What role has the most impact in dungeons/raids?

I have been DD my whole life, occasionally tanking or healing off specc, never for real. And now, after all this time, I feel like DD has not enough impact, even when playing at near perfection. I am not satisfied with the reward for playing well, I feel like an exceptional dps can be replaced any moment.

So my question now is, is healing or tanking at near perfection more rewarding? Do you feel like you can surpass other ppl with smarter decision making? I feel like healing is a role, that would actually suit me better. What about tanking? Is an exceptional tank noticeably better than a good tank?

As a DD you do your rotation and are, often, at the mercy of rng to push good numbers. Is it the same as a tank or healer at high level of play?

TLDR: Has exceptional healing or tanking more impact in group content.

Deleted
    All roles can make huge impact if they are played exceptionally well. I don't think it's more noticeable for tanks and healers personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of them play a significant impact and it's practically impossible to assign "who has the most important job" at higher levels of play.

Try to push +3 chests in a Mythic+ while having any role slacking off. At lower difficulties, you could say a DPS, as one of the DPS could be slacking off and you could push +3 chests, but that could apply to any role I guess. Once you get to +4 difficulty, I feel they're all the same. Tanks need to pull somewhat fast and properly pop mitigation. Healers need to be on top of dispels and keeping people alive. DPS need to kill shit ASAP, provided that they aren't standing in shit and aren't pulling aggro off the tank (skitterish).

7+ Year Old Account
    Role importance goes like this, it is also worth noting that the more important roles are also more challenging:

1. Tank: You are the leader of the group. Not only do you have to know every mechanic of every boss, but you also have to know many mechanics of trash mobs. If that wasn't enough responsibility for you, many tanks are also raid leaders so you're responsible for teaching and leading other players. Tanking is the most challenging, but rewarding role in the game.

2. Healer: You are almost as important as the tank. A good healer will know all of the fight mechanics of a raid. A good healer will know when to use specific cooldowns and abilities to correspond to the amount of damage going out during the fight. Healers have to use their abilities both preemptively and reactively. Most healers are not leaders, they are the followers and supporters of the group.

3. DPS: Just stay out of the fire and press your 3-button rotation or I will replace you with one of the other millions of DPS-players that can do your job just as well as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    TLDR: Has exceptional healing or tanking more impact in group content.
    Well, in a dungeon at least, if a tank or healer dies, the group will notice it very quickly. If a DPS dies, not so much, until the boss enrage hits. So in terms of impact of the group, tank and heals would be.

In raids. It varies because you have more than one of each role.

Finally, are you looking for a more rewarding experience because you are bored with DD, or, instead you looking to become that star member in the group, which without you, the group will fail. Guaranteed?

Because in a raid, everybody is important. The most valuable member(s) in a raid group? The ones who does not die regularly. Because when you are kissing the floor, you are a dead (pun intended) weight and not contributing anything.
    Last edited by Sansnom; 2016-09-28 at 02:15 AM.

Tank, its on your shoulders to lead the group, and you fucking up generally means a wipe for it. More true so in M+, as without a tank that knows what they're doing and can understand which mobs they can pull and which they can't, then the runs will be impossible on +2 or +3, theres only so much a hunter or rogue can pull for a tank without knowing what they themselves and the healer are capable of.

Doesn't mean the other 4+ people aren't just as important, but without a good tank as the foundation, that has experience or has read up on where they're going, its going to be difficult, the same can not be said for the others who do the same basic role every time with a small amount of variation from boss to boss.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    Role importance goes like this, it is also worth noting that the more important roles are also more challenging:

1. Tank: You are the leader of the group. Not only do you have to know every mechanic of every boss, but you also have to know many mechanics of trash mobs. If that wasn't enough responsibility for you, many tanks are also raid leaders so you're responsible for teaching and leading other players. Tanking is the most challenging, but rewarding role in the game.

2. Healer: You are almost as important as the tank. A good healer will know all of the fight mechanics of a raid. A good healer will know when to use specific cooldowns and abilities to correspond to the amount of damage going out during the fight. Healers have to use their abilities both preemptively and reactively. Most healers are not leaders, they are the followers and supporters of the group.

3. DPS: Just stay out of the fire and press your 3-button rotation or I will replace you with one of the other millions of DPS-players that can do your job just as well as you can.
    I agree with this. Performing well is something all three roles need to do, but it takes more than that to down a boss. Raid awareness and communication are two other important aspects. Many times the tank is the raid leader, because he / she needs to know the mechanics.

There's also the fact that there are many, many more DPS than there are healers, and tanks are an even smaller amount in comparison. There are supposed to be more DPS in the game because groups take 3 DPS and 1 of each other role (increase in incriments for raids). However, the disparity is even larger, because Tanks and Healers have way more pressure on them. Healer fucks up, everyone dies instantly. Tank fucks up, everyone dies instantly. Having all DPS doing their best is only required for top teir content, which isn't done by most people.