Page 1 of 3
LastLast

League of Legends World Championships: 2016 Megathread

It's here! Worlds is finally here! Here are the groups:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Since it starts today, here is the schedule for the first day (times are in PST):

You can find the full schedule Here

So have at it! What are your predictions? Who will make it out of groups? Any match ups you are particularly excited to watch?

Deleted
    Inc tsm gets alot of hype as each year and they dont get out of groups.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't been posting here since last year's worlds.

I'm baaaaaaaaack
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

So hyped for worlds to get underway! As a TSM fan I'd obviously love to see them get far, and I think they will atleast get out of groups, even get 1st in groups depending on who Splyce upsets.

I think the groupstage this year will be very interesting, with only EDG being 'guaranteed' 1st place in their group. Also expecting ROX and SKT take 1st and I feel fairly confident TSM will as well, but as we've seen every worlds, upsets can happen in groupstages.

Group A: I dont expect a lot from CLG, since they, except for Xsmithie have not been playing at their previous level so I think G2 will follow ROX out of the group.
    Group B: Impact is on f****** fire these days and I hope C9 will follow SKT, but I havent watched very much LMS this year so Flash Wolves might surprise me, but I doubt it.
    Group C: EDG 1st, easy as that. I really have no idea which of H2k and ahq is going to take 2nd, but I'll have faith in pr0lly and FORG1VEN and say H2k goes through.
    Group D: Both my heart and brain says TSM will finish 1st. I think RNG will be exposed mid to late against both TSM and Samsung, so I'll say Samsung gets out as 2nd.

Going to be superfun to see how the meta plays out and hopefully see some sick upsets

15+ Year Old Account
    Day 1 was awesome.

Lots of EU losing, EDG was upset...all is right in the world.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

So upset EDG somehow lost to a random Brazil team.......

I think EDG only matchup favorite is against Royals , against other international teams they somehow can't excute well.

They said in first game made some mistakes, oh well I hope they can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    So upset EDG somehow lost to a random Brazil team.......

I think EDG only matchup favorite is against Royals , against other international teams they somehow can't excute well.

They said in first game made some mistakes, oh well I hope they can do better.
    The INTZ game wasn't really them making mistakes like the ROX/Albus game with the clown fiesta early game. INTZ legitimately play really fucking well in that game. Revolta was a beast on Lee Sin stomped on EDG with his agression. Too bad he just farmed on Rek'Sai in their game against H2K and had no impact at all in their loss.

Whaaaaat is going on this Worlds?!
    Rox give Huhi his A Sol and find out why that's a bad idea.
    Albux Nox tearing it up.
    EU shitting the bed.
    FW beating SKT to remain undefeated 5-0 against Korean teams.
    Teams getting smashed then smashing someone else next game.
    Ties.... so many ties.

It's exciting, that's for sure.

ROX and SKT just played so badly in their losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Whaaaaat is going on this Worlds?!
    Rox give Huhi his A Sol and find out why that's a bad idea.
    Albux Nox tearing it up.
    EU shitting the bed.
    FW beating SKT to remain undefeated 5-0 against Korean teams.
    Teams getting smashed then smashing someone else next game.
    Ties.... so many ties.

It's exciting, that's for sure.
    Right? Hell of a tournament! Hopefully NA doesn't pull another 0-10 though.

- - - Updated - - -

So my thoughts after week 1

Group A

Albus Nox-Holy crap did these guys come out of nowhere! They made ROX sweat a bit with a clown fiesta, gave CLG their annual wild card loss, and dug G2 further into their grave. Their macro is actually pretty good and their draft phase is super interesting (Brand support though!). I really want to see if they can keep it up in week 2, because if they can, they might just be the first wild card team to make it out of groups EVER.

CLG-I'm not sure how good CLG looked this week. They were the first to beat down G2, then they lost to the wildcard team with Aphromoo who is arguably one of the best Bard's in the world, uncharacteristically missing all his abilities. Then they ended the week by crushing Rox in what will probably be the last time Huhi gets to play that champion. The question remains whether or not they can pull through without A. Sol though, as Huhi has used it as a crutch in both of their wins, and he isn't likely to get to play it again. Not to discount some of the other members though. Stixxay in particular has been a rock with his consistently solid gameplay in his rookie year.

ROX-Oh boy, the team everyone thought was the clear favorite (and probably still are) to win the entire tournament, much less get out of the group. They fell into the early game clown fiesta trap against Ablus, and you know what they say, "never let someone drag you down to their level, they'll just beat you with experience." Luckily though they ended up pulling through and looked solid until their loss to CLG. They disrespected the A. Sol and they paid for it. I don't expect them to make the same mistakes again though, and I still put them as getting out of the group in 1st.

G2-SOMEONE PLEASE TELL PERKZ TO BUY A GODAMN QSS FOR ONCE. Seriously, things are looking grim for the #1 EU seed. If they lose another game, they no longer can make it out of the group. And guess who they play first next week? Rox Tigers. Ya...sorru EU, but it just isn't your year.

Group B:

SKT-Cleat favorites of the group when they play with Bengi (which for some reason they only did against C9, they used Blank for the rest of their matches). I could see them getting upset again if they stay with Blank, which just maybe will cost them the 1st place in the group. Other than that though, they look just as strong as ever. Bang is great, Duke is solid, Wolf is fantastic, and Faker is a god when paired with his fellow 2-time world champ, Bengi. It all boils down to whether or not Bengi plays this week. They are probably gonna get out as #1 regardless, but Bengi would ensure that, while Blank could lead to an upset.

Cloud 9-Not much to say. They rely Impact to carry them, and when he can't (like against SKT), they crumble. Meteos needs to stop trying to play Lee Sin, seriously, he looks AWFUL on the champion. If Meteos can play a jungler where he has an impact on the early to mid game, can help Jensen, and not miss 90% of his skill shots, C9 will make it out of the group just fine.

Flash Wolves-While they have a strong early game, they cannot close out a game to save their lives! I think we are all better off if we forget that 70 min clown fiesta against C9 where they failed to end with a 15k gold lead.

Imay-More like I may not get out of this group amirite? No one really expected anything out of them, and they have performed exactly how everyone expected (a rarity in this crazy tournament)

Group C:

EDG-Apart from that slip up against INTZ on the first day, they look to be #1 in the group. Although not quite as dominant as everyone thought they would be (many citing them as the #2 team in the whole tournament), they still should get out of this group no problem, given it is arguably the weakest group of Worlds. Oh ya, and Deft is a freaking god!

AHQ-As long as they stick with Westdoor for midlane, they should also get out of the group. Their play is solid and AN in particular is showing up huge.

H2K-Hey EU, at least you have 1 win at worlds...although it is against INTZ. Forgiven and Ryu are doing well but the rest of the team is simply too heavy and just gets outclassed amongst the competition. Not much to say for the 3rd place EU team that only qualified off of points.

INTZ-They beat EDG, so that is something I guess. Revolta is a god on Lee Sin though, and I hope he gets to continue to play it for our sake (as viewers). However, when he isn't on Lee Sin, the team struggles as he plays a more passive/farm style and they just lose in lane to better mechanical opponents.

Group D:

SSG-Definitely will have to fight to make it out of the group. Their early game is a bit lacking and they play rather slow, and it showed against TSM who completely outpaced them early and crushed them.

TSM-Definitely will have to fight to make it out of the group. Sven has really stepped up and let TSM play fast and lose with the early game. Hauntzer and Bjerg have been looking great as well. The one weakness shown so far is their botlane with DL and Bio going for some questionable trades and often dying in straight up 2v2s. I have faith that they will fix things though and I still think they can make it out of the group in first.

RNG-Definitely will have to fight to make it out of the group. Uzi and Mata, just not much else to say. Those 2 in particular are playing so well. People say Impact is playing like Skt Impact, then I say Mata is playing like SSW Mata as well.

Splyce-Similar to Imay, no one expected anything out of them, especially considering they were put in the group of death. They looked really sloppy against UOL in the regional qualifier, and doesn't seem to have improved much since then. Their one bright spot is Sencux, but still, they aren't making it out of this group.
    Last edited by 4KhazModan; 2016-10-03 at 09:39 PM.

Albus Nox is an awesome team to watch. That Brand support was ridiculous.

Pretty sad EU is now 1-8 in Worlds

EU is shockingly bad as a region at times, mostly because the most talented players seem lazy and complacent. Also the fact that all the talent goes to NA doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Maaanwell View Post
    Doesn't NA only have two EU talents in Svens an Bjerg?...
    Froggen, Freeze, Jensen, Dexter when he was at CLG, Santorin. Diamondprox and Alex Ich both play NA now, even if past their primes. Huni and Reignover made their names in EU (even if Korean.)

I mean NA has more imports than homegrown by miles, Pobelter was the only midlaner actually from NA.
    Last edited by Xanjori; 2016-10-04 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    EU is shockingly bad as a region at times, mostly because the most talented players seem lazy and complacent. Also the fact that all the talent goes to NA doesn't help.
    I remember when I first started watching pro league of legends that really bothered me, like it defeated the purpose of having regions by nations. To me it was like the US olympic teams having Chinese born players on it just because they were better. Now Ive gotten used to it so its whatever, seems like everybody has Korean players these days. The asians for whatever reason are just better. Even in this years best players at worlds rankings only one person in the top 10 wasnt Chinese or Korean born (bjergsen at 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I remember when I first started watching pro league of legends that really bothered me, like it defeated the purpose of having regions by nations. To me it was like the US olympic teams having Chinese born players on it just because they were better. Now Ive gotten used to it so its whatever, seems like everybody has Korean players these days. The asians for whatever reason are just better. Even in this years best players at worlds rankings only one person in the top 10 wasnt Chinese or Korean born (bjergsen at 8)
    I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo isn't Spanish but still plays for Real Madrid and neither is Lionel Messi but he also plays for a spanish org in Champions League. That's how I see it at least. Worlds isn't similar to the world cup imo, players stay with their team, not their native country.

The first round robin was fun and all but this week if where the truth comes out.

Will a season of hardcore practice pay off for TSM? Is EU truly garbage? Has the gap really closed with the Koreans?

If NA can't get out of groups, I will stop watching worlds.

NA have really good chances of getting out of groups, I mean EU is pretty garbage, the only world class players seem to be Zven/Mithy as a combo and Forgiven from EU. I wish EU had some proper coaching or something, like EU pick/bans are shit (well, G2s p/bs and Perkz build path are utter garbage.)

I'd like to see TSM challenge Korea though this Worlds.

I'm shaking from the ANX - ROX game. Holy shit that was exciting. I'm so impressed with the wildcards this year!

Rox got outplayed super hard, mechanically as well as macro. The wildcard teams are definitely better, but the top teams arent as good as previous years top teams imo.