Question Soloing on Healers: Different Spec?

So I've been curious about the most optimal way to level a healer character. I play all specs for every class, so I'm fairly learned in how they all play, but I've had second thoughts about a healer's ability to solo in Legion (especially casters).

So far the only healer I have at 110 is a Holy Paladin and it was an okay experience while leveling: slow, but safe. Honestly the burst wasn't too bad either. The trait system that increases damage and stamina for each trait you have is pretty nice.. but is it the best way to solo as a healer?

What I'm looking for in this thread are answers to a few questions regarding the healer's solo experience:

1) If you want to play mostly as a healer at 110 are you better off doing everything in your heal spec (leveling, world quests, etc) or should you do that in a different spec? Obviously your heal spec will get all the AP, so I'm wondering if the "solo spec" would be useless in comparison.

2) If a "solo spec" is more optimal then what is the best for each healer to use? (Paladin, Priest, Monk, Shaman, Druid).

Thanks for the insight.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

I started leveling my Priest as Shadow but actually switched to Disc for about 106-110.

It's not fast killing but frankly I didn't find Shadow particularly fast killing either, for solo questing. And damn it was safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    I started leveling my Priest as Shadow but actually switched to Disc for about 106-110.

It's not fast killing but frankly I didn't find Shadow particularly fast killing either, for solo questing. And damn it was safe.
    Did the same. Did not notice Shadow being faster and Disc had much more survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post

I've heard similar statements from others. Seems like Disc is the best spec to solo with.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

I levelled from 100 to 110 as a Resto Shaman..Didn't die once..mobs die maybe 1-2 CD slower, but the lack of death runs more than made up for the killing time lost!! first time levelling as a healer and if the dmg output remains the same as it is now, i'll continue to do so for the forseeable future!!

That's good to hear! That was kind of my experience with Holy Paladin. I only started to second guess the viability of soloing as a healer when I hit 110 and everything suddenly felt tougher/slower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poranmw View Post
    I levelled from 100 to 110 as a Resto Shaman..Didn't die once..mobs die maybe 1-2 CD slower, but the lack of death runs more than made up for the killing time lost!! first time levelling as a healer and if the dmg output remains the same as it is now, i'll continue to do so for the forseeable future!!
    I've been doing WQ's as Resto for the hidden artifact unlock achieve....damn it is boring. Lava Shock....Lava Surge....Lightning bolt...repeat.

Boring yes.. but is it effective? Really curious if it's better to just do stuff in your heal spec, or to solo in a different spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragopan View Post
    Boring yes.. but is it effective?
    No. It's slow as hell unless you're Disc, which is somewhat bearable.

Levelling as a healer seems to be okay.

However once you reach 110 you will want to do (World)Quests as a dps (or even better as a tank if you have that option).
    Otherwise it will take a lot longer.

Deleted
    Just leveled mistreaver, every level took 60 min, so it went pretty fast.

Thanks for the input everyone!

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled as ret but once I got to 820 Holy paladin does well for solo. Holy shock when you stack a ton of crit can take huge chunks off mobs you fight. Holy I believe has the highest burst and sustain dps of the healers.

Healers definitely do decent and adequate damage now, but also considerably less damage than the dps specs. It is very possible, but not efficient to level or WQ as a healer. The only exception maybe being priests with shadow being so inconsistent. So much of your gear can be used by all specs anyway that switching is very easy.

I can say 100% that at least for monks you are better off as WW than MW for questing, if you care about efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Healers definitely do decent and adequate damage now, but also considerably less damage than the dps specs. It is very possible, but not efficient to level or WQ as a healer. The only exception maybe being priests with shadow being so inconsistent. So much of your gear can be used by all specs anyway that switching is very easy.

I can say 100% that at least for monks you are better off as WW than MW for questing, if you care about efficiency.
    I kind of came to this conclusion as well after branching out into other healers.

Leveling is quickest/most efficient as all tank specs.
    This is especially true for World Quests where the goal is to tag as many mobs as possible in a short DPS window.

This is especially true for my paladin and druid. (both healers, but do Suramar as tank-spec and are invincible when DPSing multiple mobs).
    Have not had any exp as BrewMaster...as those don't seem to exist!