Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

[7.3] The Arms Compendium

Hello!

The Arms Compendium is a mainly a Google docs created to gather a lot of the information about Arms in one place.

This is a comprehensive guide, it should give you all the information you need to excel at playing Arms. This guide assumes you have a basic understanding of Arms and your abilities. If you are new to playing the class, you should check out a more beginner-friendly guide at Wowhead as that goes more in-depth about what your spells does.

The Arms Compendium started as a little pet project in early October 2016, by Vel & Tizank. At the time, Arms was missing a clear, comprehensive, and easy to read guide which led to a lot of repeat questions on Discord and no where to send people. Now, almost a year later, it has turned into an amazing collaborative effort by some great people. Special thanks to Archimtiros, Corejo, Ryzoh, Warriorsarri and Marok. I also want to thank everyone else who has contributed, both to writing, improving and generally helping me out with sims, finding errors and making suggestions. I’d also like to thank several other guidewriters for inspiration to this guide. Mainly Gebuz and his amazing Balance Druid Guide.

If you haven’t done so already, I would strongly recommend joining the Warrior Discord - Skyhold, easy access for help, questions, log feedback, and much more. If you wish to contribute any ideas, or feedback to the Compendium, please direct message me on Discord at Vel#2944 or Twitter at VelodyEU.

As Google Docs can be a little bit laggy, I've decided to show the main points of the guide here. Please keep in mind that the Google Docs will have more details and better formatting. I'll try to keep this post as up to date as the google docs, but it might lag behind a tad.

LAST UPDATED: 13. September 2017

Disclaimer: You should be aware that things do change with gear, so some things might be inconsistent with your character, and as such if you want to do your absolute best you should always sim yourself. This guide is also subject to human error, and might require you to apply some logicial thinking.

Talents
    Spoiler: 

Talent Build Cheat Sheets
    f you’re looking for Tomb of Sargeras talents, I would either recommend checking out this cheat sheet or using Warcraftlogs to check top logs. (Please keep in mind that boss strategies, raid setups, and gear might impact certain choices)
    Spoiler: 

Example Mythic+ Build
    Spoiler: 

Stick with Double Time unless your group wants/needs Shockwave. As such, Shockwave is recommended for a few affixes (such as necrotic), or if you are doing higher keys.
    Bounding Stride is an all around good mobility talent, however if you are doing high keys you should consider Defensive Stance. Arms is a bit lacking in the defensives department, and this talent solves that. Keep in mind that both Avatar and Trauma work. Avatar is a bit more controlled, and therefore helps you more on the hard packs where you need the extra burst.

Example Single Target Build
    Spoiler: 

This is just an example of a decent ST build. You might benefit more from going Trauma/Fervor of Battle, or from going Ravager. This all depends on YOUR GEAR. In ToS, Rend excels on 1-2 targets and Titanic Might really helps with the frustrating tactician rng arms experience.

Example Cleave/AoE Build
    Spoiler: 

Sweeping Strikes is an excellent talent in any cleave situation, and as such it is great in ToS and M+. Titanic Might is excellent in combination with Warbreaker or Weight of the Earth for AoE, or cleave if you spread your CS. Trauma is the clear, consistent aoe pick, while Avatar is amazing for the burst aoe. Rend can be very competitive on 2 target cleave.

Notable Talents
    Spoiler: 

Trauma | Rend | Avatar
    Spoiler: 

This is probably the row of talents you’ll swap around the most. Rend is a very good choice for a lot of the ToS fights, but it does fall behind in mythic+. You can possibly make it work in dungeons with a lot of bosses, and not a lot of trash (For example Upper Karazhan) on tyrannical weeks. The rage cost and short duration of Rend makes it difficult to keep up on more than 2 targets.

Avatar is a good choice for the mythic+ dungeons though. It offers more on-demand controllable burst than Trauma. As such it can really help you on the hard packs as an additional cooldown, or on the hard bosses as a cooldown combination with Bloodlust. It also synergizes well with some on-use aoe trinkets like Umbral Moonglaives from Sisters.

Trauma is also a very good choice in general. It’s strong on aoe fights like Desolate Host or Harjatan, and in mythic+. It is a more passive choice, and requires less thought than Avatar.

If you look at Warcraftlogs for all the different fights, you’ll see all 3 talents are relatively similar and excel at different things.

Fervor of Battle | Titanic Might
    Spoiler: 

The biggest misinterpretation here is that FoB is an aoe talent, however it ONLY increases damage done to your main target. As such, it’s a single target dps increase, and makes you replace Slam in your standard rotation with Whirlwind. It has decent synergy with Trauma also. It is not the best choice for ST currently, but that might change in the future with the t21 bonuses. FoB is an excellent choice for leveling or outdoors content like world quests.

Titanic Might is an incredibly strong talent for cleave and aoe sitations, and it offers great quality of life improvements on single target. It decreases CS cooldown and increases duration, which means you get a 100% uptime on CS on 1 target. It also means you get an increased uptime on AoE from sources like Warbreaker or Weight of the Earth.

In For The Kill | Focused Rage
    The default choice here is always IftK. The 10% haste buff is a multiplier (like almost every haste buff) which means you gain 1.X*1.1 haste, where X is your haste. For example, if I have 15% haste, I’d get 1.15*1.1=1.265 which means I’d have 26.5% haste with the buff. The main thing with haste is getting enough to fit your whole Bladestorm or Ravager in your Battle Cry windows. To achieve that, you’ll need 20% haste (to reduce the duration), which means you’ll at the least want 9.1% haste. (This is all assuming t20 4p)

Focused Rage also has its moments, which is mainly when you require high on-demand burst. In ToS, that is mainly used on Mythic Kil’Jaeden for the add damage burst. If you do look at logs however, this is not needed but it is a good option if your raid composition requires it.

Ravager | Opportunity Strikes
    Spoiler: 

Ravager is an extremely strong talent with tier 20 bonuses, Convergence of Fates (Trinket from Elisande) and legendary head - The Great Storm’s Eye. The 2p bonus reduces your Bladestorm (or Ravager) cooldown when you use CS, and CoF has a chance to reduce Battle Cry cooldown. Combining these things means you can line up BC/Ravager. Another thing with Ravager is that you can make your SD affect two Mortal Strikes by casting it within ~0.5s of the 4p casted one. You can do this by using Ravager first and then popping BC -> MS roughly half a global cooldown later. This is excellent for a majority of ToS’ fights.

Opportunity Strikes tends to be the safe choice, and it’s excellent for fights with a lot of movement where placing Ravager can be hard (such as Mistress or even Sisters) or on fights where it has a hard time actually hitting the boss (like first phase of Avatar). It is still a good pick for a lot of fights, just looking at Warcraftlogs now for mythic fights, at the time I’m writing this OpS is picked in top 10 for 5 out of 9 fights on Mythic, and 4 out of 9 on Heroic.

Basically, I would recommend playing around with Ravager if you have the tools to make it work (CoF, t20 2p) and getting used to it with a cursor macro.

Rotation
    Spoiler: 

CD rotation & Opener
    Spoiler: 
    As always, you start the fight with Charge.
    1. Colossus Smash
    - This is to put your main reset ability on cooldown, and as Rend costs rage, it might reset it with Tactician.
    2. Rend (If you have it talented)
    3. Battle Cry
    - If you have 4p, this depends on if you have Bladestorm or Ravager. With Bladestorm, you should use it macroed with Battle Cry. With Ravager, you should use BC roughly half a GCD after Ravager and then continue your standard rotation.
    - Without 4p you BC and continue your standard rotation.

Standard Rotation/Priority List:
    Spoiler: 

1. Colossus Smash if no Shattered Defenses buff
    2. Rend if not applied (and talented)
    3. Execute if Ayala’s Stone Heart proc
    4. Mortal Strike if SD buff
    5. Overpower if talented
    6. Mortal Strike if zero Executioner’s Precision debuffs
    7. Rend if <2.4s remaining on debuff
    8. Slam (Or Whirlwind if FoB talented)

Basically, you maintain Rend (if talented) while prioritizing using CS and consuming your SDs. Unless you have Executioner’s Precision debuffs (which you save for next SD), you use MS on cooldown.

Execute Rotation/Priority List:
    Spoiler: 

1. Mortal Strike if you have x2 Executioner’s Precision and Shattered Defenses
    2. Colossus Smash if no SD
    3. Overpower if talented, and not going to ragecap
    4. Execute

Keep in mind that you still use Rend before Battle Cries even in Execute. You don’t maintain it outside of that.

AoE Notes | Rav/BS Notes | Tips & Tricks
    Spoiler: 

AoE Notes
    There is a million factors to consider in an aoe situation for Arms. The basics here is, do you go for sustained aoe or burst aoe? For sustained damage, you would ideally look at Damage Per Rage (DPR), while for burst you look for the highest damage output. There’s also things to consider like SS, how many targets got CS, EP, what legendaries do you have equipped and so on. There’s no rotation that is correct in every aoe situation. This just means

Basically, you can use Cleave before Whirlwinds on 2 or more targets while still prioritizing CS/MS.
    On 8+ targets you should prioritize Cleave/WW over standard rotation.
    Keep in mind that a Cleave/WW rotation is hard to sustain (in terms of rage) so you will most likely still be filling globals with CS/MS.

Ravager / Bladestorm use
    Perfecting your Rav/BS usage is vital to maximizing your damage output. With t20 4p, it’s quite simple on ST to just line them up with eachother. On AoE you might have to delay it at times though. I recommend looking at logs and practicing when to use it.
    Ravager is ideally used roughly half a global cooldown before Battle Cry, as it doesn’t hit immediately and you can get the SD to affect both Mortal Strikes if you time it right.
    Combining Ravager and Convergence of Fates (From Elisande) means Ravager and BC lines up better. CoF reduces BC cd, while t20 2p reduces Ravager cd, combining these makes the cooldowns align better.

Tips & Tricks:
    - Use WB on the GCD before an MS comes off cooldown if you don’t have SD.
    - WB procs IftK so you can use it to keep the buff up.
    - Run out and Charge back in when MS and CS are on cooldown, you have low rage, and you've just swung (Get a swing timer WeakAura or use Quartz).
    - Check out the Tomb of Sargeras Cheat Sheet for more fight specific tips!

Artifact
    Spoiler: 

Artifact Path
    Spoiler: 

Path to 35

After 35 traits, go for 4th golden trait (Executioner’s Precision) as fast as possible, then Precise Strikes/Exploit the Weakness into Deathblow/Crushing Blow before moving into Unending Rage/Many Will Fall/One Against Many. The exact order makes a minimal difference.

Netherlight Crucible & Relics
    Spoiler: 
    Ilvl is good for arms, however there’s a few traits that are better. You should always sim the non-obvious new relics for your own character. I would recommend using Raidbots for this.

Netherlight Cruicible
    This is the new Relic customization tool introduced in 7.3. If you are looking for a guide on how this works, I would suggest you check out Archimtiros’ guide HERE. I would also STRONGLY recommend using the Raidbots Relic Tool for this, it’s an amazing, user-friendly tool.

Stats and Stat Priority
    Spoiler: 

Stat Priority:
    Stat priorities vary a lot depending on your gear. The only “cap” you need as arms is 20% (10% with IftK) to fit the whole BS in BC. The rest of the stats are incredibly close, with Mastery usually ahead. You should also note that haste effects like IftK are multipliers, and not a flat +10% haste. That means they increase haste by (1.x * 1.1) where x is your current haste %. I’m only stating 10% with IftK to have some margin of error (latency delays and general human errors)

A general stat priority is:
    Without tier 20 4p: Mastery > Haste > Versatility = Strength >= Critical Strike
    With tier 20 4p: 20% Haste (10% with IftK) > Mastery > Haste >= Strength = Versatility > Critical Strike

Stats are very dynamic depending on gear, talents, relics etc, so you should always sim for yourself if you want stat weights/priorities! This is just a rough guideline.
    It is advisable that you always sim yourself as stat priorities change depending on your gear, talents, etc. If you are unsure of simming stat weights, I would recommend using Raidbots to do so.

Trinkets | Legendaries | Consumables
    Spoiler: 

Trinkets
    Spoiler: 
    If you’re looking for a quick comparison of trinkets for Arms, I would recommend checking out Bloodmallet’s trinket comparison tool. It’s quite good, but it is obviously highly recommended that you sim things for your own character as gear, legendaries and so on does have an impact. I highly recommend you use Raidbots for this.

Legendaries
    Spoiler: 

The Google Docs has the longer explaining of each legendary. As things change with gear, whatever list I show would have its errors. ALWAYS SIM FOR YOUR OWN NEEDS AS THINGS CHANGE WITH GEAR.
    Tl;dr Legendary list
    Spoiler: 

OVERALL GREAT
    [Archavon’s Heavy Hand] - All around good legendary, fallen from the top with t20, will likely be back in top 2 for tier 21
    [Ayala’s Stone Heart] - Amazing legendary, even post-nerf. Used in almost every situation.
    [The Great Storm’s Eye] - Great synergy with t20, good stats and all around decent legendary.

SITUATIONALLY GREAT
    [Kil’Jaeden’s Burning Wish] - Affected by CS, so has potential to be amazing for burst aoe.
    [The Weight of the Earth] - Strong for on demand CS, especially in AoE situtations.

SITUATIONALLY OKAY:
    [Aggramar’s Stride] - Ok stats, ok equip. Works with Battle Cry for sprint.
    [Mannoroth’s Bloodletting Manacles] - Decent survivability, decent stats. Pretty much another stat stick legendary.
    [Naj’entus’s Vertebrae] - Okay for constant AoE.
    [Prydaz, Xavaric’s Magnum Opus] - Great stat stick, great survivability. Strong when the shield is needed, which could either be progress bosses or high m+ keys.
    [Rethu’s Incessant Courage] - Decent stat stick, but nothing amazing.
    [Timeless Stratagem] - Decent stat stick again, the use helps with corpse runs or if you run low level content.. Could also be fights in the future where this kind of mobility is useful.
    [Sephuz’s Secret] - It’s ok if you can reliably get the proc. Procs from Charge root, and as such it’s easy to pop in dungeons. It’s weak in terms of stats.
    [Soul of the Battlelord] - Gives Deadly Calm, which means you can go back to Focused Rage. Bit of a different playstyle, but not the worst legendary to get.

Consumables
    Spoiler: 

Gems
    Spoiler: 

Use [Masterful Argulite] for +200 mastery.

Enchants
    Spoiler: 

Cloak - [Enchant Cloak - Binding of Strength]
    Rings - [Enchant Ring - Binding of Mastery]
    Neck - [Enchant Neck - Mark of the Trained Soldier]

All neck enchants are reasonably close. Trained Soldier is the recommended choice due to the aoe gain aswell.

Food | Flasks | Potions
    Spoiler: 

Flask - [Flask of Countless Armies]
    Food - [Lavish Suramar Feast] is the recommended food. This is generally best for ST, and for AoE. The difference between foods is rather insignificant though, so [Nightborne Delicacy Platter] is a good alternative if your guild does not provide feasts.
    Potion - [Potion of the Old War] is the best choice for maximizing ST. Using Prolonged Power in execute, especially with Trauma build, is quite good. Prolonged Power is also the go-to pot for cleave/AoE situations.

Last edited by Velinn; 2017-09-20 at 01:59 AM.

thank you and everboy who contributed very very much!

Time out....were only stacking FR for one stack and using Slam instead? Isn't it easier to fish for procs with FR? And I feel like whenever I slam under 70 rage I starve myself.
    Last edited by Kahmal; 2016-10-15 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    Time out....were only stacking FR for one stack and using Slam instead? Isn't it easier to fish for procs with FR? And I feel like whenever I slam under 70 rage I starve myself.
    Only one FR after a Tact proc yes. Doesn't really matter how you fish for tact procs when you're using the same amount of rage, but Slam got a much higher DPR than FR, so that's the most damage efficient way of doing it.

so basically we never go for 3 fr stacks? just one fr and then spam slam? until MS goes of cd or we get a proc?

Basically, you'd only get a x3 FR stack during BC yeah. And don't "spam" slam, you'd want to use it above 32 rage, you don't have to fill every gcd

Quote Originally Posted by Velinn View Post
    Basically, you'd only get a x3 FR stack during BC yeah. And don't "spam" slam, you'd want to use it above 32 rage, you don't have to fill every gcd
    does this change with the leg gloves rngesus blessed me with them

Yeah, it does. The gloves allows you to spam FR as much as you can basically

Yeah, it does. The gloves allows you to spam FR as much as you can basically
    ok so i can fr for more than one stack maybe 2 then slam? as long as im above 32 rage right

If you have gloves honestly, you can do whatever you like. Obviously you should prioritize Slam over FR if you're low on rage, but most of the time you'll be struggling to not rage cap.

With gloves you can basically weave 3 FR's in between 3 Slam before MS comes off cooldown, IF you don't get a Tactician Proc.
    Spriest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

This site says that you should not delay BC more than 1-2 GCD for a CS proc. Is that really optimal? If I BC and CS isn't up then the damage is so low. Alternatively, if CS procs and BC has maybe 2-3 GCD's left until its up, do I save CS or hope to god I get another proc?

Only one FR after a Tact proc yes. Doesn't really matter how you fish for tact procs when you're using the same amount of rage, but Slam got a much higher DPR than FR, so that's the most damage efficient way of doing it.
    What if CS on cd and no CS debuff on target? It's not reliable but it seems like it would be worth using FR over Slam there in case CS pops before you have to use the stacks, allowing you to delay damage from rage spent until CS debuff is back up. Not sure, haven't had a chance to mess around with the apl recently.

Quote Originally Posted by xmr1 View Post
    What if CS on cd and no CS debuff on target? It's not reliable but it seems like it would be worth using FR over Slam there in case CS pops before you have to use the stacks, allowing you to delay damage from rage spent until CS debuff is back up. Not sure, haven't had a chance to mess around with the apl recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by figglesfiggles View Post
    This site says that you should not delay BC more than 1-2 GCD for a CS proc. Is that really optimal? If I BC and CS isn't up then the damage is so low. Alternatively, if CS procs and BC has maybe 2-3 GCD's left until its up, do I save CS or hope to god I get another proc?

Using BC is the best way to get tactician procs. And either way, every second you delay BC is a second anger management is useless. If you use CS 2-3 gcds before BC is up, that's fine. CS debuff is 8 seconds long and BC only lasts 5 seconds, you'd have it up the whole duration.

This is fantastic thank you, I have been playing poorly.

Bufffood?
    Icy-veins says take 375 mastery, here you say to use that dmg proc food.
    Nightborne Delicacy Platter vs Fishbrul Special. Which one is it now?

Icy Veins hasn't been updated for a while. Fishbrul Special sims higher than the mastery food, so I would recommend using that

Using BC is the best way to get tactician procs. And either way, every second you delay BC is a second anger management is useless. If you use CS 2-3 gcds before BC is up, that's fine. CS debuff is 8 seconds long and BC only lasts 5 seconds, you'd have it up the whole duration.
    I meant with BC on cd, CS on cd, CS debuff not on target. What makes Slam better than FR to fish for a Tactician proc in that specific scenario? I would think the potential damage gain of FR when you successfully fish for a proc would be worth the DPR loss when you don't but maybe not.

I wouldn't say it's worth the loss. FR with no CS debuff has an extremely low DPR, even compared to Slam without CS. You should refer to this spreadsheet by Dont if you are curious about the DPR.

When you talk about FR vs Slam, what you need to keep in mind is FR stores the damage, the DPR isn't applied when you cast it but when you drop it off.
    FR's DPR is higher in CS+SD than Slam's without them. You would want to stack to 3 before slamming.

When you then proc Tactician with slam, while youre already at 3 stacks all you'd do is MS all the stored higher DPR gcds out. Narrow window but has a high chance of occuring at 2-3 stacks.