Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

McCain Claiming GOP Will Block any Clinton Supreme Court Nominee

From: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...court-blockade

. . . Those talking points, however, were written when Republicans were still confident they’d control the White House in 2017. Now that the GOP is feeling pessimistic, those attitudes are starting to change. CNN reports today, for example, on Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) comments during a radio interview this morning in Philadelphia.
    McCain promised that Republicans would be “united against any Supreme Court nominee” put forth by Clinton.

“I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up,” McCain said. “I promise you….”
    The radicalism of such a posture is hard to overstate. McCain is effectively vowing to leave his party’s Supreme Court blockade in place indefinitely – through 2020, at a minimum – regardless of whom the American electorate chooses, regardless of the qualifications of the president’s nominee. . . .
    What the holy hell fuck?

To Mods: Could you change "and" in the title of thread to "any"?

So...more of the crybaby obstructionism that they're engaged in right now?

Are we supposed to believe they're even attempting to do their jobs or act like adults?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah read about this already. Absolutely retarded. Fucking obstructionism plain and simple

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I understand that sometimes you need to apply pressure to engage in the political game, but this isn't that, this is straight-up refusing to execute your sworn duties as a member of Congress.

That should be legally actionable in some manner.

To Mods: Could you change "and" in the title of thread to "any"?
    Done.

So there will be no appointments to the supreme court for 8 years? And it won't be based on anything other than its someone Clinton picked? I really expected more from McCain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep my wife was just telling me about this earlier.

Not surprising in the least, the right wing in this country offers nothing but disappointment and harm for US citizens. It's disgusting.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So there will be no appointments to the supreme court for 8 years? And it won't be based on anything other than its someone Clinton picked? I really expected more from McCain.
    At this point, I almost hope that they do delay it 2 more years, and then lose Congress, and watch as the Democrats push through a suite of highly-liberal judges, rather than the moderates they could've had if they'd played ball.

If the Clinton nominee is legitimately garbage and won't respect the Bill of Rights in their entirety, then good. If they're doing it for the sake of being obstructionist, then forget them.

10+ Year Old Account
    They just did it to Obama (despite Scalia himself being very clear on the subject that in these circumstances the justice should still be replaced immediately), people were dreaming if they thought the right wing nutjobs would suddenly start doing what's in the best interested of US citizens after the election.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netscape View Post
    If the Clinton nominee is legitimately garbage and won't respect the Bill of Rights in their entirety, then good. If they're doing it for the sake of being obstructionist, then forget them.
    That's just it. McCain's saying they'd do this regardless of the candidate's qualifications. Just "Clinton nominated anyone? Vote 'NO'".

Nobody's saying that the Republicans should be made to vote a certain way. But they ARE obliged to be doing their elected duties, and filling SCOTUS positions is one of those things.

Garland, for instance, is highly regarded and moderate if not somewhat right-leaning. There's no reason to oppose him, on his record, and the only reason they had to do so was "Obama nominated him".

Considering the GOP talking point any time SCOTUS makes a decision that they don't like is "unelected activist judges ignoring the Constitution!!!" why should anyone trust their judgement on what does or does not respect the Bill of Rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to argue that they're just being judicious in their selection when they say "we will bock anyone" before Clinton is even in a position to put a possible name on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's just it. McCain's saying they'd do this regardless of the candidate's qualifications. Just "Clinton nominated anyone? Vote 'NO'".

Nobody's saying that the Republicans should be made to vote a certain way. But they ARE obliged to be doing their elected duties, and filling SCOTUS positions is one of those things.

Garland, for instance, is highly regarded and moderate if not somewhat right-leaning. There's no reason to oppose him, on his record, and the only reason they had to do so was "Obama nominated him".
    In that case, yeah, they're just shitheels.

Basically the matra of the GOP over the past 8 years and apparently continuing on moving forward is, "If we don't get our way we'll throw a temper tantrum and prevent anything from getting done!"

Stellar leadership there.

So 8 justices are going to be the Supreme Court's new thing?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And this doesn't include the 2-4 more they expect to lose during the next 8 years. At least fivethirtyeight.com has a decent percentage chance of the DNC taking the Senate back.

I had expected more from McCain, however - no more of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    So 8 justices are going to be the Supreme Court's new thing?
    It is if the GOP gets their way.

Of course it works out for them, they can slip their backwards social agendas in at the state levels where they still have control and in that way continue to harm as many US citizens as possible.

So yeah, win / win for the right wingers.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They are doing it for the second reason. Most of those right-wing-nut-jobs have made it abundantly clear they have never read the Bill of Rights, or the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So...more of the crybaby obstructionism that they're engaged in right now?

Are we supposed to believe they're even attempting to do their jobs or act like adults?
    Can't have it your way, then throw a tantrum until people give in to your will.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What the holy hell fuck?
    How is this surprising? They have been doing this same shit since Obama got in office. Hopefully this will help shine a light on how destructive to our country our own government has become (and no, it's not just the conservatives).
    What is more likely though, is that they will make up another scandal about her to disguise their own refusal to do what they were "elected" to do. People will eat that shit up, and the veil will be set yet again.

Clinton is a disgusting human being, but at some point the witch hunts just become childish.