10+ Year Old Account

Fire Legion Megathread

Dear everyone,

this time around we did not have dedicated guide writers so I am creating this thread to post links to useful guides for Fire mages. If someone is interested in writing a Fire guide for this forum, let me know in a private message and we'll talk about it.

Use this thread to ask Fire-specific questions and to talk about the spec in general. Use the guides posted to find out the information you need. Ping me if you find another good guide that you think should be linked here too (including Youtube guides).

Simulation data: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...php?f=4&t=2611
    Rinoa's Fire guide @AlteredTime: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...php?f=4&t=2553
    Icy Veins guide (by Furty from Serenity): http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/fire-mage-pve-dps-guide
    My magic will tear you apart.

Im trying to figure out when to hard cast pyro with Marquee Bindings of the Sun King (Wrist legendary).
    So far I only know Im not supposed to cast it durring combustion or if rune has >4s (assuming buff is 8+ sec)

Quote Originally Posted by Pusekatten View Post
    Im trying to figure out when to hard cast pyro with Marquee Bindings of the Sun King (Wrist legendary).
    So far I only know Im not supposed to cast it durring combustion or if rune has >4s (assuming buff is 8+ sec)
    I am getting pretty good results by popping comubistion when i am almost done casting Pyroblast with the binding buff. However after that I can't figure out whether I should spend time casting RoP with combustion up..

What's everyone's experience so far with wriggling sinew?

It seems to be logical to go cinderstorm so it lines up with combustion at all times. Though a popular fire mage streamer sometimes goes kindling and desyncs the cooldowns with wriggling sinew sitting off cd for about a minute to line up with combustion. So the usage is still the same, pair it up combustion whenever possible.

Sounds bad to have the trinket sit off cd for a while like that but combustion burst is really the only important thing that makes fire mage the beast that it is.

I'll try testing it that way as well and see how it goes. Though I believe kindling will probably be better in most cases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post

It seems to be logical to go cinderstorm so it lines up with combustion at all times. Though a popular fire mage streamer sometimes goes kindling and desyncs the cooldowns with wriggling sinew sitting off cd for about a minute to line up with combustion. So the usage is still the same, pair it up combustion whenever possible.

Sounds bad to have the trinket sit off cd for a while like that but combustion burst is really the only important thing that makes fire mage the beast that it is.

I'll try testing it that way as well and see how it goes. Though I believe kindling will probably be better in most cases.
    By popular streamer you mean Rikh?

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post

Rikh was taking kindling for the purpose of having combustion up as specfic points in the fight, I-E he wanted combustion up for the second set of twisted sisters on Cenarius, and he also wanted to be able to use his combustion after he was sent into the dream on Xavius after he got mind controlled for the big dmg buff
    Last edited by BreaKerNZ; 2016-10-12 at 01:46 AM.

There is a question from Zifnab in the guide from Altered Time that hasnt been answered yet, maybe you guys can help:

This guide doesn't go into any detail about what you should be doing with excess Phoenix Flames between combustion cooldowns (or in short fights where you will never get a 2nd combustion), for instance, with the Phoenix Reborn trait.

What I've been trying to do is this:

Pyroblast immediately following a fireball when hotstreak is up
    - If they both crit, do another fireball followed by pyroblast
    - If neither crit, just cast more fireballs as filler
    - If you end up with only a Heating Up! buff and...
    - You are not in danger of capping Fire Blast charges, and have >= 1 Phoenix Flame charge...
    Cast Phoenix Flames to convert Heating Up! into Hotstreak. Proceed as normal.
    - You are in danger of capping Fire Blast charges, or you have 0 Phoenix Flame Charge...
    Charge up a fireball, fire blast in the middle, pyroblast at the end

The problem I run into is that "Cast Phoenix Flames" step... sometimes the travel time of my previous fireball/pyroblast combo is so great that I either have to delay casting anything at all to determine if I can get a phoenix flames in, or start casting my next fireball the moment the GCD is ready, regardless of whether or not there's a heating up! available, and regardless of whether or not I'm in danger of capping Phoenix Flames charges...

What am I supposed to do in these cases? I can't fit Phoenix Flames in like I can fireblast, because it has travel time, is on the GCD, and when I want to cast it I don't necessarily know if I have a heating up! yet or not. It feels a little awkward and I feel like I've been losing some amount of DPS by holding my cast until I for sure know whether or not the pyro gave me a heating up.
    Last edited by iddqd; 2016-10-10 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    There is a question from Zifnab in the guide from Altered Time that hasnt been answered yet, maybe you guys can help:
    I use my PFs after Cinderstorm. That way, I can reliably know I won't waste PFs if I already have HS procs

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    I use my PFs after Cinderstorm. That way, I can reliably know I won't waste PFs if I already have HS procs
    Good idea! Will try this. But... with Kindling?
    Last edited by iddqd; 2016-10-11 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Good idea! Will try this. But... with Kindling?
    When i'm playing Kindling, I use PF after Fireball when I have 0 procs if I have at least one charge of Fireblast (at least soon)
    If both crits > You can Fireball+Pyro easy
    If only PF crits > You can cast Fireblast while casting your Fireball+Pyro

Deleted
    i think its only if you are off combustion most of the times u will not have RoF but yeah ... i think it still the same as you know (7.1)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Antok View Post
    When i'm playing Kindling, I use PF after Fireball when I have 0 procs if I have at least one charge of Fireblast (at least soon)
    If both crits > You can Fireball+Pyro easy
    If only PF crits > You can cast Fireblast while casting your Fireball+Pyro
    same here. generally since the begining of the legion I was always thinking that they didnt actually put a lot of though into Fire mage Artifact ability.... while it look amazing and fill some gaps.....it seems I dont know empty......

Hey all...

Need some pretty big help here, one of our fire mages is not having a great time at the moment, and seems to consistently parse near the bottom. I don't know much about fire mages, but it looks like the opener is OK but it goes to shit from there. I'd love it if someone could take some time and maybe reply with some tips on how to improve.

Any & all tips would be appreciated.

Logs: warcraftlogs .com/rankings/character/15579540/latest/
    Ursoc: warcraftlogs .com/reports/RABwKVyzNLc3gHpb#fight=16&type=damage-done&source=25

Quote Originally Posted by acr13 View Post
    Hey all...

Need some pretty big help here, one of our fire mages is not having a great time at the moment, and seems to consistently parse near the bottom. I don't know much about fire mages, but it looks like the opener is OK but it goes to shit from there. I'd love it if someone could take some time and maybe reply with some tips on how to improve.

Any & all tips would be appreciated.

Logs: warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/15579540/latest/
    Ursoc: warcraftlogs.com/reports/RABwKVyzNLc3gHpb#fight=16&type=damage-done&source=25
    His opener is wrong, pre pyro is not the best way to do things due to the way the new pots are he's losing damage

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&view=timeline

Rough opener as below

Prepot
    Sinew popped
    fireball 2s out
    Fireball to heating up
    fireblast convert to insta pyro

(there should now be about 6 charges left before sinew buff explodes a weak aura to track stacks is useful don't start cycle before 6 stacks at risk of combustion/rop running out before explosion)

ROP
    combustion
    banked pyro
    fireblast
    pf
    pyro
    pf
    pyro
    (sinew explodeds about here within combustion and ROP cycle hitting for 2m+ and guaranteed crit)
    fireblast
    pyro
    flame on
    fireblast
    pyro
    fireblast
    pyro

FYI my opener : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&view=timeline
    (which I'm sure others will rip apart also )

He should be able to get about 7 pyros out as a non troll and 8 as a troll (I myself normally only manage 6-7 admittedly) and yes before people flame I prefer working in PF first as it then gives time for 1 blast to come up so I can cycle that easier than PF cycling into an opener.

Currently as you can see from the link I gave he got 3 pyros into the first window of combustion and did a fireball hard cast, their second combustion window he got 2 pyros in (@ 211 or so timeframe).

I'm struggling with my DPS currently as well but this is a glaring issue, I didn't check his gearing.
    Last edited by Salystra; 2016-11-07 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Deleted
    does anyone know if cauterizing blink was buffed again? it heals 20% on my mage, the tooltip says 10% (8% + 2% relic), or is it just nerfed in pvp?

edit: tested in pvp and its still 15%
    Last edited by mmoc2bd82fc0b8; 2016-11-07 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjuurou View Post
    does anyone know if cauterizing blink was buffed again? it heals 20% on my mage, the tooltip says 10% (8% + 2% relic), or is it just nerfed in pvp?

edit: tested in pvp and its still 15%
    I'd prefer having blazing barrier buffed, i'm 893 ilvl and barrier barely absorbs 240k... so ridicolous...
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2017-02-03 at 10:17 AM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    I'd prefer having blazing barrier buffed, i'm 893 ilvl and barrier barely absorbs 240k... so ridicolous...
    I'm ilvl 900 its about 360k @ that level versus an arcane mage who's roughly 897 ilvl's 620k shield.

I cast it at the start of the fight then never bother again to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    I'm ilvl 900 its about 360k @ that level versus an arcane mage who's roughly 897 ilvl's 620k shield.

I cast it at the start of the fight then never bother again to be honest.
    Glad i have belovir when needed, it saved my life (and my timed run) at scorpions in +15 nl 2 days ago
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Hello everyone.

I have a 904 fire mage but I deal kinda low damage. My stats atm are 48k int - 55% crit 16% haste 14% mastery 2% vers. I can`t post links, but you can search Gryam-Tyrande (EU) if you wanna check my logs.

Could you guys give me some tips to improve my dps?

Thanks !!

Now that feral has been buffed too no class will stand between fire and last spot on charts, fire mages rejoice!! Booby prize is yours!!
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Fire Mage Always dangerous