Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What's the point of "Normal Mode"?

We've already got LFR for the casuals that just want to see the content, what's the point in having TWO ridiculously easy raid modes?

I'm not ranting btw, I'm just generally curious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal mode is a lot more difficult than lfr

Just another easy mode that's harder than LFR, which gives better loot. LFR = Really easy, Normal = Easy, Heroic = Normal, and Mythic = Hard

For some humans Heroic is literally impossible. Normal is for them. It's not actually identical to LFR if you were actually a human of such capability. That's all sensationalist hyperbole you see written around the internet by the demographic Normal is not intended for.

The people Normal is actually tuned for don't even go to places like this.

LFR is really intended to be a way to show the end of the story to people that don't raid on any level at all. Or at least that was the intent of its original implementation.

Because normal is harder than LFR, and normal isn't ridiculously easy for everybody.

Normal mode is intended to be for friends and family guilds, where you have some decent raiders who want to bring along friends and family who might not be.

It takes some coordination, but isn't tuned very tightly. Mostly, it lets the burden not rest so heavily on individuals that you have to sit people who don't perform, but instead can just carry them through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

Deleted
    Normal mode is probably the most played difficulty. People play it to improve their gear and get the confidence they need to step into heroic. Also, having "two ridiculously easy modes" just isn't a thing. It just isn't. LFR and Normal are vastly different from each other, more so now than in 4.3.

There is, however something to be said for there being to many difficulties of the same raid and something needs to change there, maybe?

Normal mode is for the people that want to raid but don't raid at an ultra interguild competitive level. May have done 10 or so heroics before raids got out, maybe 1 or 2 mythics.

Quote Originally Posted by DCT1080 View Post

There is, however something to be said for there being to many difficulties of the same raid and something needs to change there, maybe?
    I think we're pretty much right where we should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    We've already got LFR for the casuals that just want to see the content, what's the point in having TWO ridiculously easy raid modes?

It does seem pointless. If I had my way we'd have 2 modes.

Normal mode for most people (including myself, most likely)
    Heroic mode (Extra hard level)

Ideally getting rid of lfr and normal. If they insist on an afk tour mode then keep LFR and change its name.

All we need are two modes, Story and Challenge.
    Story is a solo LFR with NPCs (think the event at the end of Hyjal with Cenarius), and Challenge starts out at Normal difficulty and ramps up to Mythic.
    Story gives cosmetic items, Challenge gives items of ONE set iLevel, and you have to kill all the bosses to be able to complete the set.
    There. No need for fucking around with four different difficulty settings and all the iLevel inflation that brings.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Maybe some casuals want to not only see the content, but have fun with their guildies as well? Have you really never seen a thread like this? You had to post your own?

7+ Year Old Account

Many guilds will be on Normal for several weeks, if not months. Some people are pretty casual, but still like a challenge for their lvl. LFR is not a challenge and not designed to be. It is made to show the raid to people, that is all. People look to normal for early challenging content for a casual playerbase.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

The last time I did a raid on normal was highmaul back when it came out. To me, that was only like 5% more difficult than LFR in MoP. I dunno how normal went after that, as I just stopped bothering, but LFR in WoD was like 200% easier than LFR in MoP. Which was kind of lame because it made the instances extra boring doubled with their terrible loot. I pretty much just stopped even bothering stepping foot into raids after a while and just my sub lapse until shortly before legion.

Least it seems they're improving it's loot now, but I've heard that Legion's LFR is even easier than WoD's? How in the world is that even possible?

If it were up to me, we'd just get rid of all these silly names for things, and change it to "Very easy" "Easy" "Normal" "Hard" "Very Hard" and "Expert Challenge", or something, and everything would have these options, dungeons and raids, and everything would be queuable in that system normal and below.
    Last edited by Otimus; 2016-09-24 at 12:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Normal is for the friends/family guilds, and that is fine
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not ranting btw...
    Yeah, right. Man you're just so fucking HARD CORE aren't you?

If normal modes right now is what introduced me to raiding back in the day, i probably wouldnt be playing wow right now.

Id rather ask what the point of Mythic is, since honestly having more than 2 difficulties seems pointless anyway.

LFR should honestly just get removed entirley, and Mythic while they're at it.

Go back to the way it was, Normal for casuals, Heroic for the hardcores, theres literally no -need- for ramping difficulties for raids as it just creates more content filler around raids rather than more raids to put content in.

However, the way it works as as follows according to a blue post:

LFR is meant for casual players with little time to commit to the game and little investment in raiding, mostly, its for people after the story.

Normal, is meant to be a casual friendly challenge if you will, a slightly harder tier of LFR essentially meant for people that want to have a challenge, but not an unbeatable one.

Heroic, is meant for more experienced players, looking to get into the competetive raiding scene, and particularly serves as a training programme for already hardcore guilds basically being their -baseline- tier.

While Mythic itself, was meant to be the new Heroic, meant to serve as a final end game to those who truly seek a hardcore experience.

Still, in my opinion, we dont need 4 paradigm difficulties for the same content, personally I think they should do something similar to mythic challenges on dungeons and simply remove heroic or mythic entirely so that they can focus on giving those elite raiders their little patch of content -without- sacrificing the rest of the game for a few raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Normal is for the friends/family guilds, and that is fine
    Except its not. Now my guild is forcing me to also do normals to funnel gear to our mains. And dont tell me to find another guild, ive been with this guild for 2-3 years, its just we dont have the same mindsets regarding this. I fucking have half my gear crafted to 850 just to avoid sleep inducing normal modes.

Deleted
    The problem isn't Normal. It's LFR.