Going from Fx-6300 to i3-6100 for mainly WoW. Worth it?

My little nephew plays WoW on a Fx-6300 and R9-280. Just watched him raid Emerald Dream and he only gets about 20-25 fps at best with everything on low. He's only 17 and no job, so I want to get him something that's fairly cheap.

Will he see a big improvement with an i3 6100 since Intel has more powerful cores even though it's a dual with hyperthreading, and WoW mostly uses 2 cores? WoW is really the only cpu intensive game he plays. Has anyone else gone from a 6300 to an i3, and if so how was it? Also if he wants to upgrade in the future, the mobo I get him he'll be able to throw an i5/i7 in down the road.

You are in kind of a crappy spot because while you will see FPS gains going to an i3 amd GPU's also lag behind in WoW by a good margin. That said the CPU is the right upgrade to make if you are looking for more FPS in WoW, and i think it would be worth it (especially if you live near a microcenter, you get 30 bucks off a motherboard with CPU purchase).

Those numbers seem incredibly low for that system. I have a 2500k and a gtx 760 i play on 7 preset with CMAA 1080p windowed fullscreen, i doubt i ever dropped below 60 FPS vsync cap in my emerald run last nite. I would try a reinstall of drivers, or better yet a system format if at all possible.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-09-24 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The i3 will be an upgrade for WoW. I would just keep the R9-280 cause WoW isn't that demanding to warrant an upgrade for the GPU. I have a feeling something is really broken in that PC, cause a FX 6300 on low shouldn't be getting 20-25 pfs in raids.

give us more info about the system , fx 6300 and r9-280 are fine for WoW, its something else , probably the hard disk , you will see better results with an SSD. Also how much ram he got ? Another factor could be thermal throttling, the Fx line are hot chips. Check the thermal paste , tell us the temperatures .

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The i3 will be an upgrade for WoW. I would just keep the R9-280 cause WoW isn't that demanding to warrant an upgrade for the GPU. I have a feeling something is really broken in that PC, cause a FX 6300 on low shouldn't be getting 20-25 pfs in raids.
    Nothing is broken in the OP's system. The FX-6300 has got the single threaded performance of an overclocked Core 2 CPU from 2007. That's what's broken.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

the FX-6300 is utter garbo for WoW, unless you OC it to ~4.5 ghz, have fun baking bread on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalodrei View Post
    give us more info about the system , fx 6300 and r9-280 are fine for WoW, its something else
    This. These components are old but will not result in '20-25 fps at best on low'

Check memory and other processes running including add-ons.

Yes they will, they could barely keep up raiding in MoP without OCing, its no surprise they cant keep up at all now.

Had to play for a couple of hours on a FX-4300, everything low and barely managing 30-40 FPS during a god damn dungeon.

The i3-6100 is a massive upgrade for WoW since it runs at 3.7G too, paired with the 280X and without stupid settings like Ultra and Shadows the kid can easily manage stable 50-60+ during raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Nothing is broken in the OP's system. The FX-6300 has got the single threaded performance of an overclocked Core 2 CPU from 2007. That's what's broken.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
    My brother is currently playing WoW on a Core2Duo E8400 non-overclocked with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a 750ti and has no problems on low, so I'd dispute the idea that an FX6300 is the cause of the issues.

I don't think it is worth spending 200 dollars on an i3 and a new motherboard (and then having the hassle of phoning the microsoft robot to reset the activation on your Windows license).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-09-24 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My brother is currently playing WoW on a Core2Duo E8400 non-overclocked with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a 750ti and has no problems on low, so I'd dispute the idea that an FX6300 is the cause of the issues.

I don't think it is worth spending 200 dollars on an i3 and a new motherboard (and then having the hassle of phoning the microsoft robot to reset the activation on your Windows license).
    I used to play WoW on a Northwood Pentium 4@3.06 GHz, Single Core, with HT back in 2005. I had no issues either. I could post auctions, farm and even level up.

You could still play WoW on a Pentium 4 today and have no issues. It all depends on your definition of "issues".

The OP's definition of "issues" clearly differs from the definition of the word "issues" for your brother. That makes your contribution irrelevant.

P.S.:

I had no issues playing WoW on this PC. It all depends on your definition of "issues".
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2016-09-24 at 11:22 AM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this is WoW and players like to use mods, could it possibly be a mod? I keep saying this but, does the owner of that PC use Recount?

definitely worth go for it!

I have an FX-6100 which is worse than the FX-6300 and I have no fps issues at graphics quality 7 so something is definitely wrong.

Deleted
    I run a p2 1100T and r9 270x, which both are worse than your nephew's components and had no such issues.
    In fact I raided 30men heroic with options on mainly good/high and never had issues like sub-30fps.

You should save yourself the money and give his PC a sweep for any irregularities instead.