A Longitudinal Measurement Study of 4chan's Politically Incorrect Forum and its....

...Effect on the Web

The UN takes a close look at 4chan's /pol/

WTF?

you can download the whole study here

https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.03452

Although it has been a part of the dark underbelly of the Internet since its inception, recent events have brought the discussion board site 4chan to the forefront of the world's collective mind. In particular, /pol/, 4chan's "Politically Incorrect" board has become a central figure in the outlandish 2016 Presidential election. Even though 4chan has long been viewed as the "final boss of the Internet," it remains relatively unstudied in the academic literature.

In this paper we analyze /pol/ along several axes using a dataset of over 8M posts. We first perform a general characterization that reveals how active posters are, as well as how some unique features of 4chan affect the flow of discussion. We then analyze the content posted to /pol/ with a focus on determining topics of interest and types of media shared, as well as the usage of hate speech and differences in poster demographics. We additionally provide quantitative evidence of /pol/'s collective attacks on other social media platforms. We perform a quantitative case study of /pol/'s attempt to poison anti-trolling machine learning technology by altering the language of hate on social media. Then, via analysis of comments from the 10s of thousands of YouTube videos linked on /pol/, we provide a mechanism for detecting attacks from /pol/ threads on 3rd party social media services.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You've never read anything about 4chan and being connections with Anonymous? Or any of the myriad political protests? Look up Scientology and the world wide effects. Not surprising the UN would get an interest in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god the UN needs to stop now. 4 chan is not a good place

This is actually really really interesting and kind of long overdue.

4chan is known for it's lack of rules and moderation and doing a study that looks into what kind of website it is and how it effects the rest of the internet and maybe even real life is actually interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Oh god the UN needs to stop now. 4 chan is not a good place
    Pretty sure that's what they want to confirm with their studies.
    If you get official scientific data, you can apply proper measurements, or say legislation.

And let's face it. The unregulated internet as we have it right now, that's a temporary situation.
    Anyone old enough to use online data transfer since it's beginnings, knows how there never was a law free space.
    Whatever one does online, no matter what it is, their own domestic laws always apply.
    The problem right now is, how those laws rarely get executed. Probably because the use of online data transfers outgrew the various law enforcement agencies.
    We can't possibly double the police force in every country, just because lawlessness on the internet is out of control. That has to be solved differently.
    To do that, I think comprehensive studies have to happen.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

How many of the blue helmets got red-pilled in the process?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    the internet is real life pal.
    My table saw is real life too
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    Is there no end to the bullshit you can get funding for in the UN?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Is there no end to the bullshit you can get funding for in the UN?
    What do you think they should do with their funding?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    What do you think they should do with their funding?
    Reading this "study", it seems setting it on fire to warm up a homeless person would do more good than slapping "study" on this ridiculous blog-post and giving it the backing of the UN.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    If you get official scientific data, you can apply proper measurements, or say legislation.

And let's face it. The unregulated internet as we have it right now, that's a temporary situation.
    Unregulated spaces online will exists for as long as there's an online to get to, data encryption basically guarantees it will always be possible. Which, while it has downsides, has tremendous upsides too that I don't think we should be so desperate to counter.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted

PRAISE KEK!

lmao.

Well this shows that 4chan is a power to be reckoned with! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Unregulated spaces online will exists for as long as there's an online to get to, data encryption basically guarantees it will always be possible. Which, while it has downsides, has tremendous upsides too that I don't think we should be so desperate to counter.
    I fail to see any positives.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I fail to see any positives.
    With an anonymous space without regulation everyone's voice is equal to the other and all ideas must be judged to the same degree, without repurcussion because of the law of the land or the person who is saying it.
    I am the lucid dream

My approval for seriously and methodically investigating the chans is in conflict with my refusal for serious people to consider the endeavor.

With an anonymous space without regulation everyone's voice is equal to the other and all ideas must be judged to the same degree, without repurcussion because of the law of the land or the person who is saying it.
    I can do that in regulated spaces. It's just a matter of allowing nicknames, which goes to my point what's the positive of having sites as unregulated as 4chan?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post

Anyone old enough to use online data transfer since it's beginnings, knows how there never was a law free space.
    Whatever one does online, no matter what it is, their own domestic laws always apply.
    The problem right now is, how those laws rarely get executed. Probably because the use of online data transfers outgrew the various law enforcement agencies.
    We can't possibly double the police force in every country, just because lawlessness on the internet is out of control. That has to be solved differently.
    To do that, I think comprehensive studies have to happen.
    Lawlessness on the internet? How so? People posting mean comments isn't breaking the law.

Sorry to say, but Endus isn't some cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I can do that in regulated spaces. It's just a matter of allowing nicknames, which goes to my point what's the positive of having sites as unregulated as 4chan?
    You can, others may not be so fortunate depending on where they live. A gay rights activist from an anti homosexual nation, for example. There's also a ton of regulation on 4chan, I don't think a completely unregulated space exists anywhere except on the dark web.

For the moment, pure anonymity is enough but I'm not convinced the pinnacle.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2016-10-14 at 04:08 PM. Reason: remove religious ties
    I am the lucid dream

You can, others may not be so fortunate depending on where they live. A gay rights activist from an anti homosexual nation, for example. There's also a ton of regulation on 4chan, I don't think a completely unregulated space exists anywhere except on the dark web.

For the moment, pure anonymity is enough but I'm not convinced the pinnacle.
    If our standards of policy are limited to some guy in another place in the world might be affected by it, then we are not moving anywhere. Yes it would be regrettable for that gay activist, but aside from those cases I don't see how having unregulated internet is somehow positive.

If we were to regulate it, we would be able to do away with piracy, cases of doxxing would decrease along side terrorist propaganda,online fraud schemes, email spamming and plagiarism. As for that gay activist we can bring him to our nation from which he can continue to do his online activism.