View Poll Results: How offended are you by this?

Voters
113. This poll is closed
  • Not Offended

92 81.42%
  • Offended

11 9.73%
  • Send this guy to racism prison!

10 8.85%
Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

How Offended are you by Jesse Watters racist chinatown segment

Original video

CNN story:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/05/medi...tters-chinese/

Massive numbers of people are feeling a huge amount of offense on behalf of Chinese Americans, the people running Twitter are even trying to turn this into a trending hashtag. (seriously, they put it on the trending list even though nobody is tweeting about it yet)

Do you know a Chinese American that you are offended by this on behalf of? Should this even be a thing? Do you think we need to create actual thought police so that we can crack down on blatant racism like this before it goes viral?

*Disclaimer: this is not about race, it is about the reaction people are attempting to solicit in response to the original video
    Last edited by Venant; 2016-10-05 at 10:55 PM.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Are you serious m8? Please tell me you're not serious

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Are you serious m8? Please tell me you're not serious
    Oh god, I forgot the trigger warning, you there are 15 seconds of Bill O'Reilly at the start of the video!
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

WTF was that segment?

I just dont get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

This is idiotic and kinda racist, but not a big deal IMO.

Jesus christ that should be career ending.

Didn't really like the style (cutting to movie clips) but I don't take offense because I wasn't attacked. Also if you don't want it to be "viral" or propagate you can just... drumroll...

not watch the video

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    WTF was that segment?
    Jesse Watters; he does a Jay Leno-style man on the street interview segment for the Bill O'Reilly show. It's half silly, half serious, he basically asks random people about their thoughts on current events and splices their responses in with clips from movies and shows for comedic effect.

I didn't find the segment offensive at all.

To be offended by something racial on behalf of someone else not of your own race is fucking stupid, notwithstanding being offended on behalf of someone else for nonracial things being fucking stupid as well.

Let the Chinese be offended for themselves, let them stand against it for themselves. Bullshit to jump into racial whirlwinds that you have nothing to do with. And before someone drops the "first they came for the X" bit fuck off with that and the rest of the melting pot rhetoric.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Not the first time Watters has acted like a piece of shit for the camera though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It stopped one small step short of him saying "ching chong ching chong" and whatnot, but it's more incredibly stupid than racist, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    To be offended by something racial on behalf of someone else not of your own race is fucking stupid, notwithstanding being offended on behalf of someone else for nonracial things being fucking stupid as well.
    I'm not offended on behalf of someone else. Racism itself offends me directly. I don't have to be the target of that racism to find it offensive. The idea that and has to be offended "on someone else's behalf" is just a fundamentally ridiculous stance.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-10-05 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post

Let the Chinese be offended for themselves, let them stand against it for themselves. Bullshit to jump into racial whirlwinds that you have nothing to do with. And before someone drops the "first they came for the X" bit fuck off with that and the rest of the melting pot rhetoric.
    "I'm straight why should I be offended if someone is harassing a gay person over their sexuality"

This mentality of "it's another race you shouldn't be concerned" is stupid.

Deleted
    I am never offended. And I am especially never offended in someone elses stead.
    Also satire and comedy never offends me.

You give other people power if they can offend you easily.

(This doesn't mean I think it is cool what Jesse Watters, whoever that is, did. I am simply not offended by it).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...se-people.html
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.51f91533785b
    http://www.salon.com/2016/10/05/watc...actor-segment/
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/jesse...ous-video-yet/

Just some more citation for those questioning whether this is actually a thing, it has been pretty heavily written about so far since it was picked up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm not offended on behalf of someone else. Racism itself offends me directly. I don't have to be the target of that racism to find it offensive. That's just a fundamentally ridiculous stance.
    How can anyone read this without thinking you're referring to what you yourself said?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    "I'm straight why should I be offended if someone is harassing a gay person over their sexuality"

This mentality of "it's another race you shouldn't be concerned" is stupid.
    Why is offense (emotional) conflated with concern for the safety (physical or otherwise) of others?

I'm offended at how fail their attempt at humor was. But just remember, you can't make any references to race or stereotypes unless it's about white people. Just like the other night on the Conan O'Brian show he had on Kevin hart, and Kevin was making fun of Conan for being too white and the audience thought it was hilarious...but play the song Kung Fu Fighting during a comedy piece by a shit news channel and the world is basically over. The Chinese invented Kung Fu! Chinatown is know for selling hot merch and knock off items! It's just lazy humor, not offensive.

I'm more offended about the people that are offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    How can anyone read this without thinking you're referring to what you yourself said?
    Fair enough, I edited it to be more clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    The editing is pretty offensive