How to go about Shadow relic upgrades

Hey guys, I was wondering if you can help me out with relics and upgrading the weapon. How should I go about determining when to upgrade my relic? My weapon is currently 877 and I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading relics that give 2-3 extra ilvls for a relic trait that isn't the best. Should I worry about that? Or try and take the highest ilvl relic for now?

It's kinda like regular gear and secondary stats. If the two items are close to each other's ilvl, you take the one that has better secondary stats. Same for relics.

If they're within 5 ilvl of each other, you take the one that has the better trait, but if it's a +10 or +15 ilvl upgrade, I think it's worth it, depending on the trait.

Basically what anon said.

The way I choose to approximate it:

If I get the option to swap out +5% VT dmg for +10% shadowmend healing, then the stat difference on my weapon must compensate for about 1,5% loss in damage (assuming VT accounts for about 30% of dps). For me that would be around 500 intellect or so.

The difference becomes smaller when you compare relics that are closer in value.

This is by no means excact, but if I make a mistake, it won't be noticable/measurable. You could also just sim with both relics, but that doesn't always give you the right answer either.