Angry Is it near impossible to find a guild?

I've noticed something about being a tank. It's hard to find a guild. I'm not sure if its just me or everyone but I've tried being a tank for 2 expansions now.

My first attempt was during Cataclysm. I rolled a paladin tank and worked pretty hard to gear myself as good as possible without actually stepping into a raid. I did this as soon as the expansion dropped. I was worthless at the time (had no job, no life and my best friend sleeping on my floor) so this happened pretty fast. I came to find out that 99% of all the guilds on my server at the time (Draenor) already had their tanks picked out for raiding. About half of them hadn't finished leveling yet or geared to be able to tank a raid but those spots were already spoken for. I'm guessing this is because guilds stick together and continue raiding for the most part across expansions. I was let down and took a wow break.

I thought I would try the tanking thing again with Legion. I decided to try my Death Knight. They looked cool, wore plate, did stuff with blood. I leveled as a tank and had a blast. Started running dungeons and heroics and had even more fun. The survivability was awesome, damage output was very good and I could heal myself. I immediately focused on gearing up while looking for a guild. I'm currently 831 and joined a fresh guild with like 2 other 110's hoping it would blossom into a new group of friends I could experience and progress through this expansions content together. Guild isn't growing though and is just kind of stagnating. I have been looking around and again cant find any guilds on my server that are looking for a tank. I pay my subscription for wow but can't play the game with the character, spec and role that I want.

Is this like a frequent occurrence and I should just stop complaining? Roll a healer or a dps and try again? I want to raid, how long should I sit out of the raiding scene while I stubbornly search for a guild who will let me tank?

Vertego - Draka

Having the same issue as you. Melee is dominating in Legion so everyone is switching to some sort of melee spec. If you look at most guild recruitment threads, most guilds want ranged DPS of any sort or healers. There's almost an abundance of tanks now because of the addition of Vengeance DHs as well. I fully expected to tank in Legion, however the small guild I first joined had way too many which was a shock to me at first.

If you want to have your pick of the litter, unfortunately you'd be way better off rolling ranged DPS or a healer. I'm not a fan of either so I'm just sticking it out until I find a decent guild or make my own heh. Best of luck!

I'm considering taking a stab and making a guild. I'm wondering though if that's feasible now? I mean in this stage of the game are there even enough unguilded people out there to make a new guild? Will people even be willing to try an unestablished guild? Doesn't everyone want carried for the most part?

Also I want to note how awful the guild finder tool is within the client. Its full bank alt guilds

I thought about creating my own guild as well, but don't want the work involved that comes with it as I've been there before. But at this stage, it seems like the only way I'll get to play the class that I want, and at the times that work best for me. I think there's still quite a good number of people that are having the same problems, you just have to find them and they have to be willing to give a fresh guild a shot. Lots of luck involved too.