10+ Year Old Account

Do you think a 1070 is worth an extra $100 over a 980Ti?

I wanted to grab an upgrade for my 970 since I am swapping to 1440p monitor and wanted to keep maxing stuff out.

An EVGA b-stock 980Ti can be had for like $330-$360 these days... I know 1070s are better, but are they an extra $100-$120 better?

I haven't really followed the 10xx series at all since I figured I wouldn't be getting one ever as I was happy with my 970 at 1080p, but the times have changed and now I am completely ignorant. Like are there any unique features on the 1070, useful currently or in the future, over the 980Ti?

Thanks

It's mainly efficiency (so heat output & noise) and some new technology stuff like improved NVENC and SMT support (simultaneous multiprojection)

The performance is fairly similar between the two if you don't care about those things

Here is a zotac with a good cooler (albeit, long) for MSRP:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500409

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends entirely on how much you care about DX12 and if online retailers aren't shit goblins about their pricing.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

It's not unless you also have to upgrade your PSU to handle a GTX 980Ti (150W vs 250W power draw).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I wanted to grab an upgrade for my 970 since I am swapping to 1440p monitor and wanted to keep maxing stuff out.

An EVGA b-stock 980Ti can be had for like $330-$360 these days... I know 1070s are better, but are they an extra $100-$120 better?

I haven't really followed the 10xx series at all since I figured I wouldn't be getting one ever as I was happy with my 970 at 1080p, but the times have changed and now I am completely ignorant. Like are there any unique features on the 1070, useful currently or in the future, over the 980Ti?

Thanks
    I have a 970 and have no plans of investing in first round pascal. In a couple of months round two pascal will be out and will be a better offer than what you see now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Depends entirely on how much you care about DX12 and if online retailers aren't shit goblins about their pricing.
    I don't think DX12 is very applicable for Nvidia products yet. I don't believe a 1070 is worth buying over a 980 Ti. In many ways, with a bit of overclocking, a 980 Ti can be just as good or better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I don't think DX12 is very applicable for Nvidia products yet. I don't believe a 1070 is worth buying over a 980 Ti. In many ways, with a bit of overclocking, a 980 Ti can be just as good or better.
    Agreed. I went with the same upgrade path you're thinking of and it cost me £100(second hand 980ti and selling my 970 at the perfect time). I have a QHD monitor and it has no problem with anything I throw at it.

Worth or not, depends entirely on your needs and wants, as well as what content you are running on your PC. If you want to max out everything at any available game title at 1440p as well as run some graphics applications in the process (youtube, streaming, etc.), some might argue that even 1070 is not enough. Also, if you are into overclocking and can optimize your PC well, you can achieve similar results with 980Ti as with 1070. Basically, 1070 is worth it if you do not want to tinker with your system and want to have some power to spare. 980Ti is perfectly viable and equal to 1070 for all current content at 1440p if you dig into optimization.
    That said, personally I do not consider either cards nessessary for 99% player base. If you really need the extra power of 1070 for your gaming needs and 1060 (which is just under 250$) is not enough for you, then I would really consider getting a 1080 instead. You either future proof your PC performance by getting a decent performance buffer, in case some titles come out in less than ideal optimization (Fallout 4 anyone?), of face that you will have to lower quality bars in the very near future anyways. You can get comfortable 45fps+ at 1440p at max settings with all current titles even on a 970 though. There is really no rush to change your card.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2016-10-22 at 09:11 PM.

980Ti is in the breakpoint of VRAM that you can move up to even the most poorly optimized of HQ textures, which imo is the only thing worth buying for in the current generation(s). Thats by far the most bang for your buck you'll get in general gaming over the next few years.

That said though, I don't know where you get the 100 bucks extra from, they should be around the same price give or take, with some odd second hand snags that could be worth a punt at a little lower.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    You can get 1070's for under $370