Light of the Titans vs Scatter the Shadows

I hear so many grumbles about Light of the Titans, but very few about Scatter the Shadows. When I do the math, one point in LotT increases healing from LotP/HotP as much as all three points combined in Scatter the Shadows. Yes, it's a h.o.t. rather than an instant, but it's still more total healing. Eventually we will have all the talents. I am just musing tonight about whether LotT deserves more respect.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I wish I would have tested this out more on beta, but can anyone confirm if LotT generates healing aggro? Would be kind of nice for picking up staggered adds in dungeons, like the adds on Lady Hatecoil for example.

The problem isn't just that it's a HoT, but that it's a very long HoT - longer than the cooldown of the ability that triggers it, so you end up wasting part of the effect, and it's very minimal in HPS

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    The problem isn't just that it's a HoT, but that it's a very long HoT - longer than the cooldown of the ability that triggers it, so you end up wasting part of the effect, and it's very minimal in HPS
    As long as I'm getting the heals, it still seems like a good value. In my experience, I spend very little time topped off while raiding. Does it say anywhere that it can't overlap?
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-10-07 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It is useful if you are using HotP on others as well.
    Yeah - and when I read the tooltip, it sounds like it will cast with every HotP, even if you already have one rolling. I haven't tested it, but I see no reason you couldn't have 2 or even 3 of these rolling at a time.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-10-07 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    As long as I'm getting the heals, it still seems like a good value. In my experience, I spend very little time topped off while raiding. Does it say anywhere that it can't overlap?
    No, because not stacking with itself is the default behavior. There are very few effects that stack themselves and they're called out explicitly in the spell descriptions.

Looking at the full duration makes Light of the Titans look better than it is. Say a 8 second cooldown on hand of the protector, less with Righteous Protector, more without Hand of the Protector. 8/15*500% would be 266.67% of AP. At 25k AP That's a 67k hot. HotP is 30%*1.2*0.06 per point, or 2.16% of missing HP. That amounts to Roughly 3.1m missing health. But that doesn't account for the fact that Light of the Titans is a hot and will overheal, while HotP doesn't. Say 30% overhealing that means you'd need about 2.16m missing HP which is quite a bit, but could be possible but not too likely to always be dropping that low. Then there's the fact that HotP is a burst of healing, which is far more valuable for saving you. All things considered I'd rather have points in scatter shadows than I would Light of the Titans.

Yeah, obviously Scatter the Shadows is great, and Light of the Titans is lackluster. Hopefully Blizz does something about the two gold traits in Prot that are completely underwhelming. The Avenger's Shield one that does about zero damage splash is also laughable. Other classes are in the same boat, though. Some gold traits are just amazing and others suck. We have one amazing one and two "meh" to "suck" depending on how you look at it.

For me, I don't compare Scatter vs. Light as one vs. the other, because hey, you're gonna get both eventually. No way around it. It's still healing.

It is slow, and it isn't great.

But, it's about 30k hp (depending on gear - for ilvl 854 equipped it ticks just under 30k for me). Big STR proc items (alchemy flask) are nice for this as they scale very well since it's based on your Attack Power. I imagine Avenging Wrath would also increase it.. figuring Wings + STR proc you're looking about 40k max tick around that ilvl, and it will get better as it goes. But 30k every 3 seconds, baseline, which translates to 10k hps.

Now, it's not flashy or sexy, but 10k sustained hps in fights where you're likely not going to be full health anyway and will keep it refreshed constantly isn't completely terrible. Nothing to write home about or beeline to, but it's still 10k hps that you don't have to think about.

So take it as you will. I don't even look at it as the 500% AP HoT, or whatever... just as a 10k hps HOT that we can keep up indefinitely on ourselves and will also apply when you HotP that random person as well.

After tanking with Light of the Titans for a couple of days, Recount tells me it is 4.5% of my overall self heals. Hand of the Protector is 18%. Which makes LotT a 25% increase to the healing I get when using HotP. All three ranks for StS combined are an 18% increase.

25% as H.O.T. for 1 point vs 18% instant for 3 points.

I think we've been undervaluing Light of the Titans.