Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Ret] My damage is severely lacking.

Hey everyone.
    First, Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread.
    So the issue I'm having is that I'm ilvl 854 and I'm only pulling 150k so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I've scoured the forums and have read every guide but can't seem to get my dps above around 150. So I'm asking the world of ret pallys for their advise on my situation.
    My standard opener is: WoA>Judge+Crusader>TV>CS>TV>BoW>CS>TV then continue with rotation with judge basically on CD through the fight and lining up crusade with lust. Obviously on 3+ I swap TV with DS.
    All the sims I've done say I should be around 250k and I'm holding our heroic EN back. I think it may have something to do with my stats because the rotation is pretty easy.
    My pallys name is Kivross on Stormrage. (I'd post the link but the forum won't let me.)
    Just hoping to get any tips or advise you may have.

Thanks everyone!
    Kiv

Deleted
    Hello! I've rerolled retri aswell, Im currently at 864 ilevel and im pulling around 250-300k dps in EN, Im using almost the same rotation as you. But hows your stats? They recently changed the haste cap from 30% to 22%.

I first used 30% haste but changed down to 22% now and it feels weird but im pulling more DPS.

Haste 22%
    Crit - > Vers
    Mastery

I wasn't aware of the 22% cap. Right now I'm sitting at:
    Haste = 23%
    Mastery = 30%
    Crit = 16%
    Vers = 6%

Deleted
    Wouldn't it be a better opener to:
    CS -> BoW-> CS -> CS -> CRUSADE + JUDGEMENT -> TV -> CS (or TV if fires of justice procs) -> TV (if there was no proc) -> WoA -> rotation from here on...

That's atleast what i'm running with if the probability is high enough, that i'll be able to spend the first 35 seconds on the boss.
    But i'm hardly an authority on perfect DPS, so correct me if i'm wrong.

Deleted
    We've the same stats almost, Im at 22% crit and 4% Vers, I don't really know whats wrong then. What level in artifact are you ? Shouldn't make 100k diffrence but might change the DPS diffrence a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I do start with WoA and pull Crusader on 5 holy power, and then just keep using CS and and BoW to build holypower and spend it all on TV, You get a fast opener and a big burst from using Crusader on your first 5 holy power cause of WoA. But not sure either but I like it that way.

Zmago - so the reason I go WoA first is because it allows me to put immediate burst damage on the boss. With it I'll jump to 280-300k during Crusade but drops faster than a rock as soon as Crusade drops off.

Wasted: its at 884 right now. Bee-lined it to ATA then moved to EotH and just finished my AW/Crusade time buff.

Deleted
    Im talking about your Artifact trait level, Your artifact specc.

Also - Zmago, Can I ask you about your Mythic+ build / talents? Seems like you've played retri longer than me!

Artifact is at 22 right now

Wait - Haste cap is at 22%? Even tho all guides and posts talk about 30%?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasted13 View Post
    Im talking about your Artifact trait level, Your artifact specc.
    Also - Zmago, Can I ask you about your Mythic+ build / talents? Seems like you've played retri longer than me!
    Well to be honest; i have not given much thought, nor have i had time to do much of them. The best i have completed thus far were +5 Arcway and +5 EoA with chests... (My excuse is lack of time )
    And i am running my usual spec there; rather single-target oriented.

Like i said; i'm hardly a role-model here; just wanted to give you something to try and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivross View Post
    Zmago - so the reason I go WoA first is because it allows me to put immediate burst damage on the boss. With it I'll jump to 280-300k during Crusade but drops faster than a rock as soon as Crusade drops off.
    As much as i know the plus side to quick burst is if you prepot, since the pot only lasts the 15 seconds in the start.
    The burst is also (without a doubt) the way to go when you cannot guarantee that you will spend the whole Crusade on the boss (mythic Rantheral for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by Dobz View Post
    Wait - Haste cap is at 22%? Even tho all guides and posts talk about 30%?
    The guides are more a general guide-line than the rule. In reality your stat-weights will change with every item you change and vary greatly based on your talents and artifact traits.

Are you using consumable like potion of old war? Are you using 3 mights on the top dps? Your also missing so much dps going the short route to ashes its not worth it but its too late now
    Last edited by Butosai; 2016-10-12 at 12:17 PM.
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

1. I'm not currently potting because all of my energy has been going to flasks.
    2. Our healers seem to think wisdom helps, so no might is going out.
    3. Do you really think that the artifact path has a 100k difference?

I'm not sure if the long way to Ashes to Ashes accounts for 100k dps, but it certainly helps. Almost every trait in the long way increases your damage in some way.

Not using BoM on the top 3 DPS will really hurt you too. If you take a look at heroic and mythic logs you'll see that BoM accounts for approx. 9% of our total damage.

Deleted
    1. I'm not currently potting because all of my energy has been going to flasks.
    2. Our healers seem to think wisdom helps, so no might is going out.
    3. Do you really think that the artifact path has a 100k difference?
    1. helps a ton with dps, even after they've been nerfed.
    2. Major problem, buff might and nothing else
    3. Might not be 100k but it can be a lot.

But does BoM actually count towards the ret dps while might is on other players?

- - - Updated - - -

Haxx- I'll have to talk to my GM about it. Our healers seem to think wisdom helps them :/

BoM does count towards our meters while it's on other players.

I...did not know that lol. Learn something new every day.

Deleted
    The little mana that they gain from wisdom wouldn't be needed if the DPS were higher due to might. It literally does nothing for them and more DPS means faster boss kills means less mana needed. Look at your highest DPS and give it to them. Don't listen to healers.

I...did not know that lol. Learn something new every day.
    Keep in mind that in-game meters aren't perfect, also. I don't know if it's been fixed now, but for the first several weeks of Legion Recount was counting BoM at the recipient's damage, which is incorrect. Skada was counting it correctly as the Ret's DPS but I heard some people say it's inconsistent in the damage it logs. Warcraftlogs is best because it tracks it correctly every time, from what I've seen.

Like the above post says, you're best off casing Might on your top 3 DPS, that will give you the biggest DPS benefit (some Rets always want to cast one on themselves, even if that is hurting their potential DPS).

What rotation I have been going with thus far with an opener of 450-500k+ is:
    1. At ~3.5 seconds on timer I Arcane Torrent
    2. 1-2sec on pull Potion of the Old War
    3. BoW while running in/horse in.
    4. Crusader Strike x2
    5. Judgement
    6. Crusade
    7. Justicar's Vengeance
    8. Wake of Ashes
    9. Justicar's Vengeance
    10. Judgment
    11. Crusader Strike
    12. BoW
    13. Crusader Strike x2
    14. Templar's Verdict

Then I just build 5 HoPo and spam TV until WoA is up again where I let my HoPo get to 0 and ashes to refill. Depends on the need for burst on the fight but Arcane Torrent will be up around 1min left on Crusade's cd, which I'll either use ASAP (Ursoc/Cenarius/Xavius) or on longer fights I'll save for the second Crusade.
    Last edited by Coldfrostzero; 2016-10-12 at 03:35 PM.