10+ Year Old Account

Question [Help] New PC Build (6700K/GTX1080) After So Many Years, Would Love Some Answers

I want to build a gaming PC after many years of playing with an old computer. I'll be playing on a 1080p/60 Hz monitor for now, but I'm planning to get a 1440p/144 Hz G-Sync one in the near future, so it needs to be able to handle it. My budget is around 2.5 to 3K.

I'm from Turkey, but I'm buying every part that can be bought from Amazon as it's cheaper even with the shipping and customs fee. The rest, I'll be buying from here. I prefer Amazon and no other international sellers as these are quite the expensive components, and I don't trust anywhere else in their customer support in the case of any problems.

Here's the build in my mind:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($458.00)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($115.02 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($320.00)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($344.00)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($158.57 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.68 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
    Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($225.00)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.92 @ Amazon)
    Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($104.10 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series Purple 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan
    Total: $1957.29
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 18:21 EDT-0400

The GPU will be bought from Amazon too, but not in stock right now so add 700 USD on top of the total.

The components with amazon price tag are the ones that can be bought from here. The parts with the custom prices are the ones that I'll be buying in Turkey. I converted their price to USD to give you an idea of how expensive PC parts are in here.

I have a few questions that I'd love to be answered.

1. Is the mobo too much? Can I buy a cheaper one that can handle all of these? If you have any suggestions, I'd like one with newer tech such as USB-C and it should be available in Turkey or on Amazon (shippable to Turkey).

2. Should I just buy the 6700K now or wait for the Kaby Lake processors? I'm getting a bit impatient but I can wait a few months if the majority thinks it's worth it over the 6700K.

3. Air Carbide 540 has slots for three 120mm fans in the front, two on the top and one 140mm slot at the back. I'm thinking of putting three Corsair Air Series Purple 52.2 CFM 120mm Fans in the front take air in, do a push/pull on the CPU cooler (with four of these fans) and mount it on the top of the case, and do an exhaust fan on the back.

With this many fans (3+4+1 = 8 just from the case and CPU cooler), would it be too noisy? Could the mainboard control these fans to keep them silent when there is not much load? I'm thinking of OCing both the CPU and the GPU but I don't know anything about fan and noise control. Should I buy a controller in this case? I would love some advice on this.

I asked the same questions on Reddit, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get some different opinions from here too. Thanks in advance for all the answers.

First of all, please list your trusted retailers in Turkey that you will be ordering from. Now the questions:

1. Yes.

2. Kaby Lake desktop processors are coming Q1 2017. That means at least 3-4 months wait. From what it looks like now Kaby Lake are gonna be a basically overclocked Skylake.

3. 120mm fans are pretty loud in general, I would advice using 140mm fans if you're concerned about noise. In any case 99% of motherboards wont be able to control 8 fans, so yes, you probably need a controller.

This is what I suggest, please check availability for shipment to Turkey:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($337.02 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($125.87 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($180.62 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.59 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($638.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($137.88 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.92 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1867.89
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 20:19 EDT-0400
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your answer! I'll check out the motherboard, but I prefer EVGA in GPUs for their great international customer support. Also, I'll stick with my case choice too, as Air Carbide 540 is the look I want to go for. May I ask why you suggested NZXT Kraken X61 instead of the H100i v2? Is it because NZXT is 280 mm so it can take two 140 mm fans, therefore it can be more silent?

Quote Originally Posted by Tau View Post
    May I ask why you suggested NZXT Kraken X61 instead of the H100i v2? Is it because NZXT is 280 mm so it can take two 140 mm fans, therefore it can be more silent?
    Corsair H100i is one of the loudest 240mm AIO coolers there is. Goal with the X61 is to be a lot more quiet (which is not hard to do), more efficient and not much more expensive.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($92.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($634.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1560.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-27 09:05 EDT-0400

I made some changes due to a lot of parts selected on the above build such as the CPU cooler and motherboard, PSU are overpriced for what they are, its cheaper and the performance will be the same and technically speaking quieter, it should be note worthy that motherboards do not effect performance and only MAYBE allow you to get 100 Mhz more overclock but in fairness you would have to ramp up the fans a lot to get 4.5 Ghz on that CPU, its not a worthwhile trade off.

I also chose the fractal case because you don't need to add more fans, just use the included fans that come with the case or buy just 1 extra fan so you have 2 intakes and 1 outtake, you DO NOT NEED more fans, this is the ideal set up and any more fans will not yield any tangible difference and you are just creating more noise and expense, also its a quieter case but in all honesty its subjective choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    it should be note worthy that motherboards do not effect performance and only MAYBE allow you to get 100 Mhz more overclock but in fairness you would have to ramp up the fans a lot to get 4.5 Ghz on that CPU, its not a worthwhile trade off.
    Just get a bigger CPU cooler than. I agree, I would skip on an AIO cooler. But I would than get a bigger aircooler, dark rock pro 3, noctua or cryorig ultimate.

4.5 Ghz should not be that big of a deal for a 6700k btw, it is only 300 Mhz on top of the normal boost speed. But could be that comment was mainly meant in combination with the H5.

Deleted
    Always felt the 4 Ghz was already overclocked at its hardware level and its just marketting but depends really, I see more people using that chip at 4.4 Ghz then 4.5 Ghz though silicon lottery really and I think that cooler will still be fine at cooling 4.5 Ghz but that means ramping the fans up to a reasonable degree, though I may be projecting my own preference and thats setting clocks based on the lowest fan speed the system lets me do.

My H5 fans never goes above 1000 RPM, they run around 600-800 RPM, I am a silence freak :P.

Deleted
    I got a 6700k with a cryorig R1 universal, it is clocked at 4.5 Ghz and it is silent. I do not know at which speed it is running, probably around 1000-1200, could check that when I am home. More importantly, it is silent

Could be I got lucky with my chip, although I did not get it higher so far. Than again, 4.5 Ghz is already more than enough for anything I do with it. TBH, I would probably say the same at stock

Regarding noise... I have 2 x case fans in my PC.
    A 200mm at the front, 120mm at the back. Thermaltake Suppressor F51 case.
    PSU acting as exhaust too.

Using an air cooler (no pump noise)
    When I first turned it on I had to check the lights on the mobo to know if it was actually on! (TV was on)

So less fans but the biggest you can get = less noise.
    Also a fan controller means you can set it at barely audible and just check it keeps everything cool.
    Some cases have them integrated or can be powered off the mobo.

I have the Hero mobo and am happy with it btw.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I got a 6700k with a cryorig R1 universal, it is clocked at 4.5 Ghz and it is silent. I do not know at which speed it is running, probably around 1000-1200, could check that when I am home. More importantly, it is silent

Could be I got lucky with my chip, although I did not get it higher so far. Than again, 4.5 Ghz is already more than enough for anything I do with it. TBH, I would probably say the same at stock
    Yeah was tempted by the R1 universal my self, I do have the H5 universal and thats keeping my 5820K at 4.3 Ghz decently cooled, but 4.5 on the 6700K isn't rare but just shows how good some of these air coolers are (also how much cheaper as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fizz View Post
    Regarding noise... I have 2 x case fans in my PC.
    A 200mm at the front, 120mm at the back. Thermaltake Suppressor F51 case.
    PSU acting as exhaust too.

Using an air cooler (no pump noise)
    When I first turned it on I had to check the lights on the mobo to know if it was actually on! (TV was on)

So less fans but the biggest you can get = less noise.
    Also a fan controller means you can set it at barely audible and just check it keeps everything cool.
    Some cases have them integrated or can be powered off the mobo.

I have the Hero mobo and am happy with it btw.
    I agree.

I have 3X120mm (Silverstone) fans in the front (INTAKE), 2X140mm (Corsair Silent) fans at top (exhaust) and 1X140mm (Corsair Silent) fan (exhaust) at the top. In addition, my case is configured to intake air naturally from the bottom (2 120mm slots). I own the Corsair 780T case.

My case comes with a pre-installed Corsair fan controller which works at lowest setting. All my 6 fans are completely inaudible. Only my CPU Cooler is barely audible.

My setup is also rather ideal for GPU air cooling.

I recommend though you use Corsair fans only because installing 3X120mm non-Corsair fans (at the front) on a Corsair case is a huge pain. I just re-used the fans from my old case so no choice but to install 3 fans at front.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot for all the answers and the discussion. I'll do a little bit more research on the parts and come to a finished list. I see the most arguments arose about the cooling. My latest plan is to get two 140 mm fans for the front of the case for intake (I'm sticking with Corsair Air Carbide 540 for the case), two for the CPU cooler radiator at the top (120 mm or 140 mm depending on the CPU cooler I'm going with) and one exhaust at the back of the case (200 mm if it fits, 140 if not). I'll see if my mobo has enough fan headers to control them. If it does, I guess I can make the PC as silent as possible, otherwise I'll just get a cheap fan controller.

In this setup, I need to use the fans on the radiator as exhaust, right? I think this way the case will have positive air pressure and keep the dust out (not sure about this tbh).

The reason I stick with AIO liquid coolers is because I don't want a humongous (wot) CPU air cooler sexually harassing my case's aesthetics. I'm willing to trade off a little bit of silence for it.

I don't recommend WC.

Here's why:

What follows is the video famous PC watercooling expert and youtuber Jayz made after his $6.5k custom loop leaked. Jayz has been doing watercooling for over 12 years:

Next, a video of PC expert and youtuber Bitwit whose AIO cooler leaked, destroying his $1k CPU and X99 mobo:

Even AIO coolers require maintenance, and they give you no guarantee that they will not leak as I learned when I read my Fractal Design Kelvin S36's manual. Need less to say I resold the WC AIO on Ebay 30 minutes later.

In case you go with WC, which I don't recommend, I believe the best use for it is as exhaust although in a big case like mine you could mount a 2 fan AIO (e.g. Kraken) in the bottom as intake.

Not all air coolers are huge monsters as you see in my build below:

My air cooler offers near WC performance. There are high quality AC's this size which are good enough. Personally, I'd never WC the CPU as I don't think it's worth it, only the GPU. This is where it is really worth it if you are willing to take the risk, although again I don't recommend it.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    I made some changes due to a lot of parts selected on the above build such as the CPU cooler and motherboard, PSU are overpriced for what they are, its cheaper and the performance will be the same and technically speaking quieter, it should be note worthy that motherboards do not effect performance and only MAYBE allow you to get 100 Mhz more overclock but in fairness you would have to ramp up the fans a lot to get 4.5 Ghz on that CPU, its not a worthwhile trade off.

I also chose the fractal case because you don't need to add more fans, just use the included fans that come with the case or buy just 1 extra fan so you have 2 intakes and 1 outtake, you DO NOT NEED more fans, this is the ideal set up and any more fans will not yield any tangible difference and you are just creating more noise and expense, also its a quieter case but in all honesty its subjective choice.
    4.5Ghz is not much for a Skylake processor. That Fractal Design case is designed for a quiet operation, not airflow, it's subpar to some $60 cases in that department. Their fans also have to be changed if you want decent airflow. I'm not going to comment any further because you clearly didnt read the OP: he only orders from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Just get a bigger CPU cooler than. I agree, I would skip on an AIO cooler. But I would than get a bigger aircooler, dark rock pro 3, noctua or cryorig ultimate.

4.5 Ghz should not be that big of a deal for a 6700k btw, it is only 300 Mhz on top of the normal boost speed. But could be that comment was mainly meant in combination with the H5.
    H5 doesnt compete with 240/280mm AIO coolers or two section towers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot for all the answers and the discussion. I'll do a little bit more research on the parts and come to a finished list. I see the most arguments arose about the cooling. My latest plan is to get two 140 mm fans for the front of the case for intake (I'm sticking with Corsair Air Carbide 540 for the case), two for the CPU cooler radiator at the top (120 mm or 140 mm depending on the CPU cooler I'm going with) and one exhaust at the back of the case (200 mm if it fits, 140 if not). I'll see if my mobo has enough fan headers to control them. If it does, I guess I can make the PC as silent as possible, otherwise I'll just get a cheap fan controller.

In this setup, I need to use the fans on the radiator as exhaust, right? I think this way the case will have positive air pressure and keep the dust out (not sure about this tbh).

The reason I stick with AIO liquid coolers is because I don't want a humongous (wot) CPU air cooler sexually harassing my case's aesthetics. I'm willing to trade off a little bit of silence for it.
    200mm wont fit in the back, 140mm max. Radiator fans are always exhaust, unless you cannot (for some reason) mount it to the top and have to mount it to the front. There is no way to have positing air pressure using a radiator with double fan with this case though (unless you want to use rear intake, which is not a good idea). The best airflow setup (considering you plan GPU overclocking) would be using a 3x140mm front intake, 140mm rear exhaust and 140mm side intake, which would obviously require a difference case. Alternatively you can use an air cooler, but you are probably limited to NH-D15 here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I don't recommend WC.

Not all air coolers are huge monsters as you see in my build below.

My air cooler offers near WC performance. There are high quality AC's this size which are good enough. Personally, I'd never WC the CPU as I don't think it's worth it, only the GPU. This is where it is really worth it if you are willing to take the risk, although again I don't recommend it.
    Not gonna lie, those videos definitely spooked me. I guess I'll take a look at CPU AC's too. Can you recommend one that's silent, has good performance and looks good? The price is not that important as long as it's good (unless it's ridiculously expensive, of course). Yours doesn't look bad at all. Also how does the AC's with two fans work? One of them does intake and the other does exhaust? Or do they both blow out the hot air?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    200mm wont fit in the back, 140mm max. Radiator fans are always exhaust, unless you cannot (for some reason) mount it to the top and have to mount it to the front. There is no way to have positing air pressure using a radiator with double fan with this case though (unless you want to use rear intake, which is not a good idea). The best airflow setup (considering you plan GPU overclocking) would be using a 3x140mm front intake, 140mm rear exhaust and 140mm side intake, which would obviously require a difference case. Alternatively you can use an air cooler, but you are probably limited to NH-D15 here.
    Do you have any recommendations for good AC's? I heard nothing but good things about NH-D15, but it hurts to look at. Whoever went with that color choice needs to be fired.

Do you have any recommendations for good AC's? I heard nothing but good things about NH-D15, but it hurts to look at. Whoever went with that color choice needs to be fired.
    Noctua NH-D15, Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme or be quiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro. Latter two are close to impossible to buy in the US. There are also Cryorig R1 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE but they are subpar to the first three and R1 is also the most expensive out of the five (which is completely unjustified).

Can you recommend one that's silent, has good performance and looks good? The price is not that important as long as it's good (unless it's ridiculously expensive, of course). Yours doesn't look bad at all. Also how does the AC's with two fans work? One of them does intake and the other does exhaust? Or do they both blow out the hot air?
    Dual fan air coolers such as my Thermaltake Frio OCK (out of stock)...

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-F...ct_top?ie=UTF8

...use one of the two fans as intake and the other as exhaust. In the photo above, the right CPU fan acts as intake and the left one as exhaust, exhausting on the rear of the case.

I would recommend mine to buy but unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere and Thermaltake stopped producing so big AC's because they did not sell well. The reason why was that they cover 2 of the 4 RAM slots and therefore one cannot use high-heatspreader OC RAM sticks and must go with Low Profile sticks such as my G.SKILL ARES.

I searched in AMAZON.COM for AC's with similar design and heatsink size with mine (big enough to give nice oerformance but not f...ing huge such as NOCTUA) and I recommend the following:

1. Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler with dual 120mm PWM Fan Model RR-212X-20PM-A1

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...+120mm+PWM+Fan

2. Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 High-end CPU air cooler. Featuring 3D Vapor Chamber technology and customizable cover designs (expensive)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B12DQ38

3. Thermaltake NiC C5 120mm Untouchable CPU Cooler CLP0608 (cheapest but least performance - on the plus side it is small enough to enable to use high heatspreader RAM such as G.SKILL TRIDENT X)

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-1...t_sims?ie=UTF8

*4. Noctua NH-U12S (Best Performance at reasonable price - not huge)

https://www.amazon.com/noctua-NH-U12...=noctua+nh-12s

If you buy this, you should use two fans on it not one, as shown here: http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...103314480l.JPG

------------------->On the question "Bigger CPU Heatsink and Low Profile RAM or Smaller CPU Heatsink and Tall High-Profile OC RAM" I'd go with "Bigger CPU Heatsink and Low Profile RAM".

RAM speed/OC RAM is completely irrelevant to gaming as exlained here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/m...ing-on-haswell

Hope this helps. Have fun with your PC.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2016-09-28 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added Noctua NH-U12S

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it. I'll do one final research and see which ones I can buy from here and for how much, and go from there.