Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Montreal approves new laws on the handling and ownership of pitbull-like dogs

First, a few links for those who are interested. I'm not gonna copy-pasta whole articles here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ylaw-1.3780335
    https://www.thedodo.com/pit-bull-ban...019462088.html
    http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/inde...an_passed.html
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ylaw-1.3724559

Some of the highlights of the new laws:
    1. The laws apply to all Pitbulls, including mixes and dogs that aren't exactly pitbulls but appear to be similar. (I can't find a formal definition of what the law considers "similar".)
    2. All pitbulls that live in shelters or are caught without ownership are to be euthanized
    3. Pitbulls will be required to be simultaneously muzzled and kept on a leash not to exceed 1.25m (4.1 feet) in length when they are not inside, and must never be left unattended by an individual under 18 years old
    4. Individuals with criminal records will not be permitted to own pitbulls
    5. All pitbulls must be spayed/neutered unless owned by a certified breeder
    6. Pitbull owners must present proof that they legally owned their dogs before the new laws came into effect or must forfeit their dog(s)

The tl;dr is that Montreal is basically trying to remove these dogs from existence and will be killing as many of them as possible.

What are your thoughts?

I personally don't know how I feel about it. I've known people who own pitbulls and these dogs can be very sweet. On the other hand, I know that here in the U.S., pitbulls and rottweilers alone are responsible for something like 90% of canine maulings in the past few years (with pitbulls contributing the most to canine-related deaths by far). They can be good dogs, but often they are not. Experts say that it's an issue with how they are trained and managed by their owners, and I don't doubt that. Also, apparently experts on pitbulls say that these new laws are absolutely horrible crimes against nature, but that didn't stop them from going into effect in Montreal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disgusting.

Dog attacks are always caused by one of two things:

1 - Ignorant people who think dogs are smiling and that thrusting their hand at a dog's face is a good idea
    2 - Ignorant assholes who abuse their dogs and think disciplining a dog is all about hitting and yelling at them

Speaking on this - neither of my dogs have ever attacked anyone. However, one of my Shiba Inus gets agitated out in public. I've had to tell people to leave him alone because despite his drooped tail and obvious (to me) signs of agitation they insist on trying to touch the top of his had.

They should make rules who gets to buy pitbulls or dogs in general, seeing as 99% of all thugs get them and they cant raise them for shit, bad owners = bad dogs. Been around that race alot and each and every one is amazing and not a single one have ever attacked anyone, then again those are not shitty owners.

Incrediblly racist law.

Has nothing to do with the "breed" everything to do with the owner.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

7+ Year Old Account
    Canda regressing.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Canda regressing.
    to be accurate, Quebec. Quebec has been a regressive shithole for centuries
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a bad law, i don't mind the idea of having permits for some type of dogs but this is going to far... To put a bit of context this follow the death of a women who was killed by her neighbor dog (who we don't know for sure if it was a pitbull or a rottweiler) and is clearly overreaction...

There is clearly a problem with as some dog race attract retarded owner who raise them for defence/to look badass... but targeting specific dog race is not the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Classy as fuck, bashing a province of 8M plp based on absolutly nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    Classy as fuck, bashing a province of 8M plp based on absolutly nothing...
    Based on nothing? How about, this whole fuckin' thing?

7+ Year Old Account
    Based on nothing? How about, this whole fuckin' thing?
    So every place that ever made a bad law as to be a ''regressive shithole for centuries''.... yeah what a great argument...

it's a bad law, saying Montreal/Quebec is regressive based on that is just stupid.....

So every place that ever made a bad law as to be a ''regressive shithole for centuries''.... yeah what a great argument...

it's a bad law, saying Montreal/Quebec is regressive based on that is just stupid.....
    I didn't say "everyone living in Quebec is a regressive idiot" or anything along those lines.

But the reality is that Quebec, has collected some absolutely ridiculous fuckin' laws ever since its inception. Ass backwards language laws, the kowtowing to the Church, widespread and sponsored antisemitism in the 1930s, and the seemingly never ending separatist movement. It's not just "one thing."

No reason to take it so personal either. You're clearly in agreement that it's a stupid ass law.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    As a canadian from Toronto. This is not news to me, we also applied this law. Also as a person from Ontario and lived in white trash areas...this is a good thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say "everyone living in Quebec is a regressive idiot" or anything along those lines.

But the reality is that Quebec, has collected some absolutely ridiculous fuckin' laws ever since its inception. Ass backwards language laws, the kowtowing to the Church, widespread and sponsored antisemitism in the 1930s, and the seemingly never ending separatist movement. It's not just "one thing."

No reason to take it so personal either. You're clearly in agreement that it's a stupid ass law.
    I'm not a fan of the language laws and we are slowly moving away from them but it's understandable that Some plp fear for their language as 6M french speaker vs 340M english speaker. Quebec as moved away from church in the 60s probably faster than anyother place in the world with less than 10% of catholique still practicing. Antisemitism was world wide shit in the 30s. Also, the separatist movement is prty much dead as it as less than 30% of support nowadays... you should probably update your fact. don't get me wrong a lot of shit is wrong in Quebec but you really sound like one of those frustreded Canadian that think they are so much better than quebec while knowing nothing about it and still bringing fucking old crap to bash on it...

Applying the '' they made some stupide law in the past so they it's a regressive shithole'' is a bit retarded. I'm not from Quebec originaly so i don't really take it to personal (came form switzerland 15 year ago). Sorry I think it's prty stupide to came here and say ''quebec is a regressive shithole'' and defend what has been a great place for me to settle from some free bashing based on nothing....

I'm really on the fence regarding breed ban laws.

One one hand, I view people who think that dog behavior is 100% related to training as being incredibly naive. Genetics are relevant; we have deliberately bred dogs for their protective instincts and that is reflected in breed/animal behavior. I have met some very sweet pitbulls/pit mixes. On the other hand, I have friends who have had their pit bull since they were puppies and have a hard time dealing with their aggression. This includes a friend who is a veterinarian, whose dog had extensive behavior training classes.

It is truly scary when you have a neighbor whose dogs are aggressive. One neighbor of mine has two, with a fully enclosed dog-proofed fencing, who is extremely apologetic about her dogs' behavior. She is a responsible dog owner, but the dogs have clear aggressive tendencies/behavioral issues. But that doesn't escape my worry about what might happen if her dogs became loose one day. By her own admission, my neighbor worries what would happen if her dogs got out, apparently they have attacked an animal previously.

On the other hand, poor behavior in dogs really is often related to poor training and that is unacceptable. But in certain breeds like pits, dobermans, etc, I think that is only part of the picture, if the dog is exhibiting aggressive behavior.

Breed ban laws just leads to those breeding/training for dogfighting/aggression/"protection" to choose other breeds for that purpose. So the blame keeps shifting from breed to breed (german shepherds, rotts, dobermans, etc).

"pitbull mix or appear to be pitbulls", so basically... every mutt? cause very few people can accurately ID a pitbull... Heck a lab mix looks "kinda sorta" like a pitbull to most people.

I like it, especially the part criminals can't own them, they can be trained to be weapons.

Applying the '' they made some stupide law in the past so they it's a regressive shithole'' is a bit retarded. I'm not from Quebec originaly so i don't really take it to personal (came form switzerland 15 year ago). Sorry I think it's prty stupide to came here and say ''quebec is a regressive shithole'' and defend what has been a great place for me to settle from some free bashing based on nothing....
    I guess naming off a few of the problems that lead me to that conclusion still constitutes as "based on nothing." I get it, you moved there, you like it. Reality is though, you could have moved anywhere in the country and it would be just as good, if not better. You want to disagree, that's your prerogative.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I like it, especially the part criminals can't own them, they can be trained to be weapons.
    Reading through it, I like it too. Should be applicable to all dogs with a history of aggressive behavior towards people/other animals, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    "pitbull mix or appear to be pitbulls", so basically... every mutt? cause very few people can accurately ID a pitbull... Heck a lab mix looks "kinda sorta" like a pitbull to most people.
    I think it's a huge stretch to claim that all dog mixes look like they have pit in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that there's no real definition for "similar" breeds means this law strikes me as a gross overreach. It's not just the government trying to clamp down on what some screaming mothers are upset over, but they've made it broad enough where they can basically declare your dog to be "pit-bull-like" and thus under their jurisdiction.

Also muzzling an animal while outdoors at all times is IMO, basically animal cruelty.

I like the part about banning people with criminal records owning them, but it'd be nice if they just said "any dogs". Let them buy a cat if they need comfort, or a gerbil or something.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Reading through it, I like it too. Should be applicable to all dogs with a history of aggressive behavior towards people/other animals, however.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's a huge stretch to claim that all dog mixes look like they have pit in them.
    they dont, most people just have no idea what a pit looks like so they say any dog with a heavy head/jaw is a "pitbull/mix."

Yo yo yo yo... You're just jealous of our poutine.