Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Shit, next thing you know they'll ban hoodies and glocks at work just to oppress black people some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I just like how most of the posts on dreads instantly devolve them to being nasty or mostly nasty.
    Having rope-like hair that is dry, frizzed, and just sorta bunched together looks very unkempt. The means and methods that many people use (especially white people) to get the desired look include fairly nasty methods as well.

If you can pull off actually stylish and clean looking dreads, more power to you, chances are your overall dress and demeanor will be equally polished and you'd be hired just fine.

But when dreads look like this:

Yeah, no.

By simply banning them for a given place of work, they don't have to try to parse whether you're closer to homeboy here or someone far more professional looking, especially when you have 2 job slots and 49 applicants.

Personal appearances aren't sacred.

Comb your hair and you wont have to worry about dreadlocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Shit, next thing you know they'll ban hoodies and glocks at work just to oppress black people some more.
    I had to read this twice.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

The idea of 'looking professional' is nothing more than applied social engineering.
    Yeah, just like 99.9999999% of the things we do every day. Hell, just having a job is social engineering. You can try to put nonsense classifications on shit if you want to, but it doesn't change reality.

Bigzo is right. She was stupid.

People are sue happy, and denying a person a hire really gets under folks skin. They will NEVER agree with the reason you passed them over. So telling them is opening yourself up to a lawsuit.

And let's face it, some people are bias/bigots or whatever. They may even be straight up racist. Telling you that they didn't hire you because you look like a scar faced killer and this is toy store will only end up badly.

HR usually doesn't tell you why you were not hired, even if you ask. The ones that do are doing you a favor, but they are risking legal action every time they do so. As this case demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    A specific race doing something doesn't make it "their thing", just a thing they do. That may be what you mean, but some people seem to confuse the two ideas. Dreadlocks, like so many other things that get attributed to a specific race, are cultural, not racial. Culture is not race and should not be treated as such. Which is why people that whine about "cultural appropriation" are imbeciles. Likewise, people that complain about feathered headresses, etc, for Halloween costumes or football team logos are imbeciles. No group or race owns any culture.
    so I can dress in blackface or very white face for every non-native that puts on a headdress? Excellent. We are people, not mascots.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================