Page 1 of 3
LastLast

CIA reportedly planning for a 'cyber strike' against Russia

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...russia-n666636

I'm thinking the politicians in Washington don't understand the nature of cyber espionage, like the 'covert' part of the whole business. Has the ruling party of this country lost its mind?

Current and former officials with direct knowledge of the situation say the CIA has been asked to deliver options to the White House for a wide-ranging "clandestine" cyber operation designed to harass and "embarrass" the Kremlin leadership.
    Yeah, they also need to look up the definition of 'clandestine'
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    lol

/10char

They also put us at defcon 3 today. Russia also sent out its nuclear equipped sub today.

Yes we would know what CIA is supposedly up to on a mmo forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Yes we would know what CIA is supposedly up to on a mmo forum.
    The point is not what we know, its that they are plastering this story on the front of the NBC news site.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame to be "that guy" who told everyone they knew it was going to happen.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    They also put us at defcon 3 today. Russia also sent out its nuclear equipped sub today.
    Who is "They" exactly? Are you talking about the defconwarningsystem site? That is not affiliated with the government. The military DEFCON level is kept secret.

We are going to shut down the Russkie Standard plant.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's about damn time.

Any serious plan wouldn't be reported

Elect Hillary for the sake of peace and stability

leave russia alone , whats wrong with america attacking people and publicly announcing it thinking this justifies an attack .. gj destroying the planet guys keep it up ..

IT's about time we started fighting back when it comes to cyber-security. China and other players have been fucking with us for years, and outside of our ingenious cyber attacks on Iran's nuclear program a few years ago, we've been on the losing end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prothynyas View Post
    leave russia alone , whats wrong with america attacking people and publicly announcing it thinking this justifies an attack .. gj destroying the planet guys keep it up ..
    Maybe you can pass this message to china and Russia.

You started it, now we will finish it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    May I have a link to where you found the DEFCON alert?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    IT's about time we started fighting back when it comes to cyber-security. China and other players have been fucking with us for years, and outside of our ingenious cyber attacks on Iran's nuclear program a few years ago, we've been on the losing end.
    I always think it's funny that people think we're not. Both Russia and China have state-controlled media. They don't put out stories they don't want their people to know about. Russia gets hacked? They're not going to tell anyone, it makes them look foolish. China gets hacked? They're not going to tell anyone, it makes them look foolish. The USA gets hacked? Some piss-ant security "analyst" who wants a book deal goes running to the nearest media outlet, who then acts like our enemies just got control of our nukes.

The CIA isn't announcing that they're going to make a "cyber attack", that'd be moronic. Which is exactly who reported this: a moron. If the CIA is planning an attack, they've either A: already done it, or B: not going to do it at all. If it's "A" we're (Americans) not going to hear about it because neither Russia nor China will allow the news to get out. If it's "B" then the purpose of the exercise is to fuck with our enemies minds, so that if we do see a news story about it that will most likely read: "Russian/Chinese Intelligence thwarts US-backed cyber attack!" then we'll know they're full of shit because we actually didn't do anything at all.

Will we hear about "A"? Of course not. The CIA isn't going to report that, they never do and our enemies won't report it either. Will you and I hear about "B"? Hell no! All we'll hear is that RT is reporting what the Kremlin wants them to report. Russia/China doesn't work like we do. They don't put up with shitheads leaking intelligence, we do and we use that.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Naah, I think most of her votes are simply because she's not Trump.
    If the GOP had any other candidate, she wouldn't have stood a chance.
    God thats even scarier than the nukes. Ted Cruz is more electable.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Any serious plan wouldn't be reported
    This guy gets it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    God thats even scarier than the nukes. Ted Cruz is more electable.
    Ted Cruz is the Zodiac killer..... and a complete nut. I am glad he lost as I think he became the worst kind of person when he got into office... before that he was considered a very respectable lawyer.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Hillary or Anderson Cooper pointed out during the debates, announcing an attack like this is a strategic call to allies that are difficult to contact otherwise. What they did here, is pretty much tell every hacker to hit Russia, because US government needs a cover for their actions. If cyber war is to be related to conventional war, they just told partisans to begin to attack.

For Trump folks: The astablishment just called on 400 pounders that might have hacked Hillary on their mom's beds to attack Russia.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    May I have a link to where you found the DEFCON alert?
    I have little doubt the extent of his research was reading Drudge Report, which is somehow getting to be more garbage with each passing day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Who is "They" exactly? Are you talking about the defconwarningsystem site? That is not affiliated with the government. The military DEFCON level is kept secret.
    Oh come on, I was trying to get him to say more funny. Don't just drop the answer in his lap, let him figure it out. Lead him to it, that way he won't be thirsty for a lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    I have little doubt the extent of his research was reading Drudge Report, which is somehow getting to be more garbage with each passing day.
    Oh, I know, I was just trying to have him figure it out, instead of telling him he is wrong. I've found that people are more receptive to being wrong, when you don't tell them they are, but lay out the path for them to realize they are.

Stupid work...