Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

How do you feel about pages which requires inclusive phrasing?

Like, if you ask what women like about men the moderators either delete your post or tell you to use inclusive language because there's women who like women frequenting the page as well.

How do you feel about this?

As an example from reddit:

While you may be asking a question with a specific scenario/reason in mind, we ask that you be considerate of our respondents by using broad/inclusive phrasing.

Many types of interactions or preferences in interpersonal relationships are not unique to any demographic, and unintentionally discouraging that part of our user base from responding reduces the pool of legitimate answers you are likely to get.

Language that unintentionally but unnecessarily eliminates minority demographics from answering may be subject to an Automoderator reminder sticky encouraging all our users to answer the question as it applies to them.

To be clear, instances where a majority subset is implied by virtue of the subject/scenario will receive a reminder. For Example: "Women, do you prefer that your boyfriend has brown hair?"
    Explicit calls for majority respondents will be removed. For Example: "White women, do you prefer that your boyfriend has brown hair?"

Conventional Term Preferred Term
    Boyfriend Significant Other, Partner
    Husband Spouse
    Fuckboi Hook-up; lover; sex partner
    Men Men/Women; preferred gender
    Unnecessarily exclusionary Inclusive alternative
    What does your boyfriend do to make you feel special? What does your significant other do to make you feel special?
    What can a guy do on a date to impress you? What can a person do on a date to impress you?
    What hairstyles do you like on men? What hairstyles do you find attractive?

Unnecessarily exclusionary Inclusive alternative
    What does your boyfriend do to make you feel special? What does your significant other do to make you feel special?
    What can a guy do on a date to impress you? What can a person do on a date to impress you?
    What hairstyles do you like on men? What hairstyles do you find attractive?

Questions that explicitly request responses from a major majority demographic will be removed (eg “straight women” “White women”)

Majority demographics include but may not be limited to:
    Caucasian/white people
    Heterosexual people
    Cissexual People
    Americans (while not the majority in the world, they are by far on Reddit)
    20-30 year olds

Respondents:

In the event that the title's wording excludes you as a minority, you are encouraged to answer as if it applied to you directly.

Please be assured that there are absolutely people here who would love to hear your perspective, and often the visibility of your answers can encourage others to contribute too!

If you encounter any replies to your comment stating/implying that your response is unwelcome or non-applicable please report them so a moderator can review.

Responses that do not form an answer to the question and instead solely criticise the language of the submission are subject to removal for derailing at the moderator’s discretion.

There's value in the specific discussion of the experiences and opinions of minority demographics. In instances where you're a majority demographic and there's a question aimed at a minority, we ask that you avoid talking over the demographic in question. Top-level answers should be relevant to the specified demographic (& topic).
    Last edited by Nitro Fun; 2016-09-29 at 11:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what are you talking about?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    what are you talking about?
    Pages which requires you to use inclusive phrasing/language, it's outlined in the quote what it means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Pages which requires you to use inclusive phrasing/language, it's outlined in the quote what it means.
    But you are just saying random stuff and I cannot look into it further other then by taking your word for it.

Like, if you ask what women like about men the moderators either delete your post or tell you to use inclusive language because there's women who like women frequenting the page as well.
    I will leave, I'm not interested in censorship and reeducation programs set up just for appearances' sake.
    The same goes for pages that insist adressing everyone like they are a close friend without having any business doing so.

I certainly do not appreciate their effords to try and suck up to me by pretending to be one of my peers.
    It is disrespectful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    But you are just saying random stuff and I cannot look into it further other then by taking your word for it.
    So you wanted a source and no comment from the OP?
    The way you make your openening posts?

Some people can think of their own topics to discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I will leave, I'm not interested in censorship and reeducation programs set up just for appearances' sake.
    The same goes for pages that insist adressing everyone like they are a close friend without having any business doing so.

I certainly do not appreciate their effords to try and suck up to me by pretending to be one of my peers.
    It is disrespectful.

- - - Updated - - -

So you wanted a source and no comment from the OP?
    The way you make your openening posts?

Some people can think of their own topics to discuss.
    Whats there to discuss if I cannot personally look into it further? Am I only to take OPs claim at face value?

Apparently those are the rules of the AskWomen subreddit. This oppressive, censorious attitude which has been growing in recent years is disturbing. I hope these people never make it to a position where they can pass laws.

Is there a forum like this somewhere?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel anything about this, because I don't visit sites like reddit.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I went through the lengthy process of finding the source for those without the time, the will, or the ability to find it.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/wi...3-0e4230ebc8e3

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen it, but it seems retarded not to let people target questions at any demographic they like.

If I wanted to know what bust size men found attractive, I don't want gay men or any women answering.
    If I want to figure out what the best tampon is, I don't want men or trans women answering.
    If I wanted to find out how to best wash afro-textured hair, I don't want a bunch of white people telling me how they wash theirs.

Why is any of that a problem?
    Last edited by Revi; 2016-09-29 at 12:22 PM.

It is likely the requirement for such is very limited. But even so, inclusive language is simply the direction culture is headed. No different from language such as, "jap" or "wasp" are not really seen as acceptable anymore- where they used to be common.

Times change bro.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

How do you feel about this?
    Don't really care one way or the other. It's their page, and they can set up reasonable rules all they like. There are a few sites I frequent that have really silly rules...including this site.

I think it blurs and muddies the conversation by making it so indiscriminate and almost euphemistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    inclusive language is simply the direction culture is headed.
    Predicting the future of culture.
    How cute :].

It is likely the requirement for such is very limited. But even so, inclusive language is simply the direction culture is headed. No different from language such as, "jap" or "wasp" are not really seen as acceptable anymore- where they used to be common.

Times change bro.
    That's not even close to what this is. It's not about avoiding using hateful language it's about being so vague as to be ignorant of people's differences. That you think this is the way of the future just shows us your moralizing indignation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's not even close to what this is. It's not about avoiding using hateful language.
    "Wasp" isn't hateful, it's descriptive. Very specific too.

It is the same, however. language and culture is at a current state whereby increasing numbers of people do not necessarily feel certain phrasing and word usage is acceptable. If it was not as I have said, we would be having a different discussion.

Flatly, times change. That is all there is to it.

Dont browse reddit. Profit.

"Wasp" isn't hateful, it's descriptive. Very specific too.

It is the same, however. language and culture is at a current state whereby increasing numbers of people do not necessarily feel certain phrasing and word usage is acceptable. If it was not as I have said, we would be having a dufferent discussion.

Flatly, times change.
    WASP is actually used in a condescending tone by the same types of people into "inclusive phrasing". It's also simply wrong because there aren't any and haven't been for hundreds of years. If it's descriptive so is "jap".

So your point is that "numbers are increasing" and that's it? Seems kind of shallow for an analysis. People aren't going to catch on to this because they don't want to be treated like borg. It's also terribly unpragmatic use of language - meaning being vague and ambiguous just won't work as well as being descriptive and discriminate.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the message here kinda makes sense, it is also hypocritical... They are okay with calling their community AskWomen, but they aren't okay with "ask whites". Why not call the community AskLivingBeing then, to be consistent?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.