Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How are the Mythic+ timers?

I haven't done any Mythic+ content yet, but they will likely be my main source to scratch the hardcore itch for me (not a fan of 20m content, so dropped out of the mythic raid scene). I recently moved servers after hitting 110 on two other characters to play with some RL friends, and I'm almost 110 now.

Just curious, how are the timers? Do you feel rushed, or is it just a way to keep people from taking days to complete them? Did CM's the last two expansions, are they strict like that, or fairly forgiving?

Also, how exactly do the keys work? I've gotten keys before on my Warrior, but didn't do anything with them because I changed toons. For instance, to do Mythic+ 10 (assuming I'm using my own key) do you have to do the dungeon 9 times in a row? Or is there a way to boost over the lower levels without consecutive runs?

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    You get 1, 2 or 3 chests of loot depending on how quickly you beat the timer. Getting 3 chests above +6 is pretty difficult but getting 1 chest is a cake walk, getting even 1 chest above +10 is pretty difficult. So it all depends on which difficulty and how many chests.

Theyre fairly forgiving up from challenge modes, but still are short enough that you act loligag. Clearing through them as fast as possible gives you more chests so its important to keep up and be consistant.
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

The timers are there to push you; expect to be consistently pulling and making your way through the dungeon. As for the keys, have you noticed a pedestal at the beginning of the dungeon? That's where you drop you key. One thing I would do is write down all of the extra difficulty parameters the keys can bring until you have them memorized (the key will have a description of what it will also modify in the dungeon). Also, as you complete mythic+ levels, within given time limits, the key will grow to the next level for you, but only for that dungeon. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Celadir View Post
    The timers are there to push you; expect to be consistently pulling and making your way through the dungeon. As for the keys, have you noticed a pedestal at the beginning of the dungeon? That's where you drop you key. One thing I would do is write down all of the extra difficulty parameters the keys can bring until you have them memorized (the key will have a description of what it will also modify in the dungeon). Also, as you complete mythic+ levels, within given time limits, the key will grow to the next level for you, but only for that dungeon. Hope this helps!
    Helpful, thank you. Curious: Other than using someone else's higher level key, do you HAVE to run +1 then +2 then +3, etc. every reset to get to the higher level keys, or is there a way to jump to, say, +8 once you've already done it? I love the idea of Mythic+ (and it was one of the main reasons I came back), but wasn't sure if I'm gonna have to run a dungeon 9 times every single week to get a +10 key (just an example). I only ask because I know the key I had died after reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    ... do you HAVE to run +1 then +2 then +3, etc. every reset to get to the higher level keys, or is there a way to jump to, say, +8 once you've already done it? ...
    Say this week you work your key up to +8. Next tuesday your key will be gone. Go to the big box in your order hall, get a nice piece of loot, and a +7 key.

Quote Originally Posted by nerf shaman View Post
    Say this week you work your key up to +8. Next tuesday your key will be gone. Go to the big box in your order hall, get a nice piece of loot, and a +7 key.
    Okay, great! I was worried I would have to run lower levels of each one every single week. That's encouraging, thank you!

+6, not +7. 2 levels lower than your highest.

The +4 and lower give you plenty of time, you can wipe a couple times and still meet the timer. Anything higher can get a bit tougher depending on your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    I ran a +6 last week with guildies, two of us got a +5 stone and two got a +4 stone, so it seems it can be either 1 or 2 levels below.

Deleted
    As a healer, in Mythic+ I feel as in a 30 minute long fight, with no time to rest, ever. The tank and DPSs have to constantly pull as much as possible, leaving me with very little time, if any, to get some mana back. If you heal, expect to spend the first part of each boss encounter drinking, and praying you do not get interrupted or the party does not need help right now.

My feeling is that, were I a DPS or a tank, I would surely enjoy them much, much more.

As a healer, I don't enjoy them very much. Too much pressure and responsibility. One minor mistake on my part can easily compromise the whole run -- say, drinking on the wrong spot on a boss pull and getting interrupted (or left out of the boss arena), or failing to start drinking in the whole half second which passes from the last trash mob to the boss pull.

Further, as a holy priest I mostly have hard casts, which are hard to do with a continuously advancing party.

Personally, I'd make the time for one chest much longer -- I like hard content, but dislike rushing.

By comparison, heroic raiding is less stressful. Even when mistakes do happen, all your raid lost is ~6 minute time, and you can try again soon. You need to stay very focused, but only during the fights, and you get a short rest after every try.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    You get 1, 2 or 3 chests of loot depending on how quickly you beat the timer. Getting 3 chests above +6 is pretty difficult but getting 1 chest is a cake walk, getting even 1 chest above +10 is pretty difficult. So it all depends on which difficulty and how many chests.
    You are guaranteed a chest when you finish no matter the time but yeah my first time in a 10 it took almost an hour lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post
    As a healer, in Mythic+ I feel as in a 30 minute long fight, with no time to rest, ever. The tank and DPSs have to constantly pull as much as possible, leaving me with very little time, if any, to get some mana back. If you heal, expect to spend the first part of each boss encounter drinking, and praying you do not get interrupted or the party does not need help right now.

My feeling is that, were I a DPS or a tank, I would surely enjoy them much, much more.

As a healer, I don't enjoy them very much. Too much pressure and responsibility. One minor mistake on my part can easily compromise the whole run -- say, drinking on the wrong spot on a boss pull and getting interrupted (or left out of the boss arena), or failing to start drinking in the whole half second which passes from the last trash mob to the boss pull.

Further, as a holy priest I mostly have hard casts, which are hard to do with a continuously advancing party.

Personally, I'd make the time for one chest much longer -- I like hard content, but dislike rushing.

By comparison, heroic raiding is less stressful. Even when mistakes do happen, all your raid lost is ~6 minute time, and you can try again soon. You need to stay very focused, but only during the fights, and you get a short rest after every try.
    I play a tank and I agree with this 100%. Rushing just isn't fun. I much prefer it if challenge comes from execution, not speed.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post

This is specifically why I am glad I did not decide to main a healer (priest) this expansion. My hat is off to healers in M+. I couldn't do it. Much respect.

Deleted
    the timers are pretty though for the average players.

There is a lot of rushing tactics when you go higher levels.

Its definatly NOT just to prevent you from wiping your way though the dungeon.

hitting the one-chest timer shouldn't be hard for a group that's playing competently until you reach like, +8. Above that they can get pretty challenging depending on a lot of factors
    Last edited by Cheze; 2016-10-14 at 12:12 AM.

One thing to keep in mind is the affixes added in at +4, +7, and +10.

The difference between a 6 and a 7 is a lot more than the difference between a 5 and a 6, as your party has to deal with an extra mechanic for the entire run.

These affixes are vastly different to different groups and different dungeons. A group made of pure cleave dps will have an easy time with bolstering (1 dies it buffs everything around it), while the same group may experience tank deaths with raging (double damage sub 30% health).

The two +10 affixes that swap back and forth (massive buff to either trash or bosses) will straight up make some dungeons death traps. Vault of the Wardens has mini bosses that gain strength with the fortified buff and can easily wipe a party that isn't ready for it (especially combined with something like raging), wheras the bosses in there simply become longevity fights. Darkheart Thicket final boss with Tyrannical will one-shot you if you don't have massive reduction/immunity to his shadowbolt volley.

Also, since it hasn't been mentioned, heres how the chests and keystone levels work.If you clear the dungeon (whether it takes 5 minutes or 5 days) you will get 1 chest. If you clear the timer you get 1 chest and your keystone will go up 1 level. The dungeon you get from this new key will be random. If you clear the timer by 20% you get an additional chest, and your key will jump up 2 levels. 40% or higher clear time will give you a third chest, with your key going up 3 levels. Each chest has a piece of loot for 2 of the 5 members, but only the initial chest will give artifact power.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Timers are there for a reason. They are incredibly forgiving if you're at the gear level you're suppose to be at, and you can play properly.

People saying they should relax the timers aren't really understanding the point of the timers. The timer is there to push you and judge you based on your entire groups performance. If there was no timer, or the timer didn't matter, you would literally go in with mass CC, take your time and likely run cheesy compositions like multiple healers or multiple tanks in some of the instances.

It's there for a reason and it's absolutely needed. There is no sense of urgency or rushing if you're at the key level that your group is suppose to be at. Remember, the higher level you go in these the more preparation is needed. Not using flasks, potions or food severely gimps your group. M+ is suppose to be an equivalent to raiding and should be treated as such as you climb higher and higher into it's difficulties. It's still fast, but go look at the +15 videos and see how fast people go through those. The pulls are slow, calculated and a lot of things need to happen, or things go to shit.

Deleted
    It's probably our group composition and/or inexperience with M+ dungeons, but I find the timers fairly tight. We've just recently completed our first +6 and so far only got 1 extra chest. We're running with a DK tank, destro lock, hunter, shadow priest and resto shammy (me) and almost every pull gives me a heart attack. As a result, we're pulling carefully (mostly 1 pack at a time), but try not to stop between packs or bosses.

Our comp is far from ideal (definitely lacking some solid burst AoE and tank CDs to survive big pulls), but I doubt the majority actually min/maxes (sure, plenty try but many horribly fail at it regardless), which has a big impact on what you're able to do within the given time. With a lack of good burst AoE DPS (faster kill times) or good tank CDs (pulling multiple packs), M+ timers are doable but will rarely award extra chests unless you've already done it a dozen times.

Point being: how forgiving the times feel it hugely dependent on the classes you bring and less about skill. I feel the current timers are fair enough to allow non-optimal groups to progress without making it too easy. It's more important to me that skill determines outcome instead of the class you picked, but even though that isn't true, it's still better than it used to be in the past

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanede View Post
    I ran a +6 last week with guildies, two of us got a +5 stone and two got a +4 stone, so it seems it can be either 1 or 2 levels below.
    I got you beat. I've been running +10 since week 1, 2 weeks I got a +8 key, this week I got a +7. So yeah it seems to have some randomness in it.