Thread: dash camera

dash camera

So I see more and more people with Dash cameras in their cars or attached to their motorcycle helmets these days. Do any of you use a dash camera? I've thought about getting one as I do alot of traveling on high traveled roads.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I want one, simply because of the growing number of idiots on the road and I refuse to be liable for their bullshit.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Literally no one cares about my boring daily drudges through traffic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah seems like it would be a pain in the ass to manage

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, motorcycles I mostly see go-pros that are helmet mounted that you just turn on before riding.

I have a Mobius for my car because I needed a small camera that could be mounted on my windshield. My windshield is sloped and small enough (that's RHD, but you get the idea) that most of the ones with a screen would be real tough to mount. Camera quality is pretty solidly spot on.

I don't move my car until my dashcam is running. It's an added insurance policy to protect myself should i encounter any morons on the road, i've had some numerous misses over the years, this year some school kids almost hit my car doing unsafe wheelies in the middle of the road, clipped the video and sent it to the school and they were traced almost immediately. I feel justified in that i protected other road users as well as the children...

One of my closest misses was with a white van, he wasn't paying attention so swerved into my lane which caused me to move out also. I slightly predicted what he may have done before hand so i checked my mirrors all the same!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiAAWClJIYk

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    No. Literally no one cares about my boring daily drudges through traffic.
    That's not what they're for. If a person wants to upload their daily commute to Youtube, that's their prerogative, but they serve a far greater purpose. OT: As a truck driver, a dash cam is all but mandatory. I doubly, triply, refuse to be liable for an idiot's bullshit.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

When we get AI, we'll have internet cams.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I see more and more people with Dash cameras in their cars or attached to their motorcycle helmets these days. Do any of you use a dash camera? I've thought about getting one as I do alot of traveling on high traveled roads.
    Yes I do use one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Well, motorcycles I mostly see go-pros that are helmet mounted that you just turn on before riding.

I have a Mobius for my car because I needed a small camera that could be mounted on my windshield. My windshield is sloped and small enough (that's RHD, but you get the idea) that most of the ones with a screen would be real tough to mount. Camera quality is pretty solidly spot on.
    I also use a mobius.

Deleted
    i didn't on my last car, because the dash camera would probably be more expensive than the actual car, but if i get a new one i will be using a dash camera. With some insurance providers they lower insurance, and its best to be safe, too many idiots out there!

Been looking to get one for my car since I do uber. So not only to see what is in front of my car, but also to record the happenings in the car.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I also use a mobius.
    Yeah, I don't have any videos to upload, but every one I've looked at has been great.

I have a BlackVue front/rear setup on my daily driver.

pros
    30fps 1080p saved to microSD
    high quality in day/night
    detects impacts and alters recording mode to auto-save
    low profile camera, can hide behind most rearview mirrors easily (no screen)
    supports gps tagging and stat logging (i didnt bother with this)
    has a parking mode feature that will record based on motion/impacts when it knows youve parked
    ^has external battery option to support extended recording for that
    other options like built in wifi, IR, waterproof, etc, depends on the model

cons
    more expensive than your amazon direct-from-china cams
    no screen on the camera module (have to use desktop software or smart phone)
    the adhesive patch that came with mine wore out in a month but they replaced it free o' charge

I got it basically because of "screen shot or it didn't happen" mentality and cause tech nerd.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Naw i prefer to rely on skills and experience that have kept me out of a crash for over 25 years. Also insurance companies are fairly mercenary in the US. I'll only believe there's a discount when the offer it in tiny tiny print.

Holly Anderson, a spokeswoman for State Farm Insurance, explains to cars.com:

When we provide a discount it is based on something that we believe will lower our claims costs, such as a customer’s driving history that indicates he or she is a safe driver. While a dash cam may provide information about why a crash occurred, it is not a device that is designed to inhibit the crash from happening in the first place.

I am actually looking into a couple, the amount of crazy shit I see on the roads is astounding and I want to make a compilation video. The insurance companies should be paying me for stopping so many accidents.

- - - Updated - - -

These are the 3 I am looking at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE...FHURN72E&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E56WY18...6ZRCNMSO&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FCZ2I66...I10W5HOM89T4ET

- - - Updated - - -

What a horrible driver.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Had my first accident in 12 years of driving and it totaled my vehicle because someone pulled a dangerous and illegal maneuver. Even though they accepted full liability, that was the moment when I swore I would never drive my own vehicle without a dash cam.

In about 15 hours of driving with my new car, I've caught about 6 people very nearly hitting me. It's just scary. I'd recommend it; heck, I think insurance companies ought to pay for them if people want them.

I used Amazon's recommendation and got the Rexing V1. I'm happy with it so far. Night time coverage is a bit spotty but during the day it works just fine.

They are illegal where I'm working right now (Germany), you may hold one but having them permanently installed and recording wihtout proper cause is not allowed.

I also use a mobius.
    lol is this your video?

Because goddamn...whoever is in that video is a terrible driver. Speeding, overtaking on the inside, didn't hear the indicator once (no clicking, no large flip/click when it disengages)...maybe it's just super quiet, tailgating, cutting solid white and double white lines, meandering across lanes, riding the lines, riding the shoulder...absolute goddamn liability on the road whoever is in that video. Never drive again.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    lol is this your video?

Because goddamn...whoever is in that video is a terrible driver. Speeding, overtaking on the inside, didn't hear the indicator once (no clicking, no large flip/click when it disengages)...maybe it's just super quiet, tailgating, cutting solid white and double white lines, meandering across lanes, riding the lines, riding the shoulder...absolute goddamn liability on the road whoever is in that video. Never drive again.
    This is how I drive everyday on the way home. Yes it's me.