Asus power surge problems

I’m currently experiencing some computer issues. In June 2016 I built a computer following the mmo champ build of the month Puppy build (http://www.mmo-champion.com/build-of-the-month/).

On Friday I started experiencing power surge shut downs. It would happen a couple times throughout the day. The ASUS motherboard has power surge protection so it shuts down the computer automatically. I wasn’t using a power surge protected power strip. In fact the power strip I was using was quite old, at least 5+ years.

The next morning I came back to my computer shut down because of a power surge. Turned it on, it was ok for a little while then shut down gain. I turned it on and shut down almost immediately. I waited a little bit, turned it on. And it worked for a while then shut down again. I unplugged one of my monitors (Was using two). And unplugged the TV from the outlet shared with the power strip. It worked for the rest of the night.
    But today I woke up and it was shut down due to a power surge. I bought a power surge protection power strip, and plugged in my computer and one monitor. I checked all the connections inside and out, all are firmly in place. I dusted out the inside of the computer, even the power supply. And tried at least 6 times, even trying low power mode. It would shut off after 2-3 minutes of being on. I tried leaving it alone for an hour or two. Still happening.
    And finally. One last attempt. Computer got stuck on black screen with _ . Not doing anything.

I have ordered a new power supply. I’m afraid to do anything else with this. I’ve already tested other outlets in the house and still same issues. I have moved twice in the last 2 months and maybe it got damaged during the move but it’s been almost 2 weeks since the last move.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on? I’m worried that I just wasted money on a new power supply and it won’t be the fix. Has anyone experienced this before

Could be the PSU but unlikely, when they go bad usually nothing happens at all when you press the power button. Only thing i can think of is make sure the ram is seated and pull heatsink of your CPU make sure that is seated as well. If this happened out of nowhere and was working fine otherwise that usually points to hardware failure, most times motherboard.

Ive read a few articles that asus power surge protection can be turned off, is it safe to do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus's power surge protection is extremely sensitive and can be the cause of a lot of false alarms. However due tp the 600b being an HEC OEM doesn't exactly instill faith. It's hard to say without measuring equipment or other computers to test.

Update on this (posting for the OP): bought a new power supply. everything worked for 2 hours. then it shut down. turned off the power surge and everything was fine for an hour. then monitors turned black. tried plugging them into the motherboard ports and still black. but my PC itself was still running. was still able to hear and talk in skype while it happened. had to turn off computer. was able to play for another hour before monitor turned black and cam back on and got a kernal power recovery message. then a few minutes later they went black again and did not come back. its been happening every 45-50 minutes now, 3-4 times total. The PC seems to remain functional other than I can't see.

I did do a clean install of video card driver the first time it happened. No luck. Another thing to note, I have been having some audio issues lately. I tested with both my headset and speakers, the audio in the left side wont work, there is a vibrating sound. Something leads me to believe these problems are related. Could this be the motherboard? I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow...my final attempt at determining if its software related. but any input and advice would be much appreciated.

If the PC is still "on" but you can't see anything are you sure the issue just isnt your monitor? I've seen monitors have bad caps to just go out randomly.

Also I would recommend a UPS with AVR to protect your PC from power surges and power outages which can be just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin3o4 View Post
    If the PC is still "on" but you can't see anything are you sure the issue just isnt your monitor? I've seen monitors have bad caps to just go out randomly.

Also I would recommend a UPS with AVR to protect your PC from power surges and power outages which can be just as bad.

Well both monitors are going black, and they are both different brands. I don't see them both going out at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaletha View Post
    Well both monitors are going black, and they are both different brands. I don't see them both going out at the same time.
    Are the monitors connected via DP cable? Could you try with HDMI/DVI?

(What video card are you using?)-nvm, google cache says ASUS R7 370.
    Last edited by dsmet; 2016-09-28 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmet View Post
    Are the monitors connected via DP cable? Could you try with HDMI/DVI?

(What video card are you using?)-nvm, google cache says ASUS R7 370.
    One monitor is HDMI and the other is DVI. and the graphics card is msi gtx 960