Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How Patriotic is the average American?

Not sure if Patriotic is the word I need to be using, if not feel free to correct me. Basically, on tv and in movies (I know this generally is not accurate but hang in there), Americans seem to be super Patriotic, can name all the presidents, know their history to a tee etc. I'm from the UK and sure, I can tell you who has been Prime minister in my lifetime and I can name a couple from recent history who were before my time but were famous for what they achieved. The sad fact is, I can probably name more American presidents than I can my own countries leaders. This is all from films and tv as I have never studied american history so I assume that the average American would know more than me based on that alone.

So how Patriotic are Americans and why is it so important for you? I don't feel I am missing something because I cant name that last 200 years of Prime Ministers and I'm not alone, my parents and friends can only name those in their lifetimes with a few exceptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    The average American I believe is pretty patriotic. Most would lay down their lives for this country. And then there's some who are uber patriotic. You can't tell them anything. It's you either "love this country or get out!"

Myself not so much. It could be a lot better but it could be a lot worst.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Relevant for this discussion:

It's a very diverse country, some are patriotic, some aren't. Most young people everywhere aren't very patriotic and the US is no exception, you become patriotic as you get older. It correlates to voting that way, young people don't vote much.

Because we live on such a vast land mass we're very isolationist so if we are patriotic we don't compare the US to other countries.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Relevant for this discussion:
    So you're saying self-proclaimed patriots are just murderous nationalists?.
    Or the more common patriotism is ok, nationalism is terribad?
    Both are pretty stupid interpretations to begin with. But I guess it's important to note how easily this debate turns into a semantic one.

The average American is pretty patriotic. Yeah, you get a few people, a disproportionate number of them online who hate America and like to bash it cause they're edgelords, but most of us love our country. It's weird when you think this is normal and then you talk to the average European, ask them about their country and the usual response is, "eh, it's a country!"

Also another reason we love our country is because in terms of the land and diversity it's absolutely beautiful and resource rich. You could not ask for a better place to live, in my opinion. We have it all in terms of climate choice, types of terrain and environment, etc. If you like a particular type of environment or climate or anything really, there is a state you can find it in.

Despite how fiercely we disagree about how to govern it, I think it's safe to say that we virtually all love our home.

everyone screams about how not saluting the flag is disrespectful to america and the military, meanwhile in the military everyone runs from colors.

so to answer the question, the average american is as "patriotic" as its convenient to be.

I can name all the first ministers of our democracy. Then again we've only had four so far.
    I can name a handful of American first ladies. Which is bizarre, since I don't have that kind of knowledge about mine. I think we're all globally American patriots in a sense.

Depends what you consider the "average" american.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    everyone screams about how not saluting the flag is disrespectful to america and the military, meanwhile in the military everyone runs from colors.

so to answer the question, the average american is as "patriotic" as its convenient to be.
    I'd say what you see online is probably not the same as those you live near by. Or that's just my impression.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I'd say what you see online is probably not the same as those you live near by. Or that's just my impression.
    i just think its funny that people make a big deal out of patriotism, as long as they are not called to fulfill a civic duty, like voting or jury duty or obeying minor laws or even joining a service etc... then suddenly the big bad government is out to get them.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am patriotic to the sin'dorei nation.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Considering the outrage over a football player kneeling during the national anthem I would say very.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Considering the outrage over a football player kneeling during the national anthem I would say very.
    superficially patriotic, which I think describes a fairly large section of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post

Flag demonstrations and the ilk are more about attention whoring than anything else really. You do that sort of thing, and hope someone notices, or preferably posts about it on social media.

I suspect that if push comes to shove, people would be far more patriotic than you'd expect. Humans tend to be fairly tribal in nature.

As patriotic as the average Christian American is religious.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am unsure. American's dedication to their country has not really been tested.

American's haven't had to struggle or face truly bad times in a long while. I mean we are experiencing brutal economic anemia in many areas. Maybe we shall see how well patriotism survives in America hearts as the going continues to get rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Patriotic enough to put a bumper sticker on their car and stand for a flag.

Not patriotic enough to defend any other American regardless of context, or respect each others rights and opinions, or even pay a little bit extra by buying American in order to give American workers a job.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think America is the best nation in the entire world. I have several friends who feel the same.

But I am conservative. Most liberals probably think the EU is the shining beacon to follow. Or that it's unfair we are so "privileged" and we should worsen our country to try and be "fair" to poor, lesser nations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    I think America is the best nation in the entire world. I have several friends who feel the same.

But I am conservative. Most liberals probably think the EU is the shining beacon to follow. Or that it's unfair we are so "privileged" and we should worsen our country to try and be "fair" to poor, lesser nations.
    so a self perpetuating circle jerk of this:
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.