Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Spain's population set to drop 11% by 2050

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lderly-singles

Spain by 2050 will be a depopulated nation dominated by elderly and single people,
    according to a report that predicts the country will have lost 5.3 million inhabitants, or 11% of the current population, by the middle of the century.

Spain’s low birth rate and high life expectancy are seen as a demographic problem that the report, released by the national statistics office on Thursday, expects to become more entrenched.

If the trends continue, by 2050 the over-65s will make up 34.6% of the population, while close to a quarter of a million Spaniards will be over 100 years old. By that date there will be 1.7 million fewer children under 10 than there are today.

A country also once famed for large families seems destined to become a nation of singletons, with single-person households rising by about a fifth over the next 15 years, to make up 28% of the total. Two-person households will make up a third of the total.
    'Teach young people we are not going to move over': stories of ageing in cities
    Read more

While the fertility rate is predicted to rise slightly, from 1.33 to 1.38, births will fall overall because there will be fewer women of childbearing age. The average age at which Spanish women have their first child is expected to rise from 31.9 to 33 years.

In the first 10 years of the millennium, immigration from Latin America, north Africa and elsewhere in Europe boosted Spain’s reproductive population, but following the financial crisis hundreds of thousands of those immigrants have returned home. Meanwhile, large numbers of young Spaniards have themselves emigrated in search of work. However, immigration is predicted to slightly exceed emigration in the coming years.

In 1900 life expectancy in Spain was 35, meaning that half of those born did not live to be 15. Life expectancy is now 80 for men and 85 for women; if the trends continue, by 2065 this will rise to 88 and 91 respectively.

Demographers stress that elderly people should not be seen as burdensome on Spanish society. “They have resources, 70% have paid off their mortgages,” said Julio Pérez Díaz, a demographer at the Centre for Human and Social Sciences in Madrid. “They are big consumers and during the long financial crisis it has been pensioners who, above all, have saved their children and grandchildren from going under.”

Antonio Argũeso, of the institute that produced the paper, cautioned: “These are not so much predictions but references to the way things might evolve. In the 1990s we didn’t think Spain would arrive at a population of 40 million but no one had predicted that 10 years later six million immigrants would arrive and take the population to 47 million.”
    If this happens they have noone to blame but themselves. They have a clear example set by successful countries like Canada as to allowing refugees and immigrants in for the betterment of society. I guess the question is whether Spain is an attractive destination given all the issues with the economy but they should at least try.

Spain did allow immigrants though, I used to had relatives there. They went back to Colombia when shit went down.

Can't keep driving the population up ad infinitum. Gotta slim down at some point, might as well be now with things ahead like automation and global warming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Can't keep driving the population up ad infinitum. Gotta slim down at some point, might as well be now with things ahead like automation and global warming.
    That's on a global level. A country like Spain can more than handle a few million more.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Right? Is not population decline ultimately good for the Spaniards that remain? Housing becomes cheaper, land opens up, the price of local labor goes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only Tennistroll, only tennistroll.

Infracted - Contribute to the thread when posting
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-10-22 at 02:54 AM.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

I know communists don't like money, but a decline in population comes with its problems and for an economy in the state of Spain, I don't think that's what the goverment needs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I know communists don't like money, but a decline in population comes with its problems and for an economy in the state of Spain, I don't think that's what the goverment needs.
    In the long run its good for the people though, it frees up land, lowers housing prices and increases local wages.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Spain is just one of many EU countries with aging populations ....
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-10-23 at 02:34 PM. Reason: link removed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Right? Is not population decline ultimately good for the Spaniards that remain? Housing becomes cheaper, land opens up, the price of local labor goes up.
    Hahahhaa. So all the experts say it's not a good thing but you claim otherwise. Okkk there.

Nah, ship them all to Canada so that nice pleasant areas like Spain stay nice and pleasant.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Hahahhaa. So all the experts say it's not a good thing but you claim otherwise. Okkk there.
    The experts are fixated on GDP numbers and statistics, not individuals on the ground.

Yes, if you want to sustain property values and keep wages where they are at, then sure, open the flood gates.

However if you care more about the long term future of your country, then perhaps focus inward and help the people now.

Hahaha, all the experts paid by big corporations to push unfettered immigration.

Okkk there kiddo? Okkk.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

This is a natural and healthy part of an efficient first world country. The need for a family to have lots of children in the first world isn't as important as in the third world where you need your children to take care of you when you're older. When the left uses this as an excuse to increase immigration from the third world it makes you wonder what their motivations truly are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    But who will take care of the elderly?
    And what do we do with people in the building-sector?
    Or how to deal with teachers when they have empty classrooms?
    By 2050 robots will probably look after the elderly

7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lderly-singles

If this happens they have noone to blame but themselves. They have a clear example set by successful countries like Canada as to allowing refugees and immigrants in for the betterment of society. I guess the question is whether Spain is an attractive destination given all the issues with the economy but they should at least try.
    Don't they take N African immigrants in large amounts?

Not saying that would help any, because cheap imported labor screws a nations working class
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Spain actually did that - and allowed six millions of immigrants in the latest decades (i.e. outdoing Canada).

Read the article you linked: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lderly-singles

Deleted
    RIP Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by sockzz View Post
    This is a natural and healthy part of an efficient first world country. The need for a family to have lots of children in the first world isn't as important as in the third world where you need your children to take care of you when you're older. When the left uses this as an excuse to increase immigration from the third world it makes you wonder what their motivations truly are.
    Doesn't make me wonder it makes it very obvious. Import the 3rd world mentality everywhere so there's no escaping the situation, everywhere to run to is a 3rd world shithole ruled by bureaucrats for corporate fatcats.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Don't they take N African immigrants in large amounts?
    They did at least - according to the article.