Thread: Diablo 4

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Well I would not count on the skill and rune system going away, however you probably will see way more skills/runes per class. Also those tomes were limited, once you ran out that was it.
    Path of Exile has skill respec items (unlimited), respec tomes (limited) and full free respec every 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Personalily speaking, my dream would be for Blizzard to make a Diablo MMO that is more or less the gameplay of Burning Crusade Era World of Warcraft but with Path of Exile/Diablo 2 systems.

I like 2nd wave MMORPGS such as World of Warcraft but I always disliked WOW's aesthetic, lore, structure, etc. Something between Marvel Heroes 2016 and The Old Republic would be perfect for the Diablo franchise for me.

I am not saying this a realistic or possible direction for Diablo. Though I have personally wanted a Diablo MMO since the original Diablo 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk fencers, replaying some of the TBC content i can tell you that dps was hella boring on some specs, i feel that what blizz has done over the year with SOME specs is way better than what we had back then.

Now back to the main topic... about diablo 4, if it is as cartoony as diablo 3 was im gonna go nope out of it.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    The 11 year wait is irrelevant. They took that long because they made a D3 at Blizzard North, that was rejected by Vivendi, and then Blizzard North shut down when the key developers left because of that, and the series was turned over to the Irvine group. That ate up 3-4 years. Then, they tried again internally in Irvine - and that was scrapped as well, and rebooted into what they released. The development history of the game is not "business as usual" and shouldn't be used as a template for expectations for the future.

It's the same as when people bellow "Diablo II only got one expansion, D3 will only get one!". The developers of D2 have stated in many interviews, they wanted to do another expansion, but decided to try for D3 instead - which failed.

Nobody knows what their plans for the franchise are - but basing it on "D3 took 11 years" with no comprehension of WHY it took 11 years is laughably wrong.
    Let's just get this out of the way: Diablo III did not "fail". It received a lot of amazing reviews, broke numerous presale records, was the most ordered PC game to date on Amazon, and sold over 3.5 million units in the first day alone. I then reached 6.3 million in the first week (including the 1.2 million WoW yearly subs), and is one of the best selling PC games even now. By the end of 2012 they sold over 12 million copies! As of the end of June last year? It and Reaper have sold over a combined 30 million copies.

Does this, in any way, shape, or form sound like failure to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Class balance in BC era wasn't exactly great either but that's another matter. It's probably an expansion or a glorified Patch >.>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Let's just get this out of the way: Diablo III did not "fail". It received a lot of amazing reviews, broke numerous presale records, was the most ordered PC game to date on Amazon, and sold over 3.5 million units in the first day alone. I then reached 6.3 million in the first week (including the 1.2 million WoW yearly subs), and is one of the best selling PC games even now. By the end of 2012 they sold over 12 million copies! As of the end of June last year? It and Reaper have sold over a combined 30 million copies.

No but it did use the success and the legacy of diablo 2 to sell an almost entirely different game that only shared a genere and universe with the previous game. release diablo 3 as a game without the diablo name and it would not have done as well. Diablo 3 came out when blizzard was shitting out gold and people would have played anything they released and gobbled it up. I cant tell you how many people i know only got d3 cus they herd diablo was a good game series and just got the newest one and have no idea how the previous games are.

It may not have failed in sales, but it failed as a sequal and the carrier of the legacy diablo 2 had.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    It may not have failed in sales, but it failed as a sequal and the carrier of the legacy diablo 2 had.
    BAM. Nothing else needs to be said.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexh View Post
    First up was YouTuber Rhykker, who took a look at the Blizzcon 2016 goodie bag, which includes a full set of Diablo-themed dice. A normal four-sided die has four sides of three numbers each and when the die lies flat, the same number should be on the bottom. For the D4 in the Diablo set, one side reads 1-1-4, thus making the dice unusable. Rhykker and others believe this D4 is representative of "Diablo 4" with the 1-1-4 representing November 4, which is when Blizzcon 2016 begins.

Second came the tweets from former Diablo developers David Brevik and Bill Roper. The first set of tweets involved Bervik noting that he was visiting the Blizzard offices on October 6, and Bill Roper doing the same a day later.

"For 20 years, Diablo-like games have evolved and surprised us. I'm proud to be the adviser for the game that pushes this genre to new heights," Brevik tweeted on October 15.

Brevik founded Blizzard North, becoming the senior designer behind Diablo and the project lead for Diablo II. Bill Roper is a Blizzard veteran who was the producer on the first Diablo and a senior producer on Diablo II. Both men could be brought in to advise on a remaster of the older Diablo titles, but Brevik's later tweet seems to point towards a brand new title in the series.

Blizzard was also hiring for a game director for an unannounced Diablo project this summer. The original listing wanted someone who would "lead the Diablo series into the future". This would point to a development announcement, not a full gameplay one.

So there could be new Diablo coming in some form, whether that's a sequel or another expansion for Diablo III. You looking forward to it?

Source: usgamer.net (cant post links)
    Whatever may be next for the diablo world I'm looking forward to it.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

in the process tarnishing both a product and a brand. D3 was a financial success, but as a product it was an overwhelming flop.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still love even hellgate london despite its lack of support. it was a great idea that died to young.
    Oh man that game was great! I had a lot of fun playing it!

I don't really understand all this forced hype around D4. Some points of my thoughts that have no relation to the product quality of various Diablo games and how they represented the legacy. They have no order/inbetween connection unless specified. Just food for thoughts basically.

- if a D4 is in the works, it will be very long before seeing it. Also, 99% it's not going to be announced at Blizzcon.

- Last year job postings involve knowledge of graphic engines that have no place in current diablo games; very likely something new is on the pipeline.

- i don't see how a D2 clone would make better than D3 nowadays; games have changed and players have changed and Blizzard is first of all a business.

- i also don't see how Blizzard will make a D2 clone as next Diablo game; this both given point above and direction Blizzard is following with their games

- i remeber a Metzen interview (sorry don't have link; my memory can be at fault here) where he stated that Diablo was meant as a trilogy. However plans can change and new games are not excluded, especially with the cliffhanger end of RoS.

To me, the entire D4 thing is totally bogus. We have no clue, no source, nothing. People putting their hopes into Blizzard making D4butohnoit'sD2HD imho have their aim completely out of the target. Especially expecting Blizzard launching a new ARPG to actively kill another of their products.

Again, i mostly agree with a lot of stuff that has ben said (mainly d2 being a "true diablo" and d3 failing on that regard); i can also be completely wrong and the 4th of November we all get D4 release date.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Diablo 3 got mostly fixed in Reaper of Souls. If anything Brevick is probably working on Torchlight 3(The game is fun but the art style is not to my liking).
    I kinda lost hope for Torchlight 3 why? No news for long time from devs who worked on previous games, only community with mods is still active.

As for D4. Idk let's see what blizz will bring.

For its time it was an amazing game. Iv loaded it up as recently as last year and powered through it. I think a modern version of it could go far.
    Such an underrated game even though it was far from finished...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to blizzard north and Diablo 2 it's the reason why it pre sold so well, the game was so hyped due to success.

Didn't like 70% of the people stopped playing after a week or two ?

Quote Originally Posted by mehow2g View Post
    S

Thanks to blizzard north and Diablo 2 it's the reason why it pre sold so well, the game was so hyped due to success.

Didn't like 70% of the people stopped playing after a week or two ?
    That wouldn't explain the sales of RoS, also given how 2 years of Vanilla D3 have been more or less dreadful for everyone.

Also: as i said on previous post games and gamers are changed. 70% (fictional number) of people stopped playing as soon they finished the main story and didn't even try to farm/progress the character like you did in D2. Every season sees a spike that lasts for a very short time because it simply is how much it takes to do stuff.

The biggest issues of D3 are it's extremely short lifespan and total absence of meaningful goals during and between seasons; the whole itemization system revolving on sets that define builds; Paragon not being anything close to a meaningful endgame progression.

I'm not saying D3 > D2, nor D2 > D3 because i just feel they're two completely different games for two completely different playerbases. In terms of "legacy" and withstanding the Diablo name, we all agree that D3 pretty much failed. but there are a lot more aspects where the game has been good at least from Blizzard standpoint and we're not the ones to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    That wouldn't explain the sales of RoS, also given how 2 years of Vanilla D3 have been more or less dreadful for everyone.

Also: as i said on previous post games and gamers are changed. 70% (fictional number) of people stopped playing as soon they finished the main story and didn't even try to farm/progress the character like you did in D2. Every season sees a spike that lasts for a very short time because it simply is how much it takes to do stuff.

The biggest issues of D3 are it's extremely short lifespan and total absence of meaningful goals during and between seasons; the whole itemization system revolving on sets that define builds; Paragon not being anything close to a meaningful endgame progression.

I'm not saying D3 > D2, nor D2 > D3 because i just feel they're two completely different games for two completely different playerbases. In terms of "legacy" and withstanding the Diablo name, we all agree that D3 pretty much failed. but there are a lot more aspects where the game has been good at least from Blizzard standpoint and we're not the ones to decide.
    Id love to see server stats for d2 for the past 16 years. I know leading up 2 and even after d2 had a huge population and it still does. New ladder seasons on d2 every few months. D2jsp [ the auction house diablo should have had] is still hoppin.

Id love to see server stats for d2 for the past 16 years. I know leading up 2 and even after d2 had a huge population and it still does. New ladder seasons on d2 every few months. D2jsp [ the auction house diablo should have had] is still hoppin.
    I think that D2 standard population is on average bigger than D3, mostly because D3 spikes at season start and rapidly drops after people is done (i am extremely casual and S7 journey was done in 30 hours of gameplay, which i find both ridiculous and convenient since i want free time for other games).

The whole crap is due to a non-existing endgame that makes you wanting to play after journey is done (non-season is barren). In D2 ladders lasted due to them being tied to reach lvl99 and that was both long and non relevant to the gameplay (reaching 75-80 was more than enough to do everything reliably), and with the item hunt being more prominent. In D3 item hunt is next to non-existant and ladders are tied to GRs levels which are tied to Paragon. Paragon farming becomes mandatory the moment you want to place in ladders, and are next to meaningless otherwise.

I see lots of people now saying "you don't need to be 24/7 on to be in ladders", but it's a result of much less people interested (much less competition) and the bot banwaves that made a lot of players just step back.

One thing i hated and still abhor of D2 is D2jsp and the whole trading system, but that's another story and a pure personal opinion; i can understand people liking it and that basically doesn't invalidate the gameplay like AH did in in vanilla D3 (while D2 ladders are still bogus and a no-brainer - farm 24/7 and be the first reach 99).

I think that D2 standard population is on average bigger than D3, mostly because D3 spikes at season start and rapidly drops after people is done (i am extremely casual and S7 journey was done in 30 hours of gameplay, which i find both ridiculous and convenient since i want free time for other games).

The whole crap is due to a non-existing endgame that makes you wanting to play after journey is done (non-season is barren). In D2 ladders lasted due to them being tied to reach lvl99 and that was both long and non relevant to the gameplay (reaching 75-80 was more than enough to do everything reliably), and with the item hunt being more prominent. In D3 item hunt is next to non-existant and ladders are tied to GRs levels which are tied to Paragon. Paragon farming becomes mandatory the moment you want to place in ladders, and are next to meaningless otherwise.

I see lots of people now saying "you don't need to be 24/7 on to be in ladders", but it's a result of much less people interested (much less competition) and the bot banwaves that made a lot of players just step back.

One thing i hated and still abhor of D2 is D2jsp and the whole trading system, but that's another story and a pure personal opinion; i can understand people liking it and that basically doesn't invalidate the gameplay like AH did in in vanilla D3 (while D2 ladders are still bogus and a no-brainer - farm 24/7 and be the first reach 99).
    Whats wrong with d2jsp? I think its amazing what a community built and has maintained with no support what so ever and made a valueable and good trading hub. The alt was sitting there refreshing game names looking for trades which sucked untill i found jsp. If blizzard put a little more work into it we could have a solid item trading, but they focused to much on making a quick buck.

Whats wrong with d2jsp? I think its amazing what a community built and has maintained with no support what so ever and made a valueable and good trading hub. The alt was sitting there refreshing game names looking for trades which sucked untill i found jsp. If blizzard put a little more work into it we could have a solid item trading, but they focused to much on making a quick buck.
    Basically people buying their gear for real money which invalidates one of the main focuses if not the most important (the item hunt). Though as i said, while i don't like it (always played self found for 9 straight years) the good side is that people buying stuff didn't automatically invalidate my game and basically trading or not you still have a good game in your hands.

AH in D3 basically broke everything because acts2-4 in Vanilla D3 were nothing more than a gearwall, and farming stuff by yourself was so incredibly inefficient to the point you could easily find yourself stuck at some point. RoS made the game infinitely better (though theu pulled the lever to the other extreme raining drops everywhere).

Again, it's a personal opinion. Trading is not inherently bad, but the system needs to be integrated really well otherwise it will fall either in the "useless" or the "mandatory" category, which are both bad.

Basically people buying their gear for real money which invalidates one of the main focuses if not the most important (the item hunt). Though as i said, while i don't like it (always played self found for 9 straight years) the good side is that people buying stuff didn't automatically invalidate my game and basically trading or not you still have a good game in your hands.

AH in D3 basically broke everything because acts2-4 in Vanilla D3 were nothing more than a gearwall, and farming stuff by yourself was so incredibly inefficient to the point you could easily find yourself stuck at some point. RoS made the game infinitely better (though theu pulled the lever to the other extreme raining drops everywhere).

Again, it's a personal opinion. Trading is not inherently bad, but the system needs to be integrated really well otherwise it will fall either in the "useless" or the "mandatory" category, which are both bad.
    With the gear websites buying gear on d2jsp was the least able way to do it. pay2win really never got you anywhere as the whole game was all about the gear grind.

With the gear websites buying gear on d2jsp was the least able way to do it. pay2win really never got you anywhere as the whole game was all about the gear grind.
    Well - you bought gear, you farmed better so it got you somewhere at least. My point is that trading or not you could play the game efficiently and have a sensible and meaningful progression, when in D3 it doesn't exist either in Vanilla with Ah or in RoS with no trading.

I think that trading is not at all required nor a core feature that must be in game. It may be a very good addition but it needs to be done right.

PS: i'm talking about Diablo/ARPG games. There are multiple genres where trading is a core mechanic and its done well; i'm not opposing it. I just don't like it much as i just like farming and grinding my stuff out.

I think that trading is not at all required nor a core feature that must be in game. It may be a very good addition but it needs to be done right.
    Can't begin to describe how much I disagree. Pretty much the whole reason D2 is still so popular and has a thriving community. Whether it's due to facilitating third party sites like JSP or simply by allowing folks who enjoy trading more than playing to turn the game into a trading simulator, it's been a huge reason for why D2 is still pretty popular despite not having received any love in what...nearly a decade?