Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz (weak point most likely)
    8GB RAM
    GTX760 (meh)
    Windows 10
    SSD Hard Drive

Running basically the settings the launcher set as default minus AA and I enabled 64-bit target rendering (honestly not sure what this is). I'm wondering if maybe it set distant terrain and such too high. I'll also disable the 64-bit target rendering when I try it out next. Raiding in WoW atm so can't check it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be the ram that's my theory. At least I'm assuming. I'll have a look in the special edition of Skyrim in the morning

I have a GTX 780

Win 10 and the 5800k Intel Processor and 16 GB of ram. Will see what happens.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

So my progress from my normal Skyrim doesn't transfer to my special edition?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    So my progress from my normal Skyrim doesn't transfer to my special edition?
    I wouldn't think so, and even so, if you played with mods in the past, those saves wouldn't do you much good as mods tend to leave things behind in save files even if the mod gets uninstalled.

If you mean PS3/X360 saves, then no, those are not transferable.

My Special Edition Skyrim Prima Collector's Edition Guide got here today.

I'm not going to play the game, I'm just going to use it as a weapon for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    I wouldn't think so, and even so, if you played with mods in the past, those saves wouldn't do you much good as mods tend to leave things behind in save files even if the mod gets uninstalled.

If you mean PS3/X360 saves, then no, those are not transferable.
    Turns out I had to copy and paste my save files into the new SE folder. I never used any mods so it was seamless!

So am I correct on my assumption that this is just a graphics update and there's no reason to play this over my modded skyrim?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    So am I correct on my assumption that this is just a graphics update and there's no reason to play this over my modded skyrim?
    SE runs on fallout 4's engine and that comes with many perks better stability(fallout 4 was the most stable bethesda studios game in a long time) for one 64 bit client so it's possible we can have more mods then the normal version of skyrim.Also that means we can possibly get more complex mods in the future.

The bad if it does indeed run off of fallout 4's engine that means this game could have a few issue involving how it handles memory and it's volumetric lighting/god rays.

an example of the memory issue would be one texture corrupting once you reach a limit of written memory if anyone ever had this issue in fallout 4 I might have a possible fix feel free to respond to me or pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz (weak point most likely)
    8GB RAM
    GTX760 (meh)
    Windows 10
    SSD Hard Drive

Running basically the settings the launcher set as default minus AA and I enabled 64-bit target rendering (honestly not sure what this is). I'm wondering if maybe it set distant terrain and such too high. I'll also disable the 64-bit target rendering when I try it out next. Raiding in WoW atm so can't check it.
    Probably RAM Memory. Skyrim 'regular' pulls past the totals of your system close to 7.4 (you'll start noticing this) and if you mod extensively, it will eventually crash the game, when it reaches 8GB.

My recommendation would be to add or replace to at least 16GB and preferably go to 32GB. Not that you'll use more than 16GB, but RAM is fairly cheap these days and the whole point is to have it in abundance so the capacity never becomes the bottleneck.

10+ Year Old Account
    So changing iVSyncPresentInterval=1 to iVSyncPresentInterval=0 in skyrimprefs.ini has pretty much cleared any framerate issues I was having. Getting smooth 60fps indoors and outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    So changing iVSyncPresentInterval=1 to iVSyncPresentInterval=0 in skyrimprefs.ini has pretty much cleared any framerate issues I was having. Getting smooth 60fps indoors and outdoors.
    If that remains so even when you're in-game for about 3 hours, I would guess your problem is fixed :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    If that remains so even when you're in-game for about 3 hours, I would guess your problem is fixed :P
    Just finished up a 4 hr session so it looks like it. Not really running anything special mod-wise. Right now I only have the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    It just saddens me that they waste this opportunity on something like Skyrim. Morrowind and Oblivion seems like they'd be much better choices, especially Morrowind. I guess I'm back to waiting on Skywind to release in a non-super buggy state.
    Oblivion is so-so, but the effort required to remaster Morrowind in their newest engine is almost the same as for a new game. The sound and story assets are there, as well as general mapping and structure layout, but everything needs poly counts upped, all art assets need to be made from scratch, foliage, lighting, etc. need to be re-done.

They would much rather use their ~100 devs to make their next game, and leave this sort of thing for modders. The only reason they did a Skyrim remaster is because when they got the Xbox One devkits they started porting it over just to learn the hardware, and decided to make it a full thing when the nostalgia hit them.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, unless you're a XBOne player this is rather pointless. Best stick to the old legendary edition where all your mods work fine and the game looks better than the special edition. From the few hours I've spent on a new playthrough, everything is exactly the same. Texture quality is maybe 20-30% better, though it still looks like a 5yo game (remember, Skyrim had shit textures for a 2011 release), there's a bit more clutter, and a (admittedly nice) DoF filter was added. Content-wise it's the same old game.

10+ Year Old Account
    so skyrim without mods that looks worse than skyrim with mods for 60bucks nice
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    so skyrim without mods that looks worse than skyrim with mods for 60bucks nice
    Perk of owning it the standard one plus all DLC on PC is I get it for free

PC users got special edition for free. Things I noticed.

1. Depth of field is annoying, makes for nice screen shots but it has some sort of autofocus DOF thing going on, options only have a slider and no turn off option.. Getting a slight headache from it, it's tiring on the eyes and annoying in motion, just looks good for screenies.

2. Fog is a lot thicker, but honestly along with the DOF it's like it adds a layer of mucus to the visuals that reduces clarity.. It's like the air is thicker all of the time, annoying.

3. A lot of stuff just looks vanilla, low res textures etc and while it's better in general it's nothing amazing. Texture and static mesh quality looks considerably worse compared to original modded.

4. Sound files are lower quality than original game, probably to save space on download for consoles.

Really if you have not played original Skyrim in a while you wont even notice any difference (unless you played on PS3/Xb360), it will just look like Skyrim. A now very dated looking epic adventure RPG. The modding capability of the special edition is much better and the modded graphics possibilities are quite a bit better, but with the modding scene being dead I can't see it ever happening.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-10-28 at 10:49 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Heads up if you don't wanna start again you can just copy your old saves into the new folder in your My Games folder in Documents. You'll get a message saying the high res texture pack isn't supported but it works just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Ugh, what is with the 'focus'? Like when I stare at someone everything else blurs out. That gives me a headache, hope someone mods it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Ugh, what is with the 'focus'? Like when I stare at someone everything else blurs out. That gives me a headache, hope someone mods it out.
    There's a slider which allows you to turn it off.

I'm playing on PS4 and so far I'm satisfied. The frame rate has been smooth in all situations, and it looks very nice. The sound files are definitely not lower quality as someone suggested earlier, at least not on PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    There's a slider which allows you to turn it off.

I'm playing on PS4 and so far I'm satisfied. The frame rate has been smooth in all situations, and it looks very nice. The sound files are definitely not lower quality as someone suggested earlier, at least not on PS4.
    The slider doesn't allow you to turn it off on PC, just changes the focus speed and severity, but you can still clearly notice it in the distance if you pay attention, dunno how it works on consoles.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4