Thread: i voted!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    This year Ill be voting for my 1st time since becoming a citizen...
    Congratulations on becoming a citizen and exercising your right to vote! There are many folks born in the USA that never vote - and complain that they are getting screwed!

My GF and I just got back from early voting - voted for Trump/Pence and the Republican party for the other 5 postilions running in my state.

TRUMP 2016!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    How is it that Democrats are always bringing up the Southern Strategy
    The RNC Chairman himself apologized just a few years ago for continuing to target bigoted morons for the votes they can't outright steal. I guess your issue is with the GOP and not Democrats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    It disgusts me when I see places down south especially that have lines that are 8 hours long to vote usually for the black neighborhoods. This should not be left to state governments.
    Like I have said before, the Republicans desperately relying on mass disfranchisement of US citizens (among so many other heinous tactics) should be disgusting to anyone who actually cares about this country. You can have whatever moronic views you want to have, no one should be gleefully stopping other citizens from voting.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Just finished my mail-in ballot over lunch. Its so easy and convenient, can't imagine why it isnt a national standard at this point. Treated myself to some takeout pad thai and worked on it over 20 minutes.

After voting in legalized marijuana 4 years ago, we didn't have any other votes of the same blockbuster feel.

The most interesting initiatives were:
    Raising the state minimum wage to $13.50 over four years. Even though Democrats hate poor rural people, all their legislative policies were blocked by state Republicans. So this will be a test of direct voting, to see if poor rural people are really interested in liberal help.

Any other voters out there with interesting initiatives on their ballots?

PS send the usual presidential BS to their respective mega threads.
    Not sure where you get that Democrats hate poor rural people. Democrats have been the ones maintaining farm subsidies for several decades now, and generally support most programs that help the poor.

Now, if you are referring to various hateful concepts (e.g. anti-gay) that are common in rural areas...just because they oppose hate doesn't make them hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Democrats don't hate any voters, they just don't have an equivalent to the Republican's Southern Strategy, which specifically targets bigots and morons for their votes (who tend to be uneducated because of Republican policies and their location).

I'm sure if the Democrats decided to target these racist / sexist / misogynist / uneducated voters they would adopt a similar strategy. Thankfully they have chosen to take the high road, someone in the US needed to.
    Yeah high road. Sure. One party panders to stupid people from one area, the other panders to stupid people from a different area. Get over yourself. Both parties know most of you are morons and you are the reason they suck so bad. They know they can get away with anything, so long as they keep you divided.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Not sure where you get that Democrats hate poor rural people. Democrats have been the ones maintaining farm subsidies for several decades now, and generally support most programs that help the poor.

Now, if you are referring to various hateful concepts (e.g. anti-gay) that are common in rural areas...just because they oppose hate doesn't make them hateful.
    I agree that Democrats and their policies are the biggest problems in agriculture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    One party panders to stupid people from one area, the other panders to stupid people from a different area.
    Come on man, this kind of false equivalency garbage is just lazy coming from you.

The RNC Chairman himself apologized for targeting bigoted morons for the votes they can't outright steal. Republican politicians regularly use racist, sexist and homophobic appeals in their stump speeches. The Democrats have no equivalent.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    How is it that Democrats are always bringing up the Southern Strategy when it something that happened 50 years ago, but whenever you bring up the Democrats being the ones that created and enforced all of the Jim Crow laws they say but that was 50 years ago.
    Because that isn't the Democrats of today. That is the REPUBLICANS of today. Which is what Espe's point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Deflection. No one put those words in their mouths. It's like the leaks issue. Russians got em? Sucks. They are still real though, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.
    Context can be important. O'Keefe removes that context with his manipulative edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    Congratulations on becoming a citizen and exercising your right to vote! There are many folks born in the USA that never vote - and complain that they are getting screwed!

My GF and I just got back from early voting - voted for Trump/Pence and the Republican party for the other 5 postilions running in my state.

TRUMP 2016!!!
    Because we are getting screwed. The two party system screws everyone. Only those two parties have a chance in hell of becoming POTUS.

Its come down to voting for the lesser of two evils.

And both are absolute garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Context can be important. O'Keefe removes that context with his manipulative edits.
    Yep and he was just interviewed, I think on the Same Seder show, saying he won't release the unedited tapes because of reasons.

He really is the captain of the SS Douchebag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post

Heh I was being sarcastic. There's a new meme going out about liberals abandoning or being mean to rural Americans. Its a weird intersection between hardcore leftists and moderate conservatives, both desperate to find fault with democrats. They've basically fabricated this myth to justify still not voting for Hillary. Some "very wise men" in media have globbed onto this as well. To help sell some ad space for what ever opinion piece they need to sell.

I know plenty of democrats including myself that have gone out to volunteer teach, contribute health services, infrastructure projects to rural areas. We've had to do this on the volunteer level since any legislative help is typically blocked by party line republicans.
    WA state for example. Urban areas are leading the with increasing minimum wage. State level attempts to raise it were blocked by a Republican lead state legislature (which includes 1 conservative democrat who switched caucuses, so democrats are technically not perfect).

So a state level referendum on minimum wage and sick days will be an interesting acid test.
    Are rural voters really interested in democrat policies, or compromised versions (the state wage will be less than Seattle's)? Election maps will reveal some insight on the desires and intentions of rural voters.

Also there's an interest mass transit bill on our ballot. Basically a 50-year extension on transit taxes to fund the expansion of light rail. Its a vote for 3 counties. Even though they include the largest cities in the state. More people live in the suburban areas, and those voters will decide it.

If you think about it. Suburban-whites are maybe the most influential voting bloc nation-wide. Its been suburban-whites telling rural-whites to suck it all this time.

I didn't vote for either candidate and I'm proud of it.