Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Sure, opinions are opinions but it is kind of interesting to know which thing in particular was so important.

Things Jim complains the most about aren't exactly something people typically look for in video games. I mean, yeah, someone might be excited for yet another first person zombie survival Unity game. Or waiting for Konami to turn another one of their franchises into pachinko machine, because "erotic violence". Or gaming media giving multiple awards to games which no one even played yet. Or a game which is solely based on some random meme and nothing else. Or a "game" where it's some clowns making a horrible movie, combining it with shitty Unity asset flip and putting in on Greenlight. Or Digital Homicide.

I would expect that being hypercritical about such stuff is a good thing. I can see his "SJW" aspect, dildos, pogs or weird brand of humor being considered a reason to drop his show, but not these things.
    Translate hypercritical to 'nagging' and you'll most likely side with the person in question. Let's say your impression of me, is that I nag a lot (which I do, sometimes) and that affects your like of me in a negative fashion. Over a longer period you start disliking the nagging and you choose to ignore me (or w/e). This process happens all the time. It happens in friendships (I've personally broken with a friend that was/is always looking for every single fault in every single game, up to the point where the relevance to the game's quality becomes extremely questionable and it started bothering me more and more over the course of 9 years, until I just literally broke it off completely) and it happens elsewhere.

If my impression of Jim would be that he nags a lot, I wouldn't be able to stand him and sometimes I can't. Because some of his vids are more extreme than others. There's no real reason, besides me personally disliking what others might find entertaining.

That said, I never let any single thing color my opinion of a person. Jim leans towards the SJW crowd, I lean the other way. That doesn't mean I dislike Jim. I just dislike his opinion on this subject. In a perfect world people can have discussions on a subject and still be friends. Sadly the real world is often completely black and white.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-09-26 at 11:08 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think that his videos are fun to watch, but he's a fucking douche sometimes.

15+ Year Old Account
    He is very self-aware of what people call him and he takes it with classy sarcasm.

I don't have to agree with everything he says, and I don't, however I have yet to find a junk game where I have to disagree with him on anything he says about it. Like AngryJoe he does occasionally praise some game I'd rather stay away from (such as I did with DA3) however I respect that people have different opinions and I have plenty of people in my list leaning towards different sides of the spectrum.

Contrary to belief he's released plenty of videos where he is positively impressed with a game, he even said himself he doesn't like intentionally fishing for games just to be negative about them. It's just the fact that a lot people try to sell junk on Steam or try to abuse Steam for shady purposes (remember when someone tried to sell WoW on Greenlight?) and that he has become very vocal about it - in my opinion rightfully so. I personally appreciate that he's shining a spotlight where there's only Greenlight and darkness. Simply put: He's like a massage therapist with a sledgehammer with the games he (p)reviews or playtests, he doesn't bow to publishers and frankly, I'd rather save 60 €-bucks due to one of his doomy reviews than giving into hundreds of florid and cheery reviews of others.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    He's a mostly knowledgeable and straight-talking games journalist/pundit, with a lot a credibility as an independent voice since he's privately funded and isn't tied to any big websites or corporations. Years of experience in the industry, generally intelligent and well-reasoned discourse, and a level head when it comes to looking at most topics. His style of content, sense of humour, and tendency to poke fun at the hornet's nest of the internet may not be to everyone's tastes, but as far as commentators on the gaming industry go he's probably one of the better ones out there.
    This is completely opposite to the impression I have of him. THere's nothing level-headed about him, nor well-reasoned. Knowledgeable would be to stretch it.

I don't dislike him for his opinions though. I dislike him because of his insufferable personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Does it matter? What follows will be a discussion about the merit to the hypercriticality and it will be an endless loop. Someone doesn't like. That's taste. Like not liking a painting, or in my case, the entire genre of modern art. I think modern art is trash and mostly shows a complete lack of skills and talent. Others call it seeing into the deepest blue corner of the mind. We don't see eye to eye, but I won't go out of my way looking for a fight with them.
    Um it's a discussion forum, so we discuss, I might well agree with him. So does it matter? Not really in the grand scheme of my life, but as I'm on a forum where people discuss what they do or don't like it might be worth having a discussion.
    I don't know what you use these forums for if not to discuss with other people who may or may not have different views, I'm not interested in an echo chamber.
    I'm genuinely interested to know what feature a consumer might like that Jim has spoken against.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-09-26 at 03:45 PM.

New Jimquisition out today. I would be interested to see what the Anti-SJWs in this thread have to say about it.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Nothing I've ever heard him say has been outright wrong. He may have opinions I don't agree with, but his facts are straight. I don't mind him personally, but can see how his personality could rub people the wrong way. I just see him as a personality/ persona spouting shit on the interwebs.... it's entertaining to me and like I said, his INFORMATION is accurate, even if his predictions or opinions on things may be a little off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    This is completely opposite to the impression I have of him. THere's nothing level-headed about him, nor well-reasoned. Knowledgeable would be to stretch it.
    Can you give examples? His style of presentation may come across as pretty vicious and opinionated, but that's just the flavour and fluff around the actual points he's making, which are always laid out very clearly and contextualised appropriately. Of the various gaming pundits out there, he's one I've always appreciated for acknowledging his own hyperbole and making sure people don't mistake it for the meat of his arguments.

I wonder if he is a digital homicide fanboy >.>

As someone who is constantly looking for gaming podcasts to listen to at work I found his gaming podcast very entertaining, at first.

The problem is after a while I started to notice a pattern where he and his co-hosts constantly would complain about games for not having strong female/LGBTQ characters and instead of just leaving it at that they would harp on that for extended periods of time.

Sterling would also go on rants in his podcasts about his haters who would go accuse him of being an "SJW" in every video he makes or through twitter. It was entertaining at first but he would do it over and over in multiple podcasts on how those haters don't bother him at all while continuously complaining about them.

I got to episode 73 before I finally moved on.

I still enjoy watching his videos on the other hand.

His interview with Digital Homicide was just pure gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want to watch a podcast with him in personally. I really like him in short doses, whereas TB is the opposite..

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Um it's a discussion forum, so we discuss, I might well agree with him. So does it matter? Not really in the grand scheme of my life, but as I'm on a forum where people discuss what they do or don't like it might be worth having a discussion.
    I don't know what you use these forums for if not to discuss with other people who may or may not have different views, I'm not interested in an echo chamber.
    I'm genuinely interested to know what feature a consumer might like that Jim has spoken against.
    I initially thought you just badly phrased that sentence, but really? You want a single feature, or the only feature they dislike so you can think something of it. Brilliant. Discussion for the sake of it. Even more brilliant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I initially thought you just badly phrased that sentence, but really? You want a single feature, or the only feature they dislike so you can think something of it. Brilliant. Discussion for the sake of it. Even more brilliant.
    Honestly i think you've lost the plot. We're talking about Jim sterling, i like Jim sterling, someone else doesn't, I'd like to know what in particular is it that he doesn't like. After 5000 posts you don't actually understand how forums work do you? You talk about things.
    God forbid that anyone questions another posters pov on a subject.
    Do yourself a favor and stop embarrassing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Honestly i think you've lost the plot. We're talking about Jim sterling, i like Jim sterling, someone else doesn't, I'd like to know what in particular is it that he doesn't like. After 5000 posts you don't actually understand how forums work do you? You talk about things.
    God forbid that anyone questions another posters pov on a subject.
    Do yourself a favor and stop embarrassing yourself.
    Likewise mate, likewise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Likewise mate, likewise.
    Congrats on taking a thread off topic though.

I don't think it matters to me why people trust/like/follow Jim Sterling. That's up to them. I personally don't like him.

I'm more of a Totalbiscuit kind of guy. I also don't care if other people trust/like/follow TB. That's also up to them.

Not sure why why other peoples' interests are of any relevance whatsoever to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't "trust" him. I don't know the guy personally. I merely listen to his opinions. A lot of the time I agree with them, sometimes I don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another post reminding me of just how old and how far outside of advertiser's prime target group I am. I had to google search the name to see what this was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Another post reminding me of just how old and how far outside of advertiser's prime target group I am. I had to google search the name to see what this was all about.
    Us old fogies should stick together - I've no idea who he is either, I keep meaning to look him up on You-Tube, then get distracted with music and flight-sim vids.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL at people calling him an SJW. His recent video kinda shows how insane the internet is over that buzzword now..... a game cant have a character who is not white or male without it being some SJW conspiracy, even if the fact the character is not a white male is... well... not important in the game at all.

I enjoy his videos and find the persona to be funny because its just ridiculous... although sometimes cringe. Cant say I agree with him all the time, but he is at least able to articulate in a way that allows me to respect his opinion.