Poll: Which form of pvp do you prefer engaging in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like the form of PvP in which melee specs overwhelmingly dominate, and ranged are helpless to do anything. Which one is that again? Oh, all of them in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to like BGs a lot, but I've come to understand that it's basically always an unfair fight - either in your advantage or their advantage - and that makes it much less enjoyable. This could have to do with the pace of BG pvp right now though, which I think is too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    You're right, balanced and fair matches are no fun at all. There's nothing more exciting than playing a 5v20 Wintergrasp where 5 people are in Catapults and nobody can defend them so they just get rolled over. Only thing more fun than that is world PvP where one faction has 50 people and the other has 10 people getting killed over and over again in a city because the guards do nothing. Good call.
    Are you seriously implying arenas have ever been balanced and fair?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a perfect world, world PVP would be best. But right now, world PVP only happens when one side has a clear advantage (in a group, higher level, other guy at low HP or fighting a mob, etc).

I rarely see a 110 attack another 110 of similar gear in a fair fight. It's always a gankfest. Yesterday, I had my 108 Shaman corpse camped by a coward 110 DH with daddy issues to the point where I just had to log off.

So my vote goes to BGs.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I used to like BGs a lot, but I've come to understand that it's basically always an unfair fight - either in your advantage or their advantage - and that makes it much less enjoyable. This could have to do with the pace of BG pvp right now though, which I think is too fast.
    I might enjoy arenas more if there were fewer pillars and terrain, I never enjoyed dealing with pole dancers, especially not now that I have to navigate around such things and the penalty to melee is essentially gone for being melee. At least in bgs there is relatively flat terrain to deal with more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Are you seriously implying arenas have ever been balanced and fair?
    Are you seriously implying they aren't? Damn near every class is viable in arenas right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    I like the form of PvP in which melee specs overwhelmingly dominate, and ranged are helpless to do anything. Which one is that again? Oh, all of them in Legion.
    in RBGs and Arena range is doing just fine, i wouldnt call "overwhelmingly dominate" asp comps like shadow/assaRog/Healer, God comp, RMP those are still very powerful comps with ton of control/dps/peels to throw @ melee

- - - Updated - - -

Are you seriously implying they aren't? Damn near every class is viable in arenas right now.
    Yep so much this, honestly even DHs who got nerfed to the ground in their ST dmg, are still viable in 2.2k+ range with certain comps, even Elem shammies are doing decent with weird comps like Boomy/Elem/Hpal

You're right, balanced and fair matches are no fun at all. There's nothing more exciting than playing a 5v20 Wintergrasp where 5 people are in Catapults and nobody can defend them so they just get rolled over. Only thing more fun than that is world PvP where one faction has 50 people and the other has 10 people getting killed over and over again in a city because the guards do nothing. Good call.

Wintergrasp was okay when it was actually even numbers wise, but even then, it was incredibly uninteresting. No idea why Blizzard was so big into siege weapons for a while there, as if it's somehow fun to drive around in a vehicle pressing one button at a wall for 5 minutes.
    It was the atmosphere that made it fun.

The fact you had 40 v 40 people actually going into a huge ass warzone to conquer a fortress. When it launched and for quite a long time in wow's lifetime it was a big damn deal.

It was pretty amazing and fresh content for example it "was" going to have flying vehicles, planes that could be shotdown by other planes and bombers that could harrass the walls and have 2 seats for a gunner at the back.

Man id kill for a proper warzone, wow isnt about gladiators fighting over 3 man conquests like League its about war, war against another faction and having huge armies collide in bloody bouts of devastation.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Man id kill for a proper warzone, wow isnt about gladiators fighting over 3 man conquests like League its about war, war against another faction and having huge armies collide in bloody bouts of devastation.
    That's what cutscenes are for.

40v40 fights aren't fun, they're just a clusterfuck where what you do is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't matter if you never miss a kick, because the other 10 healers will keep the person alive anyway. Except if one team is coordinated healing doesn't matter, because no amount of healers can heal when 30DPS hit one person at once. So if one side uses a targeting addon, or uses a voice chat to pick targets, it's not even a real fight anymore.

There's a reason they made 40v40 events for two expansions and then never again, people don't enjoy them. The only reason the majority of people did Ashran and Wintergrasp was because it gave an absurd amount of honor, not because they were fun. So in order for people to actually play them they need to give insane rewards, but then they feel required, which just pisses people off because you're being forced into something not fun just to compete.

I'd be more than surprised if they ever add another big PvP zone again, it just doesn't make for good gameplay.

That's what cutscenes are for.

40v40 fights aren't fun, they're just a clusterfuck where what you do is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't matter if you never miss a kick, because the other 10 healers will keep the person alive anyway. Except if one team is coordinated healing doesn't matter, because no amount of healers can heal when 30DPS hit one person at once. So if one side uses a targeting addon, or uses a voice chat to pick targets, it's not even a real fight anymore.

There's a reason they made 40v40 events for two expansions and then never again, people don't enjoy them. The only reason the majority of people did Ashran and Wintergrasp was because it gave an absurd amount of honor, not because they were fun. So in order for people to actually play them they need to give insane rewards, but then they feel required, which just pisses people off because you're being forced into something not fun just to compete.

I'd be more than surprised if they ever add another big PvP zone again, it just doesn't make for good gameplay.

What the hell are you talking about?

Its been 2 expansions since we got a new BG, its almost definate we will get something big in terms of world pvp content mate as Ashran was clearly blizzards way of saying "probably not making new BG's but we will probably focus on world pvp".

Mate, they -will- make more pvp content outside of arena's, arenas are almost non existant in terms of popularity as only a very small minority even ques up for 3v3 or more. Most spam BG ques for prestiege at this point which is exactly why people are getting prestiege ranks and not even touching arena's for ratings these days.

Nah, honestly mate, it will happen, the pvp community has waited long enough for world pvp content thats actually decent quality content for once. Blizzard knows this they even said outright that future content in Legion wont just be revolving around raids and dungeons, they have made it clear, more pvp content "will" be comming.

So honestly, I dunno where your getting your facts but 40 man being unpopular is rubbish, most people spam que AV for the very reason its easy to farm honor and priestege.

As a disc priest I am enjoying being God mode in world pvp...literally unstoppable. Have yet to get ganked this expansion in the world.

Arena 2v2 mainly because none of my friends do competitive arena anymore and I refuse to play arena with people I don't know IRL; it's a hard rule that I will NOT break.

BG's are junk now, too many junk ones and the skill balance is a crap shoot with so many random fucks in a match. Add to the fact they give blue gear for loot i'm like get the fuck out of here with that garbage. I wont participate in BG's out of principal....no gear fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    What the hell are you talking about?

Its been 2 expansions since we got a new BG, its almost definate we will get something big in terms of world pvp content mate as Ashran was clearly blizzards way of saying "probably not making new BG's but we will probably focus on world pvp".

Mate, they -will- make more pvp content outside of arena's, arenas are almost non existant in terms of popularity as only a very small minority even ques up for 3v3 or more. Most spam BG ques for prestiege at this point which is exactly why people are getting prestiege ranks and not even touching arena's for ratings these days.

Nah, honestly mate, it will happen, the pvp community has waited long enough for world pvp content thats actually decent quality content for once. Blizzard knows this they even said outright that future content in Legion wont just be revolving around raids and dungeons, they have made it clear, more pvp content "will" be comming.

So honestly, I dunno where your getting your facts but 40 man being unpopular is rubbish, most people spam que AV for the very reason its easy to farm honor and priestege.

You need desperately to take a reading comprehension class.

I never said they wouldn't make PvP content outside of arenas. I said they wouldn't make more big 40v40 events like Wintergrasp, Ashran, Tol'barad. Of course they'll add new BGs in.

And look what you even said. "most people spam que AV for the very reason its easy to farm honor and priestege." Not because people find AV fun, but because it's the easiest place to farm honor. My point was the majority of people don't find 40v40 nonsense enjoyable, and you proved it yourself when you said people only do it because it gives the best reward. Which is literally exactly what I said in my post when I pointed out that the only reason people ever did any of the big world PvP events was because it felt required.

So I honestly have no idea what you're even attempting to say.

RBGs and WPvP all the way.

I've always hated arenas, but do them anyway because of my friends.

Battlegrounds. I only played 2s in Arena since BC but never liked them. Only did that for gear and faceroll in BGs. I didn't like 2s because it was a burst and tunnel vision fest ending in seconds. Managed over 2k though.

But yeah, BGs is where the fun is, with the massive scale, objectives and all. Arena is too dependant on comps / burst / CC.

10+ Year Old Account
    World PvP from Vanilla through to the end of WotLK on my old server. Through all that, the A:H ratio never went beyond 1.1:1 one way or the other according to the old census sites. These days, no player will willingly ever roll on a server where there could be a fair fight in any MMO now, so world PvP is dead now. But back then, the most fun I ever had involved world PvP.

As it stands now I would have to go with Battle Grounds. The problem I have with arenas is that they are purely a death match and really only highlight strait on fighting specs. While in BGs, there are uses for utility and a variety of specs. For example, a rogue with high mobility could be the deciding factor in an SotA game using the cannons to shadow step to get to areas around enemy lines while the main forces keep the other team distracted.