Buying new monitor, IPS, TN or AMVA+?

So I decided to change my current monitor (Samsung SM 206BW). Its 20" TN monitor with 1680x1050 (16:10) resolution and I wanna move to a 23-24" 1920x1080 (16:9).

Hovewer I cant decide between TN, IPS and AMVA. For pure gaming probably best are 144hz TN monitors but I wanna also have good colors and good viewing angles. But Im afraid IPS/AMVA will have motion blur in FPS games and have this strange silver glow in dark scenes, Im not sure how its called.

So what would be best choice if I use my computer basically for everything (gaming, editing movies, photos, internet, watching movies etc) ?

10+ Year Old Account
    The strange silver glow you're talking about is IPS glow (not to be confused with backlight bleed), it actually can be purple, yellow, whiteish and silver. There are some exceptions that are low glow like the Eizo EV2450, Dell U2414H and the extremely rare exception of no glow at all, Eizo EV2736W. Supposedly some newer Eizo Color Edge monitors have an A-TW polarizer in it to eliminate IPS glow also. That said, it's caused by an off viewing angle too and of course that depends on how close you sit and size of the monitor, as it's usually the corners that you'll notice it if you're close enough. There's also the same phenomenon with VAs but it's less drastic and often less visible than IPS glow. The other problem is off center contrast shift, where dark grey (very specific actually) content may look completely black but it does have higher contrast in spec and usually in practice. Good panels are up to 5000:1 but those are actually rarer and usual is 3000:1. In general people find the higher contrast as better image quality as TN/IPS are stuck around 1000:1 with some Sharp IGZO (IPS type) exceptions at 1500:1.

That said, I personally would go with VA or IPS. Though there's not many VA panels that are actually reviewed in depth not talking about shitty reviews in generic tech sites, I mean like prad.de or tftcentral.co.uk so recommendation is actually pretty hard.

As for perceived motion blur, you're going to see it with all panel types without a motion blur reduction monitor. It's due to the fact that they're all sample and hold panels that keeps your eyes on an image longer and in between transition. As for motion blur itself the response time is not really something I concern myself with as I don't find it that big of a difference especially due to eye balls and perceived motion blur. If you have a motion blur reduction (black frame inserts monitor) then it also is kind of moot for transition fade as a black insert pretty much removes it. And the TN panel's pixel response actually is more on par of around 3-4ms without huge overdrive artifacts, which is in general worse than the motion blur itself.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-10-19 at 06:40 PM.

I recommend my own Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display 21:9 monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...016GNX4SE?th=1

Buy it, it will change the way you are gaming.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Nah, way to big for me. Not strong enough computer also to support that big resolution. 24" is perfect for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'd go with the U2414H then.

Yo @Remilia, what do you think of the new samsung 144hz quantum dot displays?
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...isplay-curved/

I actually kind of want one lol. Do you know if the 24" has strobing enabled, or the option to? Ive seen samsung 4k tv's with quantum dots they look amazing im hoping these displays have at least some of that in them.

Here is the 24" on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-24-In...f_rd_i=desktop

Im seriously thinking about pre ordering this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without actual reviews and bench I don't know.
    Do be aware that Window's color management is pretty poor and the increased gamut by quantum dot is going to make things over saturated, granted if you like that it's not a terribly bad idea, and remember TVs have different software to handle color gamuts.

There's no motion blur reduction as far as I know based off the press release.

To be honest i dont know if id like oversaturated on a PC display, i do know i think samsung phone screens are the best on the market. I still think 1080p is the best resolution for a PC these displays tick every box for me especially if they are able to enable strobing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Yo @Remilia, what do you think of the new samsung 144hz quantum dot displays?
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...isplay-curved/

I actually kind of want one lol. Do you know if the 24" has strobing enabled, or the option to? Ive seen samsung 4k tv's with quantum dots they look amazing im hoping these displays have at least some of that in them.

Here is the 24" on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-24-In...f_rd_i=desktop

Im seriously thinking about pre ordering this.
    I think this screen is also freesync, pretty much all of samsungs new offerings have freesync now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    To be honest i dont know if id like oversaturated on a PC display, i do know i think samsung phone screens are the best on the market. I still think 1080p is the best resolution for a PC these displays tick every box for me especially if they are able to enable strobing.
    Well, I doubt Samsung is that incompetent to not have a toggle to emulate sRGB in the OSD but hell if I know.

I honestly think this samsung may be the new De facto "best gaming monitor" on the market, cant wait for reviews. So glad it does not have gsync, all that does is increase the price lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Samsung uses OLED panels in their phones though, it's a completely different thing. They indeed are the best in the world in that market.

They aren't exactly bad in LCD displays though, their latest TV line holds the record for contrast ratios for LCD displays. But if I remember correctly their new gaming monitor will only go as high as 3000:1, which is already 3x better than the IPS alternatives but still not close to the 8000:1 the TVs can do.

With both Samsung and LG approaching monitor sized OLED displays now, things will start to get more interesting. I just wonder why Samsung had to invent another sub-pixel arrangement again (S-stripe) instead of simply using RGB. And LG is using RGBW so... yeah... No normal options for us.

I suggest you visit TN Vs. IPS Which is Better for Gaming?. Here, you can get more information about TN display and IPS display. TN dispiay has faster respone and high refresh rate. As well as IPS display features good image quality.