Prot warrior hotfix different/bugged?

Fellow prot warriors,

Need help determining if I'm just bad at math, if I'm bugged, or if the hotfix they applied to us was different than the patch notes actually describe. I was playing last night and did a few heroic dungeons + some World Quests, and I noticed that while Shield Slam was indeed changed to be 10 rage, the "nerf" to Vengeance did not seem to be uniform. What I mean by this is that my discounted Focus Rages seemed to be reduced by 35% now (30 rage --> 19 rage), my discounted Ignore Pains seemed to be reduced by 45% (60 rage --> ~33 rage).

My testing wasn't 100% consistent (sometimes it seemed like it cost anywhere between 31 and 35 rage when discounted), but I think some of that can be attributed to either "Rage From Damage Taken" occurring right as I used Ignore Pain, or rounding caused by the % discount not being an integer. I definitely never saw it use 39 rage (35% discount). Has anyone else done testing to confirm the hotfix is as described in the patch notes?

I went to one of the Skyhold dummies. The non-tank ones. I used BC+FR and got to 40 rage. By all rights, it should've put me at 1 rage remaining. It put me at 7. On the other hand, Focused Rage was costing 20 rage, as it should be. this was consistent over a couple minutes of attempts.

Odd. So... Vengeance is giving us a 45% reduction in IP, but 35% in FR. Potential typo on their end?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulfe View Post
    Odd. So... Vengeance is giving us a 45% reduction in IP, but 35% in FR. Potential typo on their end?
    I'd moreso guess a typo in the actual coding to fix it.

You guys also notice that heavy repercussions is 30% now instead of 60%? When did they change that? Dont remember reading that anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilent View Post
    You guys also notice that heavy repercussions is 30% now instead of 60%? When did they change that? Dont remember reading that anywhere.
    I could be mistaken, but I believe it's always been 30%. The *total* damage increase during Shield Block is 60%, it has a base 30% increase without the talent.

I could be mistaken, but I believe it's always been 30%. The *total* damage increase during Shield Block is 60%, it has a base 30% increase without the talent.
    Ahhh yes you are right

So not only is the reduction on IP seemingly 45% (33 rage max) instead of 35% (39 rage max), but it's giving a larger absorb than if you were to spend 60 rage. For me, a 33 rage IP (with V: IP) gave me a 1.25 mil absorb, while a 60 rage IP gave me a 1.14 mil absorb (these are effective absorb values). I tripled checked this and made sure I didn't have a trinket proc or anything.

Just to see how much rage I would need to spend to get a 1.25 mil absorb if I didn't have V: IP (calculating effective absorb here): 25.2 * 31337 (AP) * 1.0874 (Vers) * 1.06 (Dragon Skin) * 1.25 (Indom) * (X / 60) = 1.25 mil

X = ~66

In addition to that, the minimum rage cost isn't what it should be if IP was actually being reduced by 45%. It should be castable at 11 rage: 20 - (20 * .45) = 11, but the minimum rage cost is actually 13 rage.

From these two things, we can see what's actually going on. Without Vengeance: Ignore Pain, Ignore Pain costs the normal amount and gives you the correct absorb amount.

With Vengeance: Ignore Pain, the game thinks IP's original cost is 26 to 66 rage, and then applies a 50% reduction, which is what makes it seem like IP is being reduced by 45%. To put it in simpler terms, essentially all they did to IP was increase the base rage cost by 6 when you have Vengeance: Ignore Pain. It's still being reduced by 50% like it was before.

This means for Ignore Pain itself (ignoring the fact that we also have to spend rage on FR), we're still receiving the same amount of absorb per rage spent.

Let's compare this to IP if the rage cost was actually being reduced by 35% and to IP before the hotfix. (Using the same absorb values from above)

Before hotfix: 15 + 30 = 45 rage spent for a ~1.14 mil absorb. ~25333 absorb per rage spent.

Remember, since the 35% reduction is being applied properly to FR, this means I spend 20 rage on FR.

Currently: 20 + 33 = 53 rage spent for a ~1.25 mil absorb. ~23660 absorb per rage spent.
    35%: 20 + 39 = 59 rage spent for a ~1.14 mil absorb. ~19322 absorb per rage spent.

As you can see, we're actually getting more absorb than we should (assuming all of this isn't intended).

Finally, let's look at how big of a nerf to Vengeance this actually is (in terms of absorb).

Currently, we're looking at a ~6.6% reduction to Ignore Pain's absorb. If they fix V: IP to reduce IP's cost by 35%, it's a 23.73% reduction.

That's a pretty significant difference. Unfortunately, it's likely that Blizzard intended to nerf it more than the initial 6.6%.

I can confirm that IP values are different with and without Vengeance.

Rage Costs: 19 for FR and 33 for IP (tooltip shows 39 however)

IP Values for max rage with and without Vengeance:

With: 1701k

Without: 1546k

This is with NS talented, and my health wasn't capped, but the without test was done first, so if anything the expected gain is actually larger since I had a few % health regen.

Very concerned that this bug is going to over inflate Prot performance. Blizzard is probably paying close attention to warrior right now to see if the hotfix gave the intended nerf, so it'll suck if they think Protection is fine, and then remove this.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2016-09-29 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Very concerned that this bug is going to over inflate Prot performance. Blizzard is probably paying close attention to warrior right now to see if the hotfix gave the intended nerf, so it'll suck if they think Protection is fine, and then remove this.
    Or that they think we're still over the top and nerf us again. I'm pretty concerned about this too.

Or that they think we're still over the top and nerf us again. I'm pretty concerned about this too.
    Warriors rage bar maximum has been reduced to 5.

Dev Notes: F U Warriors

from the devs:

"We are discussing a potential hotfix to increase rage generation from Shield Slam and reduce Ignore Pain's maximum absorption, so hopefully that will help with any 'clunky' feeling you guys have been noting."

What do you guys think they are gonna cap it at? 1 million? fml

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    from the devs:

"We are discussing a potential hotfix to increase rage generation from Shield Slam and reduce Ignore Pain's maximum absorption, so hopefully that will help with any 'clunky' feeling you guys have been noting."

What do you guys think they are gonna cap it at? 1 million? fml
    Actually I wouldn't care if it were capped at something as low as that so long as we had enough rage and max to cast two ignore pains.

Right now having to sit in your hands until you have enough rage for even one ignore pain s dreadfully boring.

Now if they would just give us a more engaging form of dps other than focused rage dumps.