Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Emphasis on DAMAGE - remember that smite provides significantly more *healing* than it does *damage*, because of the absorb debuff on the enemy target, unless you're rolling a LOT of atonements in order to make the absorb part insignificant.
    Yes, I've also got a part of my post to emphasize:

The legendary belt is mostly useful in questing and heroics when you can just DPS your heart out without worrying about mana or healing. It's less useful in raids
    I'm not looking at healing, I'm looking at DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yes, I've also got a part of my post to emphasize:

I'm not looking at healing, I'm looking at DPS.
    Point being, that's really not going to be what the vast majority of people care about when playing a healer - and questing/heroics are entirely irrelevant for any person trying to optimise their play anyway :d

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Point being, that's really not going to be what the vast majority of people care about when playing a healer - and questing/heroics are entirely irrelevant for any person trying to optimise their play anyway :d
    That's exactly what I'm talking about with this item, though. It's really only useful as a DPS increase in trivial content, because you can't particularly make the best use of it in challenging raid content.

The only reason it's less useful in a raid is because you have more Atonements to juggle and thus less opportunities to cast Smite, generally speaking. But I still try to follow every Penance immediately with a Smite, it still procs quite often and it definitely improves HPS in a raid at key moments in a fight with the right setup. There are plenty of predictable raid damage mechanics where you hand out Atonements beforehand then become a DPS turret for 10 seconds, and a few Cord procs in there can mean a big difference in HPS, especially if PI, Innervate, or Lust are up.

I still don't think canceling a cast for Penance is worth the brain power or chance of lowering output due to reaction time and latency. Worrying about Atonements and fight mechanics is plenty to be concerned with until I've got Mythic Xavius on farm, and even then I have doubts that canceling is a practical improvement in output. I also don't think it's a good idea to have Penance in a cast-cancel macro in general as it makes it more difficult to optimally cast it at the end of another spell's cast bar, especially if your internet connection is inconsistent as mine is.
    Last edited by Xepperoni; 2016-10-14 at 06:17 PM.

Yeah, it's less useful in raids because:

-You're casting less Smites
    -You've got other things to pay attention to, thus you can't really give a whole lot of attention to sharply watching your Penance CD for resets

I really only make the best use of the belt proc in content where healing/focus doesn't really matter, such as questing and random heroics.