10+ Year Old Account

Elon Musk/Space X vision for how we will get to Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1YxNYiyALg

Thoughts on it? Quite a long video, but super interesting. I'll admit I do not know much about the actual science, but anyone who does feel free to comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish him all the success the R&D to get this legit going is already a good thing.

Having some understanding of the mechanics at play, I'd say it's absolutely doable. Will it happen in Elon's current planned timeline? Probably not. It's going to be great watching that thing lift off for the first time though.

And for the love of all things holy, screen the bloody questions beforehand! Half of the people asking off-topic bullshit should be given a one-ticket to Mars on the first ITS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Having some understanding of the mechanics at play, I'd say it's absolutely doable. Will it happen in Elon's current planned timeline? Probably not. It's going to be great watching that thing lift off for the first time though.

And for the love of all things holy, screen the bloody questions beforehand! Half of the people asking off-topic bullshit should be given a one-ticket to Mars on the first ITS.
    That second question though about burning man and toilets.. And he thought there was no water on Mars.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like his electric self-driving vehicle and AI goals.

However his Mars colony model where people pay $100k+ to travel there seems very odd when Mars is far less hospitable than Earth. Even after you account for things like pollution, such as burning all fossil fuels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a waste of money and time. Focus on electric vehicles Elon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    That second question though about burning man and toilets.. And he thought there was no water on Mars.
    [13:07] <Splenda> this question
    [13:07] <Splenda> I think this guy's head is still at burning man

Pretty much.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I would love for humans to finally colonize Mars, however I strongly doubt there will be a million people by 2060. People are always wrong when tech is suppose to happen, it always takes longer.
    X

Deleted
    way too complicated for me, but I like space and spaceships :3

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    However his Mars colony model where people pay $100k+ to travel there seems very odd when Mars is far less hospitable than Earth. Even after you account for things like pollution, such as burning all fossil fuels.
    The inhospitality is not a direct factor. It's the abundance of resources from which you can synthesize the elements you need. In Mars' case you can produce oxygen, water, and rocket fuel from the materials already found on Mars. People would be living in domes no matter which celestial object we'd choose to settle on, so why not just go where we can get the resources we need?

Deleted
    Got to love that mans ambition
    Even if it isnt possible, still have to aim high to get humanity forward!

What a funny guy. Just crushed a rocket due to design defects and making up chimeras about reusable starships with 500 jets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What a funny guy. Just crushed a rocket due to design defects and making up chimeras about reusable starships with 500 jets.
    Statements like this make you sound like a clueless simpleton to anyone who knows anything about the realities of space flight.

And to put into perspective the amount of trust that people have in Musk's ability to deliver on his promises: when he announced that he was opening up pre-orders for the Tesla Model 3, people just up and gave him $325 million, with an implied future sell-through of $14 billion... in just one week.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    that he was opening up pre-orders for the Tesla Model 3, people just up and gave him $325 million
    There is a saying that a sucker is born every minute. Hell, people still are waiting for their PowerWalls...

But why? I honestly do not see the purpose of populating Mars, Mars makes earth after an all out nuclear war look like paradise, I'm all for space exploration and pushing technology, but Mars?