An Argument for Shadow Mend in Raids

After experiencing Emerald Nightmare, hearing about others' experiences with Emerald Nightmare, I think I'll be working more Shadow Mends into my rotations tonight. While Shadow Mend does negate itself somewhat, I'm not sure it matters in a raid. The reason I don't think it matters is because it applies Atonement. I'm seeing a ton of Atonement overhealing, so I figure Atonement will heal the DoT anyway.

Plea and Radiance are all fine and dandy when damage is expected, but for reactive healing, I'm going to default to Shadow Mend.

Deleted
    I just watched a vid this one to be exact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGVR4DqAqKI the guy is explaining his non blanket atonement rotation in preference of shadow mend and shield to get atonement buffs out and although his burst healing is much lower his overall healing is still quite good considering he got ranked in logged US kills.

I will be personally switching from a raid healer to a spot healer mentality in our next raid, as other then the mana issues I simply felt that too much of my gcd's was spent on spells that did next to no healing and the raid it's self suffered from my over use of those spells, i.e plea and Radiance.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2016-09-22 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    I just watched a vid this one to be exact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGVR4DqAqKI the guy is explaining his non blanket atonement rotation in preference of shadow mend and shield to get atonement buffs out and although his burst healing is much lower his overall healing is still quite good considering he got ranked in logged US kills.

I will be personally switching from a raid healer to a spot healer mentality in our next raid, as other then the mana issues I simply felt that too much of my gcd's was spent on spells that did next to no healing and the raid it's self suffered from my over use of those spells, i.e plea and Radiance.
    Word of warning: the justification that he ranked high is entirely incorrect as Warcraft Logs does not currently subtract the Shadow Mend DoT damage from healing, making it appear as if every Shadow Mend did its full healing.

It's still an okay thing to do if what you're concerned with is individual people randomly dying due to individual damage, which is kind of useful when nobody knows the fights at all. However, it shouldn't result in more overall healing than just playing to Disc's strengths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Word of warning: the justification that he ranked high is entirely incorrect as Warcraft Logs does not currently subtract the Shadow Mend DoT damage from healing, making it appear as if every Shadow Mend did its full healing.

It's still an okay thing to do if what you're concerned with is individual people randomly dying due to individual damage, which is kind of useful when nobody knows the fights at all. However, it shouldn't result in more overall healing than just playing to Disc's strengths.
    While that may be true it's not like the dot is exclusive damage that will always subtract health by X amount, by that I mean it won't always deal damage due to normal incoming damage clearing the dot and what ever extra missing health it does cause will likely be dealt with by other healers with hots.

I don't think it would matter if warcraft logs registered the dot since the dot is in no way boosting disc output unless someone intentionally cause more damage in order to boost their overall output which is unlikely to happen in a raid situation with 2 or more healers.