DPS Numbers and Item Level, Can Something Be Done About The Inflation?

While I'm loving Legion, one thing that I'm noticing and concerned with is how high the numbers have become and remembering how it affected MoP when the numbers were similar.

Now I'm terrible at math, but I believe the way things work is because the numbers are just so naturally high it makes upgrades far more powerful then they would normally be. Someone only 10 item levels higher does a far higher amount of damage, including tanks.

Now I remember previous expansions if one knew what they were doing they could put up fair numbers comparable to the rest of average players who were higher item level. I remember in TBC my hunter buddy ran into Karazhan with blues and was pulling 2nd DPS in a group of people with full epics.

In Cataclysm where I was far more casual I could always pull top two despite not being as geared. Where as in MoP since the numbers were so high your damage would increase at a higher rate than normal.

I'm starting to see the same thing in Legion at the start and it will only get worse. This will get frustrating for DPS players who are behind the curve and can barely out damage their tanks. I mean WTH is the point of bringing them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Armor Penetration, DBW and Shadowmourne say hi. I still remember Fury doing absolute garbage DPS without ArP in ICC because we were balanced around it. Gear's been carrying forever. I care less about raw ranks and more about rankings within an ilvl range for my spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

They changed their item level philosophy in MOP. I believe each tier is supposed to be around 25% increase in player effectiveness, and this compounds with a 25% increase per difficulty.

It's just a way to make players artificially feel like they are "getting better" at the game when really everything is stacked to have you just get better naturally. The less players know about the back end systems in place to make their character stronger (aka how subtle it is), the more players want to play because they legitimately think they are getting better as players.

Hooray, generation of everyone's a winner!