Thread: GTX 1080 issues

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Then get some older nvidia from afrend and try it like that. if you still have problem then its not 1080 related

Make sure you got the latest Nvidia drivers, some of the previous ones had issues with adding latency (only on 10xx series cards) and were only very recently fixed for SLI. setups.

Since you say your GPU clock is not moving, it means it is waiting on some other part of the PC most likely the CPU, but it could also be that your hard drive is being hammered by something so check what is using all your system resources.

your numbers are still a little vague.

What are your actual framerate numbers in say:

Azsuna?
    Dalaran?
    Val'Sharah?
    Suarmar (City)?

Not how much lower or higher they are than some other arbitrary number you haven't told us, but the actual numbers.

What are your settings on:

Shadows
    Draw Distance
    Particle Density

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    your numbers are still a little vague.

What are your actual framerate numbers in say:

Azsuna?
    Dalaran?
    Val'Sharah?
    Suarmar (City)?

Not how much lower or higher they are than some other arbitrary number you haven't told us, but the actual numbers.

What are your settings on:

Shadows
    Draw Distance
    Particle Density
    i capped my fps on 60 max forground fps.

Shadow: Low
    Distance: 1
    Particle Denisty: Low

Azsuna: 60 fps but on appearing of WQs new models etc, it goes down to 10 then goes back to 60.
    Dalaran: 30-50
    Vel'sharah: 30-50
    Suramar: 30-50

There's definitely something going on, but it isn't your GPU.

The reason the GPU clock is not going up is because nothing is stressing it. I guarantee you its sitting idle at least 40% of the time - my 1080 barely gets 50% usage.

WoW is incredibly CPU limited (the three settings i listed, for instance, have NOTHING to do with GPU power beyond a certain point, as soon as you have "enough" GPU to handle them, they become entirely CPU bound) but you shouldnt be having the problems your having out in the world.

There has to be something else eating up resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    There's definitely something going on, but it isn't your GPU.

The reason the GPU clock is not going up is because nothing is stressing it. I guarantee you its sitting idle at least 40% of the time - my 1080 barely gets 50% usage.

WoW is incredibly CPU limited (the three settings i listed, for instance, have NOTHING to do with GPU power beyond a certain point, as soon as you have "enough" GPU to handle them, they become entirely CPU bound) but you shouldnt be having the problems your having out in the world.

There has to be something else eating up resources.
    Another possible reason for GPU clock not going up are buggy Nvidia drivers but that's supposedly already eliminated as a source of problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Another possible reason for GPU clock not going up are buggy Nvidia drivers but that's supposedly already eliminated as a source of problems.
    This is a common problem for both AMD and Nvidia. From what I remember, Nvidia uses downgrade to older drivers to fix this.

I already have the latest driver installed and tried to reinstall them as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did WQ with a 40man raid and ofc the fps was pretty low 20-30 fps.

The CPU temp didn't went above 40C and the usage on core 1 was going between 20-30% the other cores were random.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of upgrading, try downgrading your drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Geobod View Post
    I already have the latest driver installed and tried to reinstall them as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did WQ with a 40man raid and ofc the fps was pretty low 20-30 fps.

The CPU temp didn't went above 40C and the usage on core 1 was going between 20-30% the other cores were random.
    20-30 FPS in a 40 man seems right for your setup. That's a lot of stuff going on in a confined space, so your PC held up pretty well. 20-30% seems very low with all 10s, are you using the 64bit client? Granted, that mostly has to do with memory, but when I run all 10s with 4k render in a big raid, I get 4 cores pegged at 100%. Something appears to be wrong with your machine that I'm not sure can be explained.

Are you running windowed or full screen? You should try wow in full screen with the 64 bit client and see if that helps. Not full screen windowed, Full screen.

I noticed the low FPS issues in these new areas as well. I opened up MSI Afterburner and say that, indeed it was only using about 40% utilization of both 1080s. I then opened up Task Manager and found that only one core was maxed out while all others were hovering just barely over idle. To confirm that it was a CPU bottleneck, I used Nvidia's DSR feature to force WoW to render in 4k on my 1080p monitor, and FPS stayed exactly the same while GPU usage went upto about 80%.

From my testing, I can only conclude that the new Legion areas are more heavily dependent on CPU than GPU, and if you are looking at running everything at highest settings, there is not a CPU on the market that can get over 60 fps reliably. This issue is going to be there until something happens with how WoW utilizes resources, whether that's making better use of multi-core CPUs or putting more load onto the GPU, something major would need to happen on the backend of WoW to make this work better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaithEatery View Post
    I noticed the low FPS issues in these new areas as well. I opened up MSI Afterburner and say that, indeed it was only using about 40% utilization of both 1080s. I then opened up Task Manager and found that only one core was maxed out while all others were hovering just barely over idle. To confirm that it was a CPU bottleneck, I used Nvidia's DSR feature to force WoW to render in 4k on my 1080p monitor, and FPS stayed exactly the same while GPU usage went upto about 80%.

From my testing, I can only conclude that the new Legion areas are more heavily dependent on CPU than GPU, and if you are looking at running everything at highest settings, there is not a CPU on the market that can get over 60 fps reliably. This issue is going to be there until something happens with how WoW utilizes resources, whether that's making better use of multi-core CPUs or putting more load onto the GPU, something major would need to happen on the backend of WoW to make this work better.
    All of this is true-ish (some details are a little off, but the basic sentiment is correct); however, the OP is only seeing 35% on one core, usually with WoW (certainly on my rig - OCed 4790K) one core sill be pegged at near 100% any time youre in a remotely stressful area, so SOMETHING is going on that is preventing WoW from utilizing the CPU fully.

OP - check power saver settings. My 4790K started misbehaving recently because it would reset to power saving mode (some Win 10 issue that cleared up after an update). Make sure it is set to high performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not the first time of hearing someone with an issue of GPU utilization. This occurs for both AMD and Nvidia owners who play WoW. Maybe this is something that should be addressed to Blizzard since nobody has found a solution to this issue.

The last thing he should experience is a cpu limited scenario with a f* I7 6700k OCed unless he got some kind of issues with his power supply; but at that point he should experience lock-ups left and right.

I'd honestly format your drive, reinstall Win10; given your computer i assume you also got a SSD driver so you can perform a sub 5 minutes reinstall using a USB pen instead of a DVD.

If you don't want to do that; i'd try actually removing any kind of drivers and go as far as native drivers of your Win10 just to see the differences. If it' as bad or ironically better, then i wish you GL for your upcoming quest on finding a decent driver for your setup.

Do you, by any chance, own a license of the newest 3dmark? If that runs smoothly and with good results we can exclude any kind of faulty hardware; which i guess is you biggest concern at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    The last thing he should experience is a cpu limited scenario with a f* I7 6700k OCed unless he got some kind of issues with his power supply; but at that point he should experience lock-ups left and right.

I'd honestly format your drive, reinstall Win10; given your computer i assume you also got a SSD driver so you can perform a sub 5 minutes reinstall using a USB pen instead of a DVD.

If you don't want to do that; i'd try actually removing any kind of drivers and go as far as native drivers of your Win10 just to see the differences. If it' as bad or ironically better, then i wish you GL for your upcoming quest on finding a decent driver for your setup.

Do you, by any chance, own a license of the newest 3dmark? If that runs smoothly and with good results we can exclude any kind of faulty hardware; which i guess is you biggest concern at this point.
    i have the heaven benchmark will that do?

i capped my fps on 60 max forground fps.

Shadow: Low
    Distance: 1
    Particle Denisty: Low

Azsuna: 60 fps but on appearing of WQs new models etc, it goes down to 10 then goes back to 60.
    Dalaran: 30-50
    Vel'sharah: 30-50
    Suramar: 30-50
    These numbers are numbers I noticed being caused by the Xbox app. You may have disabled it, but I recommend removing it completely if you don't use it.

Open powershell as admin, then type:
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage

This was locking me and my 1080 at 30-40fps. Once removed, i'm now running at normal frames again.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

10+ Year Old Account

We've had people before in this forum with a similar issue with a variety of graphic cards. Pretty clear there's a bug in the game that's causing this.
    I did the same thing when I had an issue over a year ago when WoW ran like crap on my FX 8350. Of course, it benchmarked fine in 3Dmark. Luckily I had a spare motherboard lying around and swapped it, and the performance was normal. So I ended up exchanging it on Amazon, and since then everything has been fine. Turns out one of the VRMs had failed, and you could see it in Prime95, cause some cores took much longer to finish than others. Like at some point it would never finish, but the other 7 would continue just fine. And this is why I have a water block on my motherboards VRM's.

i have the heaven benchmark will that do?
    I guess it's fine but honestly, @Dukenukemx hinted for a better solution: a stress test for your CPU/GPU; Prime95 and the likes.

It's not like you will find out how to fix WoW, but at least u'd be sure your nice rig is working as it should be.

If you are willing to, try to install an older OS like win7 or 8 and see if there are any difference.

Am noticing now, that the usage of my GPUs while running wow does not exceed 20%-30% and still the coreclock stuck at 1695 MHz, However if i set the Anti-Aliasing to max the Coreclock starts to change up to 2055 MHz. i will try Prime95 and see.

- - - Updated - - -

Did it, still nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it's fine but honestly, @Dukenukemx hinted for a better solution: a stress test for your CPU/GPU; Prime95 and the likes.

It's not like you will find out how to fix WoW, but at least u'd be sure your nice rig is working as it should be.

If you are willing to, try to install an older OS like win7 or 8 and see if there are any difference.

The thing is am afraid that the CPU has the issue because when i was overclocking it before i tried to go up as high as 4.9 Ghz in the test the PC restarted itself (safety probably) but that was before the legion and at that time i wasn't playing wow so i didn't give it much thought.