Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Whether the US mimics Europe over the coming decades depends on performance. If their economy performs good relative to the US then that bodes well for the model. If not then its weaknesses will be obvious over time.
    It's been working well so far. I think taking the best of both systems would definitely push the US forward economically - and I see many of Hillary's policies as able to, at least, move towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Meh, every election is the supposed coming of death and destruction. Its getting pretty old the older I get.

I still remember Regan getting elected, I couldnt vote quite yet, but I remember it and how "this movie star doesnt know shit about politics and going to get us Nuked by ruskies". Then Clinton was going to take our guns and give away entitlements and drive us into financial death. Then If George Bush jr didnt act TODAY, the earth was going to melt in 2005 from global warming. Then Obama was going to take our guns and throw away the constitution and become a dictator.....

Shits getting old.
    You have to agree though: there haven't been primary candidates of Trump's level in quite a while. People compare him to Nixon sometimes... I recently watched debates between Kennedy and Nixon: Nixon is a Nobel Prize in all nominations combined winner, compared to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Those are good examples, good change comes from innovation.

People who want to 'burn down the system' dont have innovative ideas, its just about jealousy.
    People have plenty of innovative ideas, the problem is that they do not have a political platform to support them. The majority of americans are socially liberal, fiscally conservative and not really represented by either democratic or republican party. It's an enormous topic to really discuss and deal with. At the end of the day, burning down the system is the only real solution to a system which has made it impossible for any meaningful change to occur.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    People have plenty of innovative ideas, the problem is that they do not have a political platform to support them. The majority of americans are socially liberal, fiscally conservative and not really represented by either democratic or republican party. It's an enormous topic to really discuss and deal with. At the end of the day, burning down the system is the only real solution to a system which has made it impossible for any meaningful change to occur.
    What is the new system that replaces it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Burning it down won't really help. Those with greed and ambition are always poised to take over, and unchecked ambition driven by selfish greed is what has molded the parts of our system that desperately need changing. Unless you're talking about full on revolution, in which case, yes, perhaps that might bring about meaningful change.

I personally believe we just need people with integrity in our leadership positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

So Clinton is 4 years of watered down republicanized Obama policies. And trump is 4 years of corporations growing richer. How is that any different than the last 8 years of Obama

I just want the Canadian dollar to be worth more than three quarters of a US dollar. Whatever it takes to make that happen, really.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    What is the new system that replaces it?
    Like I said, it's a huge topic to discuss. We wouldn't really need a new system if we could deal away with legal corruption and corporate "free speech". Having max term limits for senators and congressman as well as no hire stipulations for those coming out of office with companies they engaged in while in office would be great starts.
    @Korlok

We may HAVE to burn it down because their doesn't seem to be an avenue where the kind of change needed can be made. Their is no point in doing anything if we cannot implement safeguards to prevent the legal corruption running rampant through washington dc. I totally agree with you about people of integrity, the problem is that washington dc is such a cesspool noone can be there for long without getting tainted somehow, someway.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US survived eight years of Bush / Cheney even though they should have ever been elected and used their power to screw US citizens and pad their pockets.

We survived Tea / Republicans pushing McCain / Palin on us.

We survived Tea / Republicans pushing Romney / Ryan on us.

Compared to anything the conservatives have done to try to ruin this country eight years of Hillary Clinton will be like a dream.
    Last edited by Espe; 2016-10-07 at 02:07 AM.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    The US survived eight years of Bush / Cheney even though they should have ever been elected and used their power to screw US citizens and pad their pockets.

We survived Tea / Republicans pushing McCain / Palin on us.

We survived Tea / Republicans pushing Romney / Ryan on us.

Compared to anything the conservatives have done to try to ruin this country eight years of Hillary Clinton will be like a dream.
    What about 8 Trump years?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. In most ways, bad. Sadly, I am not optimistic for the future of America in terms of good changes. Sure, there have been some good changes, esp when it comes to advances in medicine and technology, which makes life easier. But there are many moral and ethical failures which are becoming more rampant and in too many cases, even accepted as normal. Corruption within the governing bodies and those in authority are too common. I guess count me in as one of the majority of Americans who feel the US is heading in the wrong direction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    What about 8 Trump years?
    The economy will be largely the same regardless of Trump/Hillary, but having more walls and illegals on the other side would be a bonus.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-10-07 at 03:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    how is paying tens of billions for a wall a bonus? wouldn't that be a negative? also primarycolor idk if you heard about this invention...it's called a tunnel. been around since ancient times.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    how is paying tens of billions for a wall a bonus? wouldn't that be a negative? also primarycolor idk if you heard about this invention...it's called a tunnel. been around since ancient times.
    A wall is just one tool, we already use walls all the time. Think of border control like an onion, there should be many layers, stopping tunnels is also good. If you deport huge amounts of illegals you will also be disincentivizing other people considering the crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    The economy will be largely the same regardless of Trump/Hillary, but having more walls and illegals on the other side would be a bonus.
    Both Bush presidencies led to war and recession while Obama and slick Willy had Reagan-like or higher approval ratings.

We really need to cut the thought that conservative policies have better or similar economic outcomes. You can argue about small sample sizes here but those 4 presidents span most of our lives.

There's absolutely no reason to vote for a tax evading trickle down economics pusher.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Both Bush presidencies led to war and recession while Obama and slick Willy had Reagan-like or higher approval ratings.

We really need to cut the thought that conservative policies have better or similar economic outcomes. You can argue about small sample sizes here but those 4 presidents span most of our lives.

There's absolutely no reason to vote for a tax evading trickle down economics pusher.
    The real estate crash was caused by a huge amount of people. You can blame the past couple presidents but that would be just a segment of the blame. Yes war is typically a waste of money, Clinton isn't any better on the issue, she voted for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    Burning it down won't really help. Those with greed and ambition are always poised to take over, and unchecked ambition driven by selfish greed is what has molded the parts of our system that desperately need changing. Unless you're talking about full on revolution, in which case, yes, perhaps that might bring about meaningful change.

I personally believe we just need people with integrity in our leadership positions.
    I agree burning everything down isn't necessary
    There are a few different things that need to change but I think the most prudent is health care reform. There's no reason why the US spends 17% GDP when it doesn't cover anyone. That 3-4% wasted GDP would go a long way.

- - - Updated - - -

The real estate crash was caused by a huge amount of people. You can blame the past couple presidents but that would be just a segment of the blame. Yes war is typically a waste of money, Clinton isn't any better on the issue, she voted for it.
    Sure Clinton voted for it but Trump is doubling down on crashing Syria and pushing tax policies that put us right back to where we were.

Deleted
    There seems to be a rift in the US. Maybe even multiple.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think the US will eventually break into smaller countries this century.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Every generation says they'll be different before they become their parents.
    Except every generation is distinctly different... look at the rock'n'roll period of the 50s, the flower power movement of the 60s, the party people of the 70s, the 80s punks, the 90s hip hoppers and the internet youths of today. Skroe, really... I get a bit of fatalism, but this was sloppy.

It sounded good, though, I admit. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Could have sworn we went through this when Obama took office.

Nothing changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I think that commentator was being histrionic and projecting.

America is not some banana republic or ex-Soviet Eastern European country. Our power and strength isn't in some ridiculous wrestling match for the Presidency. It flows from our people, our economy, our technology... so many things. The font of power of America is highly distributed in nature and incredibly durable.

To be felled by a mere Presidential election? That commentator must be new around here.
    Its like the rest of the world didnt know bush was a fucking idiot and that we survived him, they somehow think we cant survive the incoming 2.