Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Necks/rings in weekly mythic chest

Can this not be a thing?
    My friend and I received and 865 neck from the chests which had improper stats thus a downgrade. We were just screwed out of a weekly reward from our chests.
    That isn't fun. Rings/necks are too specific for what's an upgrade and what's not, they shouldn't be included in the loot pool for your weekly reward.

Literally anything not a ring/neck would've been an upgrade for us, a substantial one at that. It sucks.

Was this game beta tested?

so you're whining because you didnt get the specific piece you wanted?

is that what im reading?
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    Can this not be a thing?
    My friend and I received and 865 neck from the chests which had improper stats thus a downgrade. We were just screwed out of a weekly reward from our chests.
    That isn't fun. Rings/necks are too specific for what's an upgrade and what's not, they shouldn't be included in the loot pool for your weekly reward.

Literally anything not a ring/neck would've been an upgrade for us, a substantial one at that. It sucks.

I hope you continue to get rings and necks until the expansion is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Any piece from the chest could be a downgrade if its not itemized correctly. I could get an 865 trinket but thats not going to beat out my 850 trinkets.

You're not guaranteed an upgrade.

This is literally how loot has always been.

You can have an amazing helm and a boss drops one that you don't need. How is the chest situation any different?

The problem here is the magnitude of your entitlement, not the game.

Certainly agree. Necks and rings should just be removed such ridiculously bad slots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    so you're whining because you didnt get the specific piece you wanted?

is that what im reading?
    Nice reponse, great insight! Idiot...
    Infracted.

On topic:

I think the OP has a point. Of course there can not and should not be a guarantee that you will receive amazing upgrades from your chest every week. The issue is ring and neck slots having zero main stats on them. Usually those ensure that with higher itemlevel even "bad" or worse secondary stats on an item don't make it useless if it has 5, 10 or 15 more itemlevels.

A 850 necklace has 1.805 stats on them. At 865 it has 1.862. Thats only 57 more points for 15 itemlevels!

The value of secondary stats in terms of DPS per point easily is 1 DPS per point difference (sometimes more). So even if you get amazing upgrades in terms of itemlevel, the secondary stats are essentially the only important number on these slots.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2016-09-28 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    Nice reponse, great insight! Idiot...

On topic:

I think the OP has a point. Of course there can not and should not be a guarantee that you will receive amazing upgrades from your chest every week. The issue is ring and neck slots having zero main stats on them. Usually those ensure that with higher itemlevel even "bad" or worse secondary stats on an item don't make it useless if it has 5, 10 or 15 more itemlevels.

A 850 necklace has 1.805 stats on them. At 865 it has 1.862. Thats only 57 more points for 15 itemlevels!

The value of secondary stats in terms of DPS per point easily is 1 DPS per point difference (sometimes more). So even if you get amazing upgrades in terms of itemlevel, the secondary stats are essentially the only important number on these slots.
    this also means a socket can easily be worth over 25 ilvls, an 880 neck with bad stats can be worse than an 840 socket, thats pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post

"Main" stats are not necessarily the most valuable for some specs. Last I checked (and these specific examples may be out of date with recent changes), Destruction Warlocks valued raw Haste more than Intellect, and Affliction valued Mastery slightly higher than Intellect as well.

But the point is, even if a slot that uses your primary stat (like, let's say, Int for a Warlock) drops and is a higher level than your current, it may STILL be a downgrade.

If I have an 850 Mastery/Haste chest (Affliction's best secondaries), and an 865 Vers/Crit chest drops (Affliction's worst stats), it would be a significant downgrade.

Anything with secondary stats can be a downgrade even with higher item levels... which is every slot. So how is ring/neck different?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daigotsurezan View Post
    "Main" stats are not necessarily the most valuable for some specs. Last I checked (and these specific examples may be out of date with recent changes), Destruction Warlocks valued raw Haste more than Intellect, and Affliction valued Mastery slightly higher than Intellect as well.

But the point is, even if a slot that uses your primary stat (like, let's say, Int for a Warlock) drops and is a higher level than your current, it may STILL be a downgrade.

If I have an 850 Mastery/Haste chest (Affliction's best secondaries), and an 865 Vers/Crit chest drops (Affliction's worst stats), it would be a significant downgrade.

Anything with secondary stats can be a downgrade even with higher item levels... which is every slot. So how is ring/neck different?
    Because from the other pieces you get some primary stat increase to at least partially cover the shitty secondary stats. Sure, higher ilvl on non-jewelry pieces can still be a downgrade, but the difference is not as pronounced as it is on rings and necklaces.
    We're a band of vicious pirates,
    we depend on RNG.
    If I only get one buff,
    then bury me at sea

Yeah that's the problem.
    If you get an 865 of ANY ITEM not jewelery first week and you hadn't done heroic EN it's probably an upgrade in every single slot.
    Unless the neck/ring rolled your proper secondaries, it'll be a downgrade.
    It sucks.
    It sucks really bad, it's horrible and shouldn't be a thing.
    Last edited by ShiyoKozuki; 2016-09-28 at 08:05 PM.

Can this not be a thing?

What..? The loot is completely random just like a dungeon. When you finish a mythic plus you get random loot from that dungeon... When you open your chest you get random loot from all the dungeons. No they will not exclude certain pieces that would be silly. Everybody in my guild got some super sick pieces of gear and I got a completely garbo trinket. Boo-hoo I got unlucky on to next week. I'm not on the forums complaining. I would rather have the possibility to get a sick trinket like the Chrono Shard at a high ilvl while also retaining the possibility of getting an absolute garbo trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    What..? The loot is completely random just like a dungeon. When you finish a mythic plus you get random loot from that dungeon... When you open your chest you get random loot from all the dungeons. No they will not exclude certain pieces that would be silly. Everybody in my guild got some super sick pieces of gear and I got a completely garbo trinket. Boo-hoo I got unlucky on to next week. I'm not on the forums complaining. I would rather have the possibility to get a sick trinket like the Chrono Shard at a high ilvl while also retaining the possibility of getting an absolute garbo trinket.
    You don't even understand the complaint.
    The complaint is that ilvl RARELY matters on neck/rings because only secondaries matter on them because they don't have main stats. That means that people who consistently get neck/rings from their WEEKLY chest will be screwed out a 100% obvious upgrade in nearly any other slot. It feels bad that your 1 weekly item is vendor/DE trash.

It's perfectly fine if you get a piece of armor that's a downgrade, but I feel that neck/rings should be completely excluded from this WEEKLY loot table because of how an upgrade via these slots work compared to ANY other slot.

You don't even understand the complaint.
    The complaint is that ilvl RARELY matters on neck/rings because only secondaries matter on them because they don't have main stats. That means that people who consistently get neck/rings from their WEEKLY chest will be screwed out a 100% obvious upgrade in nearly any other slot. It feels bad that your 1 weekly item is vendor/DE trash.

It's perfectly fine if you get a piece of armor that's a downgrade, but I feel that neck/rings should be completely excluded from this WEEKLY loot table because of how an upgrade via these slots work compared to ANY other slot.
    No I completely understood the complaint. The point I was trying to make is that the loot is completely random from every piece of loot available to drop from any mythic dungeon. Sure you might get a bad ring or neck but oh well. You might also get an amazing one. That's just how RNG works. I got an absolutely crap trinket. My 870 trinket from that chest was worse than my ilvl 840 one but it's just RNG. I could have easily gotten an 870 chrono shard.

Yeah trinkets probably shouldn't be in the chest either, idk.
    Getting nothing out of your ONCE PER WEEK loot is just..not fun.

Items with no primary stat were a good idea in theory, and poor in practice because Blizzard honestly doesn't understand how their own god damned stats work. (You only have to look at some of the downright stupid stats thrown on some specs' artifacts to see that.)

Bad stats shouldn't exist. Slightly less optimal stats? Sure. But downright awful stats? That's just bad balancing.

To be honest, I think they should just remove Mastery and versatility, and all those items should just have varying degrees of crit and haste respectively. I mean, okay, maybe mastery can stay (even if it is a kind of wonky stat to exist in an RPG in the first place), but versatility is just kind of redundant.
    Last edited by Otimus; 2016-09-28 at 08:19 PM.

Yeah trinkets probably shouldn't be in the chest either, idk.
    Getting nothing out of your ONCE PER WEEK loot is just..not fun.
    It doesn't matter. Getting nothing out of your once per week kill on heroic Xavius isn't fun either but that's how the game is, has been, and will be.

Hey if you're an enchanter at least you got a crystal out of it. Maybe it's good for an Offspec?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Items with no primary stat were a good idea in theory, and poor in practice because Blizzard honestly doesn't understand how their own god damned stats work. (You only have to look at some of the downright stupid stats thrown on some specs' artifacts to see that.)
    I don't even know how it was a good idea in theory to begin with. Did blizzard give a good explanation why they changed this?