Page 1 of 186
... LastLast

[Megathread] Amazon's New World MMO

Developer: Amazon Game Studios
    Game: New World
    Release Date: TBA

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ng-gambit.html

From the studio's website:
    Carve your own destiny in New World, a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game set in a living, cursed land. Choose how you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against in an evolving world that transforms with the seasons, weather, and time of day. Band together to reclaim monster-haunted wilds and build thriving civilizations, or strike out on your own, surviving in the face of supernatural terrors and murderous player bandits. Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition.
    Product page:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M07V5OS

My initial thoughts:

While we know Amazon has a huge bank roll for this game, we've seen so many MMOs completely fail even with huge piles of cash behind them. However, I think it's important to note how many big named game designers have been poached by Amazon Game Studios recently.

Finally a sandbox MMO with deep pockets. Not gonna get hyped, nope.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Finally a sandbox MMO with deep pockets. Not gonna get hyped, nope.
    Just because amazon has a lot of money doesn't mean they're going to piss it away on an unproven game market. Amazon's game teams are actually pretty damn small atm so if you're expecting the next large budget MMO you shouldn't be.

Interesting, but overall very broad and general idea.

Plenty developers did a lot of promisses in the MMO genre. Emergent gameplay, rich social features, true sandbox, freedom of gameplay style... all have been promissed before.

Remains to be seen if it will actually be good, but defenitely something to keep an eye on.

At least it seems to depart a bit from the usual either high-fantasy or sci-fi themes recurring in MMOish games (or the recent wave of early acccess survival "MMOs"), which might be refreshing in itself.

i love the idea of a supernatural colonization of north america. thats a really unique idea as far as settings and time period for mmos.

it almost kind of seems like assasins creed mixed with skyrim and minecraft. which could be lots of fun
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Hopefully they make an MMO capable of rivaling WoW. This reminds me of the secret world, while the game had amazing story and atmosphere, the combat and animations are so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Just because amazon has a lot of money doesn't mean they're going to piss it away on an unproven game market. Amazon's game teams are actually pretty damn small atm so if you're expecting the next large budget MMO you shouldn't be.
    I was a day 1 Amazon Fire phone user. I know fully well that not everything Amazon does is gold. However, as a sandbox fan, it is encouraging for me to have a company that has the resources to develop a sandbox right. But, I will admit there is no real information on anything really, and this game has a high likely hood to fail. Still exciting as fuck though.

I just wanted to point out that at the product page linked in the OP you can currently pre-order for 0$.

10+ Year Old Account
    The broad description reminds me heavily of Salem (http://www.salemthegame.com/) albeit with presumably much fancier graphics/mechanics.

Was a good concept, the time period lends itself to sandbox crafting almost perfectly and the supernatural backdrop of melding science with the occult has the potential to make combat interesting.. flintlock firearms Vs witchcraft etc. Sadly in Salems case development fell off as the project changed hands but definitely makes me intrigued for this.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

All sandbox games with PvP are utter crap and I don't see how this one is going to be better.

I'm not sure even whether this will be MMO or not. For some strange reason, the MMO label is put on everything nowadays - often on mere multiplayers that are played as single players most of the time. I guess publishers like the word "Massively" !?
    CU... ...or CF ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGoblin View Post
    I'm not sure even whether this will be MMO or not. For some strange reason, the MMO label is put on everything nowadays - often on mere multiplayers that are played as single players most of the time. I guess publishers like the word "Massively" !?
    Like what?

Because I've seen quite the opposite. You have games like Destiny or ESO where the devs avoid calling their game a MMO like the plague. I think even the Division devs have avoided the term heavily. Media though...less so, though that's in part because most non-MMO specific media are still largely clueless about what a MMO is.

Though given the description and positioning from Amazon, I see no reason not to think this is a MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen in recent years the fault of misplacing the MMO label lies almost entirely with people/players, media seemingly just followed suit for the sake of being current. Same way trolling became a general term because stupid people over/misused it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You have games like Destiny or ESO where the devs avoid calling their game a MMO like the plague. I think even the Division devs have avoided the term heavily.
    That's an odd way to word it.. mentioning Destiny which isn't an MMO alongside ESO which is and 'even the Division' makes it sound like it should be called an MMO, which it of course shouldn't be. Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    That's an odd way to word it.. mentioning Destiny which isn't an MMO alongside ESO which is and 'even the Division' makes it sound like it should be called an MMO, which it of course shouldn't be. Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it .
    True. It has certain MMO elements a la games like Vindictus, but it's absolutely not a MMO proper. My point was that throughout the marketing campaign for the games the devs never once referenced MMO's when talking about it and always actively distanced themselves from it as much as possible. That rather than the devs being the fist ones to call a game a MMO, it's media. And media are largely clueless about what MMO's even really are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant wait to kill the natives and take their land.
    Its gonna be hype.

Seems interesting but I'm more interested when amazon will develop non sandbox MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    I cant wait to kill the natives and take their land.
    Its gonna be hype.
    or at least give root to plenty of memes.

But,. anywah,. the product page is pretty bare bones,. could be anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Seems interesting but I'm more interested when amazon will develop non sandbox MMO.
    They are developing three games.

New World

Breakaway, a 4v4, team-based brawler/hero action game.

Crucible, a 6v6 third-person shooter, also with MOBA elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Crucible, a 6v6 third-person shooter, also with MOBA elements.
    What moba elements? >.>

It's basically capture the flag with some tweaks. I'm trying to remember the full video (can't watch right now) but I can't think of anything beyond, "It has unique characters" that would slot it into the MOBA bucket at all >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What moba elements? >.>

It's basically capture the flag with some tweaks. I'm trying to remember the full video (can't watch right now) but I can't think of anything beyond, "It has unique characters" that would slot it into the MOBA bucket at all >.>
    Shit if I know. I just copy pasted off of one article I found. I'll see if I can find it again. I didn't read the whole thing.

From the article:
    The game is a take on the popular MOBA genre, only you won’t be fighting among creeps. Instead, the game focuses on what it calls “Buildabes” – structures you can summon during the game on your side of the arena.
    Last edited by Piglord; 2016-11-18 at 04:03 AM.