Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Have you ever lost a childhood friend?

It's been almost 28 years now and I still miss the goofy bastard. Why did he think mountain climbing was a good idea?

Lost a buddy who picked a fight with a tree while snowboarding.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Lost a buddy who picked a fight with a tree while snowboarding.

its terrible man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    its terrible man.
    It sucked, but tbh it was his own fault for not wearing a fuckin helmet. So it's sad, but not too sad.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Yes. A couple, actually but we'll talk about the one that hurts the least.

When I was younger, around 6-7, there was a neighborhood kid I played with that we'll call 'Timmy'. He wore the thickest glasses I've ever seen and was around my age but kinda small and wasn't allowed to go out often, but when he did he came to my house and I pushed him around on a big wheel because he didn't have the strength in his legs to actually move it himself and his legs were a little too short to be honest. I'm sure we played other stuff and went sledding and stuff, but the big wheel thing is what I remember most. I was kinda young as well.

Turns out Timmy had a brain tumor and when I knew him had about 6-9 months to live. The reason he didn't come out often was because he was sick or in the hospital all the time and he couldn't push himself on the big wheel because he was frequently weakened or winded by the activity.

Years later, when I was 17 or 18, I was talking about child hood friends and I mentioned the kid to my mom and I asked her about his glasses and how come one day right before we moved he just stopped coming out to play. He had died and my mom didn't know how to tell me so she never mentioned it. She said that he was so very, very sick that his own mother was just grateful that my mom would let him play with me because the other parents kind of shunned them because he was dying. (This was the 80s and it was in ruralish Kentucky, these people thought their kids would get a tumor by playing with a kid with a tumor).

So she didn't want me to treat him differently because he was dying and she always said she was so proud of the way I would just push this kid around on a big wheel for hours on end for no seeming reason other than that he asked me to nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahkesis View Post
    Yes. A couple, actually but we'll talk about the one that hurts the least.

When I was younger, around 6-7, there was a neighborhood kid I played with that we'll call 'Timmy'. He wore the thickest glasses I've ever seen and was around my age but kinda small and wasn't allowed to go out often, but when he did he came to my house and I pushed him around on a big wheel because he didn't have the strength in his legs to actually move it himself and his legs were a little too short to be honest. I'm sure we played other stuff and went sledding and stuff, but the big wheel thing is what I remember most. I was kinda young as well.

Turns out Timmy had a brain tumor and when I knew him had about 6-9 months to live. The reason he didn't come out often was because he was sick or in the hospital all the time and he couldn't push himself on the big wheel because he was frequently weakened or winded by the activity.

Years later, when I was 17 or 18, I was talking about child hood friends and I mentioned the kid to my mom and I asked her about his glasses and how come one day right before we moved he just stopped coming out to play. He had died and my mom didn't know how to tell me so she never mentioned it. She said that he was so very, very sick that his own mother was just grateful that my mom would let him play with me because the other parents kind of shunned them because he was dying. (This was the 80s and it was in ruralish Kentucky, these people thought their kids would get a tumor by playing with a kid with a tumor).

So she didn't want me to treat him differently because he was dying and she always said she was so proud of the way I would just push this kid around on a big wheel for hours on end for no seeming reason other than that he asked me to nicely.

I like you.

Lost a female friend. Not a girl friend. She was my next door neighbor. We grew up together. We were quite good friends from kindergarten all throughout high school. She was abducted on her way home during a summer job she was home from college. They never found her body. The person they thought did it his parents had just had a driveway poured the day after she was abducted.

Deleted
    AFAIK, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    A girl I knew from pre-school days, who was my girlfriend in junior school (pre-teen love is serious business), died in a car accident when she was 17.

My last memory is of her singing along to Enjoy the Silence, my head recalls she didn't have the greatest singing voice, my heart remembers differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A girl I knew from pre-school days, who was my girlfriend in junior school (pre-teen love is serious business), died in a car accident when she was 17.

My last memory is of her singing along to Enjoy the Silence, my head recalls she didn't have the greatest singing voice, my heart remembers differently.
    oh man, i'm sorry for your loss.

Had a friend 22 years old coming back from Magic Mountain with his girl another guy and his girlfriend. Somehow they wen't off the road and hit the other side of a ditch killing all four. He probably wouldn't done real well in life, a lot of people liked him.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    My condolences to everyone in this thread. It's never easy losing someone you loved or cared for, even if many years have gone by.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yep long story short they didn't like me and my childfree lifestyle. They quit hanging out with me after they had a kid which is understandable. We were friends since the 5th grade.

A guy who I used to get in fights with every 2 days was killed a few years ago by a drunk driver. Himself. He was a real piece of shit and he ultimately deserved what happened to him. Thankfully the only other thing he killed was a few median lane trees and a large light/sign post.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    oh man, i'm sorry for your loss.
    I feel more sorry for the people who never got to meet her, she was so sweet.

I've lost four.
    One, who was my best friend from kindergarten, died in an ATV accident, he had just bought his farm, and proposed to his girlfriend.
    Was one of the roughest moments in my life, trying to keep him alive while waiting for the help to arrive.... I've never seen so much blood and.... I hope I never experience something like that again.
    Another was more a friend of my older brother, but I used to hang out with them a lot. He killed himself, Heroin overdose.
    One died from skin cancer, because the meds he needed to actually survive, are too expensive, so they're not given as treatment in my country.
    The last one died at work, fell down from over 50m.

All of these people I knew from age 4-8 up until they died, between 2-3 years ago. 2 of them died within 3 months.... fuck that year.
    Since, I haven't really got any "good" friends left, they're all dead.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Lost a fellow JROTC member in High School. We weren't close friends but we did hang out in a group during class. He was out 4 wheeler riding and decided to jump across a paved road from one dirt road to another. He didn't see the semi coming and was hit. He lasted a few days in critical condition and then died.

A childhood friend was hit by a car and died right in front of me. Like I was still standing on the curb when the car hit him.

Pretty sudden stuff. He died very quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tozza View Post
    I've lost four.
    One, who was my best friend from kindergarten, died in an ATV accident, he had just bought his farm, and proposed to his girlfriend.
    Was one of the roughest moments in my life, trying to keep him alive while waiting for the help to arrive.... I've never seen so much blood and.... I hope I never experience something like that again.
    Another was more a friend of my older brother, but I used to hang out with them a lot. He killed himself, Heroin overdose.
    One died from skin cancer, because the meds he needed to actually survive, are too expensive, so they're not given as treatment in my country.
    The last one died at work, fell down from over 50m.

All of these people I knew from age 4-8 up until they died, between 2-3 years ago. 2 of them died within 3 months.... fuck that year.
    Since, I haven't really got any "good" friends left, they're all dead.....
    fuck man. thats brutal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play in a small amateur band in college. And the lead guitarist passed away a few years back. Was a massive shock. Was a wonderful guy. We performed together for several charities as well as many retirement homes. We sang and played carols during Christmas; covers of Green Day, Lennon, old war songs, old movie classics and stuff like that. I miss the sessions of sitting down and dissecting songs and coming up with our take on it without killing the spirit of it. He was very good at harmony. RIP Sam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.