Difference between duty finder and raid finder?

I recently played the free trial of FFxiv and I am tempted to buy the game. But one thing that is bugging me is raid finder vs duty finder. I came to know by reading some forum posts that duty finder is use to dungeons, trials as well as raids. So what is the purpose of raid finder? Because if people can use duty finder to do raids then I don't understand the use of raid finder.

Raid finder is the tool people use to create their own groups. You list your group or apply to other peoples groups and you manually build a group.

Duty finder is a matchmaking tool that will randomly place you in a group with other random members.

Duty Finder is used for most easy content and non current savage/extreme whereas Raid Finder is used for the current savage raid wing and in the future current and previous EX primals.

10+ Year Old Account
    The raid finder is the duty finder, and the reverse. Main difference is the size of the queued people and length (time) of the dungeons.

So that means raid finder in FFxiv is like the premade group system in WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially, yes. There's a premade group system in FFXIV just like in WoW, where you can create stuff for, well, literally everything. From questing to FATEing, from dungeons to raids, from normal roleplaying to ERPG.

There's also an embedded system like the dungeon finder (/raid finder) in WoW which just do the exact same thing. The difference is when you reach Savage raid content, as it is more or less identical to Mythic raids in WoW; cannot queue into it and unable to make a group cross realm (WoW) or queue up for via dungeon/raid finder (FFXIV) before the current patch passes out and new raid content arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalene View Post
    Essentially, yes. There's a premade group system in FFXIV just like in WoW, where you can create stuff for, well, literally everything. From questing to FATEing, from dungeons to raids, from normal roleplaying to ERPG.

There's also an embedded system like the dungeon finder (/raid finder) in WoW which just do the exact same thing. The difference is when you reach Savage raid content, as it is more or less identical to Mythic raids in WoW; cannot queue into it and unable to make a group cross realm (WoW) or queue up for via dungeon/raid finder (FFXIV) before the current patch passes out and new raid content arrives.
    As of 3.4 you will be able to queue savage content in the duty finder. I don't think anyone without a full group would want to do that though.

I bought the game, started playing and noticed that there are 3 types of finders: Duty finder, raid finder and party finder.

The grouping system in FFXIV can be split mainly into two categories:

1) Automated queueing (Duty Finder; which includes Dutys, Guildhests, Trials and Raids) = you hit a button and get added to a queue and when it's your turn, the UI "pops" letting you know "HEY IT'S YOUR TURN, HIT THIS BUTTON TO ENTER!" This is exactly Like World of Warcrafts LFG tool.

2) Looking for Group shout made easy (Party Finder) = a tool that lets you create a "group" with a purpose, required number of people, the roles of each person, etc... and then place it into a universal place that everyone can see and if they meet the requirement, are able to hit a button to join your group. once the group has met your requirements, you then queue for the content you want via the Duty Finder (since you have to enter everything through the Duty Finder, having a full group just eliminates any wait time you might have).

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys guys he MIGHT mean the NEW raid finder..

Their ate 3 things in this games two have been mentioned.

The first two were covered very well by Katchil (also ffxiv lfg predates wows pre-made group fi Der)

RAUD finder is to learn raids you can que for a specific phase and go into the fight at that part, better to learn it and find like minded people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neuronfly View Post
    I bought the game, started playing and noticed that there are 3 types of finders: Duty finder, raid finder and party finder.
    See my post above the raid finder as I said is to learn fights so you can que fir phase 2 3 ir 4. It is am automated group finder for people learning raids basically a brilliant idea imo.

And welcome to eorzea I hope you enjoy it