10+ Year Old Account

Guns, Refugees, Trump/Clinton ... US Police Shootings/Brutality?

People become passionate about issues and want to spread the word. As a sub issue, certain kinds of story can allow an otherwise banned topic to go for a few pages (sometimes quite a few).

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee
    A measure of becoming desensitized is when I start hoping we can get a consolidated mega thread for something. Can we get a mega thread for "US Police ... again"?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-with-Hands-Up

When I've reached that point, I have to wonder if the threads are really generating discussion or if it has just ended up the usual dog fight with the same people scoring another +1 for essentially the same comments over and over. Threads about police shootings that focus on one race (when was the last report of violence against a Hispanic or Asian?) are a narrow combination of race and firearms discussion.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

It would be better under different topics, I agree (I think I understand you).

For instance

The black cop suing BLM for 1B+ for inciting racial hatred should be a topic unto itself, maybe even a temporary sub-topic.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/18...ter-obama.html

Something like that can't be contained in a megathread, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will always be exceptions, those even exist today for topics that would otherwise be banned or consolidated.

The mega threads provide a way to consolidate multiple posts that cover essentially the same ground. There are really very few points to distinguish the seventh police shooting thread (numbers pulled out of thin air for an example) from the tenth. As with other consolidated threads, we see much the same lines being drawn between groups ... and those groups address each other as spill over with comments about waiting for poster X to show up with the usual line of Y. Read a few of them and you know who will post and what the main arguments are.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.