Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Teenagers keep trying to invade my guild

Did all veteran players stop playing?
    Granted, I started playing WoW when I was in my early 20's. That was back in vanilla. I'm 32 now and I'm actually the oldest player in my guild. Not that there are a bunch of kids in there, most are in their mid 20's and there is no guild drama (or else I would have left long ago). We're also having fun in raids and progressing nicely (7/7 hc).
    But, since we're progressing well in PvE, we're getting a lot of applications as well. And most of those are between 17-22 years of age. Where are all these kids coming from?
    What happene to all the 30+ guys and gals? Got married and made kids?
    That is probably the most likely scenario. Back when I was 25, I had my own raiding guild with plenty of people. But then I had time, now I don't even want to take on officer role, or even a minor guild responsibility. I just don't want to dedicate my time. I guess most 30+ are/already have quit the game?

EDIT:
    Jesus people I'm not talking about how well they perform in raids. I wouldn't care, hell, I don't play FPS games anymore because I can't keep up with kids reflexes. They have more time to spend in WoW and are usually better than me in games.

But the mentality is way different. Between someone 17 year old and me who's 32. How we approach certain tasks is way different.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2016-09-28 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Did all veteran players stop playing?
    Granted, I started playing WoW when I was in my early 20's. That was back in vanilla. I'm 32 now and I'm actually the oldest player in my guild. Not that there are a bunch of kids in there, most are in their mid 20's and there is no guild drama (or else I would have left long ago). We're also having fun in raids and progressing nicely (7/7 hc).
    But, since we're progressing well in PvE, we're getting a lot of applications as well. And most of those are between 17-22 years of age. Where are all these kids coming from?
    What happene to all the 30+ guys and gals? Got married and made kids?
    That is probably the most likely scenario. Back when I was 25, I had my own raiding guild with plenty of people. But then I had time, now I don't even want to take on officer role, or even a minor guild responsibility. I just don't want to dedicate my time. I guess most 30+ are/already have quit the game?
    because people at 30 dont have time for stupdi shit like raiding on schedule - we have much more important stuff to do irl

Deleted
    And why does that matter? Maturity is a personal trait and has little to do with age, same with skill and experience.

Age does not represent how well someone can play the game. Also funnily enough WoW is rated T which means Teenager who would have thought that? :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyze View Post
    And why does that matter? Maturity is a personal trait and has little to do with age, same with skill and experience.
    I'd wager there's a strong correlation between age and maturity, especially in video games.

The kinds of applications you get also depend on how you present your guild. If you are pretty hardcore and have long raiding times and demand certain commitments, many people with family commitments or busy/unpredictable working lives will not be attracted by that.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Teenager"
    "17-22 years old"

Wat.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Darn kids! Back in my day, we had to WALK to the raids! Yeah, that's right! WALK!"

Oh, don't mind me, i'm just making fun of the vets

Deleted
    You should be glad that WoW still attracts new (younger) players. Btw when i was in that in that age i was way more ambitious in that topic than now as i am 35.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The5thVegetable View Post
    "Darn kids! Back in my day, we had to WALK to the raids! Yeah, that's right! WALK!"

Oh, don't mind me, i'm just making fun of the vets
    damn right we did!! in everqust we didnt have fancy things like mounts and maps! you youngsters are so priviliged nowadays!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    "Teenager"
    "17-22 years old"

Wat.
    SevenTEEN
    EightTEEN
    NineTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Where are all these kids coming from?
    Sit down right there and let me explain it to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Veshx View Post
    SevenTEEN
    EightTEEN
    NineTEEN
    Twenty
    Twentyone
    Twentytwo

I like how you ignored the other half because it contradicts with your argument.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know plenty, myself included. But, I can't commit to scheduled raiding for several reasons, such as 5 dogs, house responsibilities, a SO, needing to go up early af - I value my sleep highly now a days. Also medical reasons I didn't suffer from a couple of years ago. Out of the 15 friends I have on my b.net that are currently playing all are 28+ and only 2 of them does proper raiding.

I did some organized pug raiding in WoD. Such a hassle tbh and the reward were meager. If I would ever return to raiding it would have to be proper hardcore progression, since that is what I find the most enjoyable. But it's never gonna happen. Life got in the way :P

snapshot of an wow veteran

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    Twenty
    Twentyone
    Twentytwo

I like how you ignored the other half because it contradicts with your argument.
    You obviously didn't see the point then.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Age does not represent how well someone can play the game. Also funnily enough WoW is rated T which means Teenager who would have thought that? :O
    the point op was probably trying to make, is that people want to surround them selves with like minded people. i'd wager a 32y old to have a different set of priorities, goals and interests than a 16 year old even if they're both playing the same game. I don't think anyone is saying that a teenager cannot play the game well enough. ofc they can.

Deleted
    Nope, 31 here and still going strong. Though, I did switch to a guild where raids start later, people are more mature and are older of age. I'm done with "kids" telling me how to prioritate my life and rather raid with people who are in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I'd wager there's a strong correlation between age and maturity, especially in video games.

The kinds of applications you get also depend on how you present your guild. If you are pretty hardcore and have long raiding times and demand certain commitments, many people with family commitments or busy/unpredictable working lives will not be attracted by that.
    From personal life experience (I'm 33), I'd say the general populace is generally immature well into old age. Age pretty much has nothing to do with it. Pretty much most people seem to be fairly immature until they're saddled with some sort of immense responsibility. Otherwise, I find most people, well into their 40's, even, seem to be the same general loud mouthed angry potheads/drunkards/whatever you encounter anywhere else online.

The one exception, I think, is some fairly young ones from the new generation of online/smartphone/social networking, where they're seemingly super unsocialized and used to talking via text on a phone than in person, in so much as they're just not acclimated to dealing with human beings as much as us older folks.

I can't believe this is a real thread.

31 year old here. Some of my best raiders over the years were 18-22.

When I started playing, I was 18.

10+ Year Old Account
    22 years old = Kids now? I was 18 when I started playing myself, 30 now.