Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Say what you want, but countless times dogs have been falsely identified as "pitbulls"...
    I think it's less common than is claimed by pit bull advocates, although it probably does account for *some* disparity in statistics. HOWEVER, genetic testing is much more commonplace now in bite/fatality cases.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/dpd-t...tack/184686469
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...-ndg-1.3710598 <- never would have labelled this dog as a pit bull, doesn't look remotely like one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I agree, especially with the latter part. It's hard to tell what actually happens in a household in regards to dog-rearing, owners can have good intentions but can inadvertently end up reinforcing the behavior they're trying to extinguish. She is proactive in regards to fencing (she recently double-fenced the gate going into her backyard) but that isn't a substitute for proper training (not to say she isn't training but she has clearly stated that both dogs have behavioral issues). She did state that things became "much worse" when they got a second dog which should have been a sign that one should be rehomed, she did sound like she thought about it but couldn't bear to give one up. Admittedly I can understand how difficult a decision like that may be, pit bulls are overrepresented in shelters out here and returning a dog to a shelter/rehoming can increase their likelihood of trauma to the animal/risk of euthanasia.
    The thing is, she isn't being fair to both dogs by keeping them both when it's reinforcing behavioral issues. The hardest thing I ever had to do was put my German Shepherd, Ajax, down after he suffered severe central nervous system damage from being poisoned by a neighbor. I could have kept him alive because I couldn't "bear" to let him go, but would that have been fair to him?

It's the same thing here. It's my belief that, when it comes to the welfare of an innocent animal in my care, that my feelings ultimately come secondary to what is best for the animal and what is best for the people around me.

Real love is being willing to make the hard choices in the best interests of the animals involved. It's no different than having a child - your feelings and wants and desires ultimately have to come separately, because if you really, truly love your animals, you'll do what's best for them even if it breaks your heart into a million little pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes, because labs and boxers get mistaken for pit bulls all of the time I'm tired of hearing nonsense, also genetic testing is available at most shelters and veterinary clinics.
    In fairness, I've seen this happen a number of times. A lot of people honestly don't have any idea what a Pit Bull or Bully-type dog looks like. I've seen cases where Boxers were mistaken for Pit Bulls, and cities refused to back down even when provided with papers and genetic testing. It's asinine.

Additionally, in a lot of bite attacks that I've seen, they just call the dog "a pit bull," but when I see video or pictures of the animal, it doesn't look anything like a Bully dog to me. Most of them look like they are Retriever/Lab mixes with something else, but they don't have the physical characteristics of a Pit Bull. but it's convenient to claim they are because news isn't about facts, it's about ratings and clicks.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The same people who would call for a ban of a consumer good such as a vehicle or a weapon are the people defending a dog breed in a "people kill people" way. If you replaced 100% of pit bulls with another dog breed you would save dozens of lives each year, as pit bulls are responsible for something like 90% of dog-killing-human deaths.

That being said, it is not the general temperament of these dogs which is generally positive that kills and maims people, but the base instinct they jump into at a moment's notice that causes these incidents. On a similar note, we ban many different species of animals from ownership because of the danger they present, the idea of banning or specifically regulating one dog breed is not that extreme.

Still, having such strict rules for one breed for the actions of a few does not necessarily feel like appropriate action, even if there is a strong case for it. You want the pro way to do it, make a slush fund for payment to the victims and the families of victims of these dogs, and pay for it by collectively increasing the licensing fees of each individual dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    The same people who would call for a ban of a consumer good such as a vehicle or a weapon are the people defending a dog breed in a "people kill people" way. If you replaced 100% of pit bulls with another dog breed you would save dozens of lives each year, as pit bulls are responsible for something like 90% of dog-killing-human deaths.

That being said, it is not the general temperament of these dogs which is generally positive that kills and maims people, but the base instinct they jump into at a moment's notice that causes these incidents. On a similar note, we ban many different species of animals from ownership because of the danger they present, the idea of banning or specifically regulating one dog breed is not that extreme.

Still, having such strict rules for one breed for the actions of a few does not necessarily feel like appropriate action, even if there is a strong case for it. You want the pro way to do it, make a slush fund for payment to the victims and the families of victims of these dogs, and pay for it by collectively increasing the licensing fees of each individual dog.
    I don't have a problem with stricter permit requirements. But the way this law appears to be written leaves it open for a lot of abuse (since it apparently targets dogs "thought" to be Pit Bull based on...appearance?), and I really don't think it's good to euthanize perfectly good dogs because people are scared of their breed. It would be better if they simply transferred them to places where it's legal to own one. But killing them on sight if found without their owner? That's extreme.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    In 2015 there were 32 documented deaths as a result of dog attacks. 28 of those (82%) were caused by Pit Bulls, even though Pit Bulls make up only roughly 7% of the dog population in the U.S.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2015.php

Anybody who says it has nothing to do with breed and everything to do with the owners is kidding themselves. People need to stop thinking with their emotions and start thinking with their brains. Critical thinking is a virtue.
    Dogbite.org is a terrible site to use for a source. Nothing but pure bullshit on that site.
    https://ethicsalarms.com/2015/10/20/...-dogsbite-org/
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Disgusting.

Dog attacks are always caused by one of two things:

1 - Ignorant people who think dogs are smiling and that thrusting their hand at a dog's face is a good idea
    2 - Ignorant assholes who abuse their dogs and think disciplining a dog is all about hitting and yelling at them

Speaking on this - neither of my dogs have ever attacked anyone. However, one of my Shiba Inus gets agitated out in public. I've had to tell people to leave him alone because despite his drooped tail and obvious (to me) signs of agitation they insist on trying to touch the top of his had.
    100% agreed with this! There's no such thing as a bad breed of dogs, Ive (or rather my family) had a Rottweiler before. They are also known as mean and dangerous but he was the sweetest doggy ever. Maybe only a little too nervous as he got scared by loud noises and fireworks.

Deleted
    i dont believe some breeds are more violent than others, and that its down to how they are handled and treated, but if its anything like in the UK, certain breeds only seem to be owned by the most thuggish looking shitheads that train their dogs to be violent, which leads to those breeds being branded dangerous and banned.
    IMO they shouldn't be banned, but the consequences for owning a violent and untrained dog should be a lot harsher, and maybe more rules for owning dogs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    avoiding reality doesn't suddenly spirit it away
    they are killers

no amount of evidence and charts and data would wake people like you up,
    but you go ahead and hold onto that delusion if it makes you happy
    I truly hope you never learn the hard way

from dogbite.org
    '2015 dog bite fatality statistics
    34 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2015. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 82% (28) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.6% of the total U.S. dog population.2
    Together, pit bulls (28) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 91% of the total recorded deaths in 2015. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 11-year period of 2005 to 2015.
    The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 11-year period. From 2005 to 2015, pit bulls killed 232 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 41, about one citizen every 98 days.
    In the year of 2015, the combination of pit bulls (28), their close cousins, American bulldogs (2), and rottweilers (3) contributed to 97% (33) of all dog bite-related fatalities. Both American bulldog fatalities occurred in Miami-Dade County, Florida.'

thats right, pitbulls are 6.6% of the dog population and commit 82% of all people killings.
    dont tell me it isn't genetic
    Funny, I don't recall saying it isn't genetic. You just made an assumption for your own sake. I know they are more likely to snap and attack than all other dogs. So I am not sure what you are getting at with your charts/data/evidence that I never disagreed with? Feels like you read one line then just commented but whatever, I have come to expect that from MMO champ posters @_@

What I support is allowing PROPER PEOPLE to own them. Make whatever hoops you want, whether that requires intensive training/inspection of possible owner and their home, area, etc or whatever but allow proper people to own them because they do exist. It might come as a surprise but there are pitbulls that have lived without biting anyone. I would be fine with having them all fixed, allow the current ones to live with proper owners, if no one wants to adopt it then unfortunately put it down humanely like places already do.

If you decide to comment at least read what I said, digest it, then respond?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I like it, especially the part criminals can't own them, they can be trained to be weapons.
    All dogs can be weaponized though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    Dogbite.org is a terrible site to use for a source. Nothing but pure bullshit on that site.
    https://ethicsalarms.com/2015/10/20/...-dogsbite-org/
    First paragraph compares a dog bite statistics website to the Nazi regime. Noped the fuck right out of there when I read that.

Just going to reiterate. Bites by fixed pit bulls are very rare

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bombayshow View Post
    There is a lot more to focus yes, but dogs breed and dog farms is a usual thing in quebec.
    Canada register everything like USA does.

We dont care if a dog is good or not, or if a owner is a good one or not . Canada needs serious laws for dog breeding and fast.
    Just take a look at dogbite website and feel ashamed like I did.
    Late response but I must admit I forgot about the dog farm problem we have. That's very true and should be exposed to far harsher legislation. the province of QC is especially bad with those. Every year a large amount appear on the news and show the deplorable - if not cruel - state in which the animals live.

A judge has currently suspended the law for the time being because of an SPCA challenge.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of the arguments that not all dogs are bad, I am really wondering what is the thought process of someone who wants to acquire a new dog, and decide out of 400+ breeds to get a pitbull.

Even if you are an experienced owner that will invest in proper training, why choose a pitbull?

You want to look ghetto and scare the shit out of your drug dealer or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    Regardless of the arguments that not all dogs are bad, I am really wondering what is the thought process of someone who wants to acquire a new dog, and decide out of 400+ breeds to get a pitbull.

Even if you are an experienced owner that will invest in proper training, why choose a pitbull?

You want to look ghetto and scare the shit out of your drug dealer or something?
    Maybe you go to the shelter and like one if the pitbulls best since like 75% of all the dogs there are likely "pitbulls"
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.