Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Convince me to play Spriest

Hi guys! I'm actually playing Holy Paladin and I'm planning to rerroll to a ranged DPS class. I love "darkish" style and 2 classes pop out of my mind: Warlock or Spriest.

What can you tell me to convince me to play Spriest instead of Warlock? I only do PvE (hardcore-ish raider). Pros, cons, whatever!

Deleted
    SPriest is just a straight up better warlock right now, maybe that changes in 4 days though ^^

Go warlock, demonology is doing amazing dps now in all type of scenarios. S2P right now is really clunky and not even the devs know how to properly balance the spec.

Play Warlock. Its a safe choice. Shadow priest is on the verge of being nerfed to the ground, and it is already weak everywhere except for raids, where it is going to be inevitably nerfed.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't go play warlock just because all the cool edgy kids that only play FOTM specs are doing it. Play something that you enjoy the lore / fantasy of the class or spec. You only play FOTM specs if you're a new player because everyone else knows that in the next patch the op spec will be nerfed to ashes and Warlock is probably the most nerfed class since the begining of the game, in one patch is God Tier like what destro was in 5.4 then the next patch the same spec is completely ruined

So negative guys. SP is probably the strongest it's been in raids since T11 and all you can come up with is that we're "on the verge of getting nerfed"?

EDIT: play SP because no other class has a mechanic like insanity, whereas almost every class is a builder/spender model like all the lock specs.

If I could go back in time to Legion launch, I wouldn't have rolled a priest. Honest answer.
    The spec is fun, but in a lot of scenarios you just want to rip your hair out.

I enjoy pvping, but with shadow, it just feels like it wasn't beta tested for pvp at all. Or the devs ignored feedback, leaning towards the latter.
    Voidform isn't suited for that part of the game, or questing/dungeons for that matter. So while insanity is fun and cool mechanically, it's a case of looks cool on paper, doesn't work well in game. This is, if you don't raid. I do raid, and it's the only place I can say that I really enjoy shadow.

None of this is likely to be changed, but that's how I feel personally about the spec.

Play SP if you want to gamble on SP staying as strong for raids and if you don't care about having a mediocre experience outside of raids.

Play Warlock if you'd rather have a class that's guaranteed to have at least one decent spec that performs consistent among all types of content in the game.

Spriest currently is only competetive thanks to the surrender to madness talent in pve. This talent 100% kills you when it expires. I don't find this aspect being fun or cool at all. I would not recommend rolling shadow priest right now. They will fix our level 100 talents in 3-4 month from now.
    <inactive>

This thread is entertaining because he has the same thread in the Warlock forum. Just reversed the title. And in both forums people are hating on their class, saying play the other.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    This thread is entertaining because he has the same thread in the Warlock forum. Just reversed the title. And in both forums people are hating on their class, saying play the other.
    Well, both classes have glaring issues in some aspects of the game and neither seems like a great safe choice looking at the future. Warlocks are barely strong enough likely not to receive any buffs. SPs are so strong (on the meters) and so reliant on a specific combination of talents and traits that nerfs are bound to be coming and they might easily put SP in the dumpster tier for all content there is.

Mage is basically the only safe choice for casters there is.

Deleted
    SHADOW PRIEST IS THE MOST AMAZING CLASS EVER CREATED. I fucking love it. It makes you feel like you are a true servant of the void and shadows, your sassy dagger talking here and there explaining you pieces of lore and trying to make you crazy. The playstyle is also fitting the fantasy of the class, you literally descend to madness with all that haste and spells and insanity.
    Now, in the practice it sucks. Basically Surrender to Madness is a too powerful spell. Either its too strong or too shitty. We are only strong in raids and we need double the effort to be equal the other top classes.

My advice? If you play ti enjoy your class then play shadow priest. I've been playing sp for years and it kinda changed how i see my life. I've never been the kind who likes to roleplay and that stuff but this expansion im completely in love with shadow. If you play to be the best you should play another class like mage or warlock. But if you REALLY want to be the best pick the goddamn shadow priest and demonstrate you can stay rellevant even After nerfs (that we are going to get for sure)

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yup, you got me! Anyways, SP guys are more objective with their opinions than lock ones. I've played SP and Lock on previous expansions and I always felt that locks were stronger nearly late expansion than SP, and with artifact system (I love this change btw) it's some difficult choice to make seeing tons of SP being top dps and not seeing locks as we are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    "Help me pick Class" Threads are illegil!
    It's one of the objectives of my thread but actually, it has more than that. How can a Shadow Priest player defend their class? How can a Shadow Priest player spread the word and make more people play Shadow Priest? In warlock forum, they answers like "you are not evil enough to play warlock, go sp". You see what i mean? haha

Quote Originally Posted by droontar View Post
    It's one of the objectives of my thread but actually, it has more than that. How can a Shadow Priest player defend their class? How can a Shadow Priest player spread the word and make more people play Shadow Priest? In warlock forum, they answers like "you are not evil enough to play warlock, go sp". You see what i mean? haha
    Lol, what. If only, its completely opposite. Warlocks are like mage wannabees who throw fel green fireballs instead of red ones and summon demons instead of water elems. Only Affli can be counted as somewhat evil, considering their powers are about pain and suffering... still, I think, being servants of the void lords who destroy galaxies for dinner is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more evil than anything.

Lorewise, SP is amazing. Its dagger is awesome, and some things like a flower of corruption in the end of EN are so cool. If you care about that instead of performance, you definitely should stick with SP. If you care about performance, you'd better go lock, because in this game pures > hybrids, and even iff it is not like that for now, it will be quickly fixed to that state anyways.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Woop Woop View Post
    If I could go back in time to Legion launch, I wouldn't have rolled a priest. Honest answer.
    The spec is fun, but in a lot of scenarios you just want to rip your hair out.

I enjoy pvping, but with shadow, it just feels like it wasn't beta tested for pvp at all. Or the devs ignored feedback, leaning towards the latter.
    Voidform isn't suited for that part of the game, or questing/dungeons for that matter. So while insanity is fun and cool mechanically, it's a case of looks cool on paper, doesn't work well in game. This is, if you don't raid. I do raid, and it's the only place I can say that I really enjoy shadow.

None of this is likely to be changed, but that's how I feel personally about the spec.
    Shadow ain't that bad in arena.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethorian View Post
    Go warlock, demonology is doing amazing dps now in all type of scenarios. S2P right now is really clunky and not even the devs know how to properly balance the spec.
    How does demonology deal with movement ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marinchen View Post
    How does demonology deal with movement ?
    It just hopes that it doesn't have any involved.

Deleted
    Unless you're in a high end guild doing difficult raids don't even bother. Spriests are good on some raid bosses and terrible on every single thing else.

I've never been more miserable playing this game as I am playing a Spriest that will never do high end raiding.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having the same conflict between Shadow and Destruction.

I much prefer the order hall, artifact lore and the class quest of the Shadow Priest but I'm not a big fan of multi-target dot management and rotting mobs. I really want to like it so I can properly play Shadow but it's something that grinds me down while playing whereas Destruction is all about that Chaos Bolt chunking health if mastery is on your side while being much more tanky, cleave and less dot management.

I'm not a big fan of Shadow being designed around one talent either. I know it'll change but I'm willing to bet it won't be for the best unless they rework the entire level 100 talent row which is why it's taking them longer than it should.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.