Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The Libertarian Party is the only party running a President and Vice President candidates that have gubernatorial experience. They're both also basically scandal free. In any sane election, Johnson-Weld would be consider significantly more stable and qualified to be in the White House than the R or D nominees are.
    Scandal free? Gary Johnson has been condemned by human rights groups for his prision policies in New Mexico.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Scandal free? Gary Johnson has been condemned by human rights groups for his prision policies in New Mexico.
    What a bunch of bleeding hearts think isn't a scandal.

Scandal free? Gary Johnson has literally been condemned by human rights groups for his prision policies in New Mexico.

(i seem to be using literally alot, my bad)
    Disagreement with a policy position isn't a scandal in any meaningful sense. I'd be curious to see the story though, as I have not heard this and thus presently have no explicit position on it.

IIRC the libertarian party wants to return to the gold standard and was a big defender of private prisions.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2016-09-21 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What a bunch of bleeding hearts think isn't a scandal.
    Because privatized prisons are such a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Yeah he's the guy I'd vote for if a vote for him wasn't a throwaway vote.

- - - Updated - - -

He was the governor of New Mexico for 2 terms. Seems to work just fine.

A libertarian is nothing but a classic liberal. Don't confuse it with what we call liberal nowadays, it's completely different. It's the Republican platform minus all the social conservatism, and the corruption you can expect out of both parties.
    Meant to say presidential candidate. Maybe for a state it's ok, though I wouldn't call him a resounding success. He seems like a nice guy, but the amount of faith that libertarians put into the free market is too simple a world view to me. There has to be a balance between free market capitalism and government regulation. You can't swing too far in either direction. And adopting purely free-market practices would have terrible consequences these days anyways.

Ultimately, the question of big government/small government doesn't matter. All that matters is that the government you do have works. Sure, people have complaints about our government now, but the size of the government is not the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Libertarians are fucking lunatics. I mean have you even read some of this shit? https://www.lp.org/platform

The power of the free market will fix everything.

AnCaps are even worse though, even the other anarchist communities make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Meant to say presidential candidate. Maybe for a state it's ok, though I wouldn't call him a resounding success. He seems like a nice guy, but the amount of faith that libertarians put into the free market is too simple a world view to me. There has to be a balance between free market capitalism and government regulation. You can't swing too far in either direction. And adopting purely free-market practices would have terrible consequences these days anyways.

Ultimately, the question of big government/small government doesn't matter. All that matters is that the government you do have works. Sure, people have complaints about our government now, but the size of the government is not the issue.
    Electing a President doesn't mean that they'll get every last thing they want enacted. While Johnson definitely has some views that I would personally consider crank views, the overall direction that he'd like to go is something that I would generally consider a net plus. When considering a President, I think it's more valuable to consider where we presently are, what a President can do, and what direction we'd move than thinking about it purely from what my ideals would be.

As a libertarian, I agree with a lot of his polices, although I feel his foreign policy is weak and his military budget proposals a joke, and his immigration policy disasterous, Outside of that, I like the dude. He is heads and shoulders better than the two idiots currently running

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    The power of the free market will fix everything.

AnCaps are even worse though, even the other anarchist communities make fun of them.
    The NAP will give us our rights.

Scandal free? Gary Johnson has been condemned by human rights groups for his prison policies in New Mexico.
    Have you seen some of the nuts that have in the NM prison system? some of them are barely human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I've always wanted to talk about Cave Johnson. Wait, this is about Gary Johnson? Who?

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    And what is Aleppo?
    Johnson has a good point. Quite frankly Syria is none of our damn business. Let the Russians handle it, Putin seems to be friends with Assad anyway.

We already took 2 dictators (Hussein and Gaddafi) out of power and look what happened to their countries. History has shown that the Middle East needs these kinds of assholes for leaders to keep their unsavory types in check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Have you seen some of the nuts that have in the NM prison system? some of them are barely human.
    Not sure how that justifies his views on prisons?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Not sure how that justifies his views on prisons?
    Because I don't care how they are being treated, as a general rule.

Not a important issue to me.

Deleted
    Good old Gary gets in. Ramps up the Privatising of prisons (half the prison population) with three strike laws. Destroys the reforms made after Santa Fe 1980s riots (which led to better conditions for prisoners and two decades without a instance of deadly violence) overnight. Worst riots in two decades. 'Coincidentally' after recieving campaign donations from Geo Group (Wackenhut at the time) he chose them to run the private prisons he was introducing.

Good old Gary gets in. Ramps up the Privatising of prisons (half the prison population) with three strike laws. Destroys the reforms made after Santa Fe 1980s riots (which led to better conditions for prisoners and two decades without a instance of deadly violence) overnight. Worst riots in two decades. 'Coincidentally' after recieving campaign donations from Geo Group (Wackenhut at the time) he chose them to run the private prisons he was introducing.
    If rioting prisoners only kill themselves, I figure it a net positive to society.

Deleted
    If rioting prisoners only kill themselves, I figure it a net positive to society.
    Stabbed guards to death. So not really. Why cause violence against guards when you can just passify the prison population by not treating them like animals in shit conditions.

Stabbed guards to death. So not really. Why cause violence against guards when you can just passify the prison population by not treating them like animals in shit conditions.
    Shit conditions is a subjective term. I don't give two flying shits about violent offenders. Although I do feel sorrow for the dead guards.

Sigh...I really wish we could bring back the concept of exile.

Wait, are we blaming Johnson for the 1980 riots somehow? I'm not real familiar with New Mexico prison history, but I feel like I must have missed something in this chain of logic.