is not good gameplay.

It's a pretty niche case but I imagine that's one reason they don't want to just go "Fuck it, flying everywhere when dead!"
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

They should just make flying baseline when you die, in EVERY zone, since it's been 12 years and they still can't design corpse running properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Velios View Post
    I experienced the same thing while doing the quests to unlock Arcway and Court of Stars. It wasn't a permanent thing though. I could fly upwards for a few seconds then fall back to the ground then I could fly up again but I'd still end up just falling back to the ground a few seconds later. It may be because I wasn't flying out of the area that flight was allowed in, which I don't think is the case because I was in the center of Suramar city or what I believe to be the case is that it's just a bug that's just recently popping up.

Deleted

Just happened to me, the area you see is pretty much what's flyable (Moonbeam Causeway), if I go outside that area I get dismounted.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They should just make flying baseline when you die, in EVERY zone, since it's been 12 years and they still can't design corpse running properly.
    In fairness firelands had the graveyard in the same zone as the raid, it was a start :P