Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone else notice this years been kind of lacklustre in terms of game music?

So replaying Nier Automata it struck me how its pretty much the only really good soundtrack so far this year in a game. Theres been plenty of great games, the years been bloody frontloaded to shit with them. But i look back at Nioh, Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn and even Breath of the Wild and there is not a single memorable track -bar zeldas obvious reuses of earlier games music of course- and its not something you often think about but in a year of really really good gameplay has anyone noticed the lack of standout videogame soundtracks so far?

For example heres a track from Niers early game:

And thats a lot more complex and well produced than Niohs generic traditional japanese sound, Horizons one use of that single track of a woman going "ooo-ooooooh-oooh-ooohhh" over and over and RE7 basically has "Don't Tell Aunt Rhoady" and nothing else outside its save rooms.

Wheres all the good videogame music gone?

I mean i expect good things from P5 of course, but what else for the rest of 2017? Stormblood? seems like a strange thing to focus on but i love vidoegame OST's and so far Niers is really the only one i've been listening to outside the game and thats a new low numbers wise, even for this early in a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just that more devs want to make more atmospheric music instead. Neither are really wrong imo, just different.

10+ Year Old Account
    did you hear dark souls 3 ringed city music? it is very epic

was just about to comment about Nier music , now that i think of it i cant recall any other decent soundtrack lately.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Hollow Knight has a pretty fantastic soundtrack. One reason among many that it's my favourite game of the year so far.

I think we will get some good stuff come FF14 Stormblood. So far music in ARR and Heavensward has been badass.

We're literally 4 months into the year and have 2 games with GOAT contender soundtracks in Nier and Persona 5.

Seems kind of lackluster indeed... or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    i must say i've loved the minimalistic breath of the wild music, kass accordeon music is just mhhh~ same as the dragon roost island remake they did <3
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    On top of what others said, Yakuza 0's soundtrack is nothing to sneeze at.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised and disappointed in Mass Effect's lack of epic music. I mean, the battle music is alright, but there really only seems to be a few themes, and none of the hard hitting grand scores the trilogy had.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm surprised and disappointed in Mass Effect's lack of epic music. I mean, the battle music is alright, but there really only seems to be a few themes, and none of the hard hitting grand scores the trilogy had.
    Very, very lacking. I loved the intro music, and after that (and seeing the ship for the first time) it was like there wasn't music at all.

There was some nice ambiental music on Voeld, but most of the time I haven't even heard it.

FFXIV's music is always of a very high standard, so that's definitely something to look forward to!

Tales of Berseria has a great OST - this track, in particular, is a favourite of mine:

Nier's soundtrack is excellent, of course - but you've already covered that. I think you'd like quite a few of the tracks from Berseria's OST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I think it's just that more devs want to make more atmospheric music instead. Neither are really wrong imo, just different.
    Yeah, seems to be a trend that they are going with more atmospheric music and ambient sound over more epic full orchestra soundtracks.

10+ Year Old Account
    See it's interesting how personal taste varies, I think Hollow Knight, The Ringed City, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nioh and Neir have some amazing musical pieces amongst it.
    Different music for different people. Hopefully later in the year you'll like something more.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    On top of what others said, Yakuza 0's soundtrack is nothing to sneeze at.
    Yea but the game was from like 2015. Sega gonna Sega on that localization time tho.

Video Game Music is most often like Pizza.

You have terrible pizza, then everything else is pretty good, and then you have the real good shit.

Honestly I have a hard time remembering if we ever had bad game music in recent memory.

I wonder if this is purely a commercial decision. Are people going to pass on a game because they didn't make an effort with the music score? Probably not, therefore it's an investment they could save on. Just pay any halfway competent music producer some pennies to send them a few 'atmospheric' chords and bingo you're done.

It's a shame, because the score can transform a game into something really special. Michael Giacchino's score for Medal of Honor: Frontline is still one of the best scores I've ever heard for a game. Oblivion wouldn't have been the same without Jeremy Soule's wonderful music.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2017-04-01 at 11:24 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea but the game was from like 2015. Sega gonna Sega on that localization time tho.
    True, figured I'd mention it since people were mentioning Persona 5 though, which is also 2017 for us but an earlier year for Japan

15+ Year Old Account
    Aside from persona 5, I'm waiting for demon gaze 2 since the first one had the best ost in 2014

Xenoblade should be good too, assuming it actually comes out this year. Either way, automata having the best ost of all time will tide me over for awhile.